The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Linda
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Abandoned stories

Postby Linda » Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:47 am

You know, the thing about chocolate getting Vulcans drunk COULD have been from a novel. I don't remember. And I think that canon has picked up on more than one thing from the novels, which then became canon because some episode or some movie used it. I know this has happened, but I can't remember any specifics at the moment.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:13 am

... like the number of Andorian sexes...

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:35 pm

The movie Startrek 4 movie novelization by Vonda McIntyre had Spock eating chocolate and it makes Vulcans act strange.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:15 pm

LOL, the number of Andorian sexes is 4. Why I remember that and not other ST details is a mystery because the Andorians are not my favorite species. The ST universe is quite large, especially the number of published novels let along all the fan fic. I own on DVD all the TV series and the movies but don't watch them enough to keep all the details straight. I would have to rewatch everything every six months to keep that all straight.

Was the effect of chocolate mentioned elsewhere besides Vonda McIntyre's book? I think it must have been because I am sure I have not read that book.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:12 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Alelou, Mueller is Lady Rainbow's... Well, more accurately she has a character named Mueller. There are instances where people randomly pick the same name to give a character. That happened to you and Kotik remember? His Rao and your Rao were not the same. Actually, I saw the name T'Rai in a fic and used it myself but they are not the same person. And I made sure I made a note of it.

And I always cast my OC's. Always.

Actually, it isn't. It's Volley's character in her stories in ff.net. I asked her if I could use him in my stories and she graciously gave me permission, and if he's mentioned, I try to give credit where I can. I try to stick to the history and background Volley's established for him (including his friendship w/Malcolm).
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:31 am

Oh, thank you! At least now I'm not hallucinating that Mueller appears in more than set of stories. I don't think you're the only one to pick him up, either.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Oct 22, 2010 11:34 am

Considering that Mueller is more like a collective term rather than a name (one of the most common surnames in Germany), it's sort of bound to happen.

That we influence and inspire each other is just normal. I've read a truck load of stories on HoT, TriS and Guardian of Forever and whenever I reread some of them I notice small details concepts - sometimes names - that also feature in my stories and I cannot - for the life of it - remember if I was influenced by it or incidentally came up with the same idea. Sometimes makes me feel rather uneasy as I don't want to rip off ideas.

I could name at least 4 instances, where I saw concepts and ideas in stories, which are similar to mine, although I read that story after I publish mine, so it's common that two or more people come up with similar ideas.

Then there's the opposite case, that really gives me rabies :( There's a chapter of "Words" soon to come, where it is established that Sim's transplanted tissue has something to do with Trips latent telepathy and I'm 100% sure I was inspired by a story on HoT, but I can't find it, so I cannot eaven give proper credit :(

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:12 pm

Kotik wrote:There's a chapter of "Words" soon to come, where it is established that Sim's transplanted tissue has something to do with Trips latent telepathy and I'm 100% sure I was inspired by a story on HoT, but I can't find it, so I cannot eaven give proper credit :(

Try Kevin's "New World Man" series. That idea is from there.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:44 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Try Kevin's "New World Man" series. That idea is from there.

Ah, thanks Rigil :mrgreen: I haven't read that one in ages, so it's probably the one I've been looking for. Thanx a lot :)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:39 am

I am interested in reading some of the multi-part stories listed in the main section of TriS. I have been waiting to see when they are finished, because I want to read the whole story at once. Is it usually listed as the conclusion when the last chapter goes up or does it just say chapter 20 or whatever, and then work its way down the list and disappear? If it doesn't definitely say it is the last chapter, I might miss that fact and it will roll off and I will forget the story was there. This is different case from an abandoned story but related in a way.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:39 am

Speaking from my own experience, the chapters are just numbered in the archive. Sometimes an author will give it a title like "The Conclusion" or "Epilogue" but not always. Usually the author's note will reference that it's the conclusion, though. Also if it goes up at New Fanfic Up there's generally some description of it as that.

You can always click through to the last chapter using that >> button and read the author's note, just to see if it sounds like they finished it.

I wish Escriba would come back and finish hers. Sigh.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”