How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:27 am

But alelou, You as, I would say everyone on this board, are above average in intelligence. You are able to accept new ideas, concepts. SciFi seems to draw in that type. People who think the future and what it may bring is exciting. I used to get hee hawed at for reading Sci Fi but much of what I read is now reality.

So, alelou, stop hiding your light under a bushel. You are bright as a new penny.

WG. why do I think you are a Genius Level. Because you sound like you are.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:34 am

Silverbullet wrote:WG. why do I think you are a Genius Level. Because you sound like you are.

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

Well I think that's the first time anyone's told me I sound like a genius through the computer.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:38 am

Maybe you type intelligently? IDK. Only that, regardless of what annoying testers and bits of paper may say, I have trouble understanding what might go into warp physics, so, presumabily, a warp engineer should have to be at least a genius. Give or take a dozen or so points.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:41 am

aadarshinah wrote:I think it says something about society that, while a lot of the main charectors in Trek are geniuses, this fact is rarely commented upon. Not sure what, but it definately says something...

I think it said that the world got off its collective lazy behind and started educating children properly. Letting them be nurtured into their own abilities and talents. Also teachers started giving children confidence that they really could achieve what they set out to do, in practical ways. None of this hollywood bull!

aadarshinah wrote:Maybe you type intelligently?

Again that's a new one. :guffaw:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 am

WG, you would be surprised what you can reveal through the computer. Over many months one can get somewhat of a picture of a person that way.

You sound like a brave woman. You, as I said in another thread, have been dealt a lousy hand but you are playing it for all you are worth. Can't fault that.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:52 am

You're very sweet.

You know all this talk about genius has got me thinking... Maybe one of the reasons he keeps on with T'Pol when things got rough is because she's more of a match for him intellectually, than his other relationships. I mean yeah he admires Hoshi who is also a genius, but since she's only obsessed with languages, and code, it doesn't mesh. Whereas T'Pol has a genius mind, that soaks up a great many different things, (like him) plus can sucessfully challenge him.

Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:00 am

WarpGirl wrote:You know all this talk about genius has got me thinking... Maybe one of the reasons he keeps on with T'Pol when things got rough is because she's more of a match for him intellectually, than his other relationships. I mean yeah he admires Hoshi who is also a genius, but since she's only obsessed with languages, and code, it doesn't mesh. Whereas T'Pol has a genius mind, that soaks up a great many different things, (like him) plus can sucessfully challenge him.

Probably, yeah.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:53 am

Elessar wrote:I know this is OT, but speaking of geniuses, I shared this bit of shocking revelation with Ann the other day - week or so ago, my orbital mechanics prof was talking about Newton and recounting his many, MANY accomplishments (inventing differential and integral calculus, defining the laws of motion, the laws of optics, defining buoyancy, fluid dynamics, atomic nature of matter), when he started in about how his publication Optiks about, of course, optics, had a section in the back of "Inquiries" in which he listed out several propositions or claims for future development that he had either not the time or the empirical evidence to prove.

Two of them essentially covered that he had deduced that "light" (contemporary perception of 'energy') and 'Objects' (mass) were interchangeable; another was that he had observed astronomically that massive objects (the sun) could bend light . So.... he hypothesized special and general relativity 200 years before Einstein :faint:

Well, you had that conversation with someone else, but COOL! I did not know that.

As for geniuses, I consider myself a go-between between genuses and, for lack of a better term, "normal people." Why? Because I can just barely, sort of, follow what the geniuses are saying enouph to help them say it better (my job at the economics journal), or talk them up and recruit them to come speak at our astronomy club (my job at the club for three years). About three years ago, I compiled an newsletter article on a member of our club who was a nuclear chemist and had worked for the Manhatten project. I compliled the article drawing on two previous articles and his own notes. Part of his resume was that he was currently working on a gamma ray telescope based on some totally new concept. The description of that telescope sounded like something straight out of Star Trek. It was like a hyperbolic, superfluitic, self-sealling, gamma ray detector or something. Meanwhile, he didn't see the point of including a cute anicdote about how he had to test some moonrocks and kept the moonrocks in his sock drawer for a week. Anyway, my version of his autobigraphy included both a comprehesible description of his telescope and all his amazing achievements and all the cute personal anicdotes. He died recently and I reposted the article, an autobigraphy written in the first person with my editing help. Many people saw it and remarked on it, like, "Wow, I knew him, and I knew he was accomplished, but I never realized he did all that!" and I felt good that we had put that together.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:08 am

I'm going to say I am what the psychologists (because they make you spend time with them in hospitals after you stay in more than a month) and doctors all told me... "If she didn't have CP and could recognize patterns and stuff, she could be anything." Now, does that make me a real genius? IDK, I don't particularly care all that much. I'm just as flawed and screwed up as any other person. But they tell me I'm intelligent enough to be one, but because of my brain damage there are just certain things I cannot get good at. Puzzles, numbers, the part of my brain that does all of that is damaged. My eyes see perfectly, by brain doesn't tell me what I'm seeing right. I tell ya I can't do basic math because the equasions get jumbled.

All of this of course makes me miserable that the numbers part of Trip's job is completely beyond me. Because it might end up screwing with my writing.

In any case, I like that TnT are intellectual equals. I think they're both capable of becoming good at just about anything they set their brains too. And nothing like a bit of competition to keep things interesting. ;-) Although I did have an idea as to why Trip might not be able to learn languages so well. He does seem quite miffed that it gives him trouble.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:17 am

As it is said: Play to your strengths. Don't sweat the stuff you know you cannot handle because of your problems and go with what you do well. You write well then do that. But do what makesyou comfortable and you can handle easily. take on the hard stuff on occasion becuase that will keep you sharp and on your toes.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:33 am

aadarshinah wrote:Well, we may not be Newton-smart, but we can logic out things like the existance of graduate degrees, so we have to have something going for us. Common sense is often a lot more practically useful than genius.

Quite often I think. My Dad's a genius, but he can't handle life at all. No common sense, can't get anything done.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:17 am

enterprikayak wrote:
aadarshinah wrote:Well, we may not be Newton-smart, but we can logic out things like the existance of graduate degrees, so we have to have something going for us. Common sense is often a lot more practically useful than genius.

Quite often I think. My Dad's a genius, but he can't handle life at all. No common sense, can't get anything done.

Had a woman tell me that once - I think her exact words were, "I can't believe you're such a genius but have no common sense!" To which I replied, "Well I'm sorry if that's not enough," to which she replied "IT'S NOT!"

Note to others: don't get into a public argument of this sort with a woman others aren't supposed to know you're involved with :lol:

I think "genius" is.. what, 150+? Average is like 120. Depends on who you ask and what scales are used, though. I'm not sure I trust them, I've had 3 different scores in my life. Bobby Fischer was 185'ish. Highest scored I think was some piano prodigy in the 1920's at like 240.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:21 am

Elessar wrote:Had a woman tell me that once - I think her exact words were, "I can't believe you're such a genius but have no common sense!" To which I replied, "Well I'm sorry if that's not enough," to which she replied "IT'S NOT!"

Note to others: don't get into a public argument of this sort with a woman others aren't supposed to know you're involved with :lol:

Dude! Seriously??????? Oh man, that is definitely not the arguement you wanna have if nobody is supposed to know you're together! Just had an idea for a TnT tiff. THANKS! :D You've had quite the life and you're younger than me!!! But thank god not by much...

Fics

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:47 am

Yeah now that I'm separated from the situation and I look on it objectively, I'd be amazed if they didn't know anyway.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:48 am

aadarshinah wrote:presumabily, a warp engineer should have to be at least a genius. Give or take a dozen or so points.

Not necessarily. Engineers find practical application for the discoveries and advancements of the theoretical scientists. Sometimes what the geniuses (genii?) like Newton and Einstein discover seem somewhat obvious in retrospect (once you get beyond that flash of brilliant insight and intuition; that moment of 'genius'). The actual concept is understandable by us mere mortals.

As for Newton being ahead of his time, truer words were never spoken! His list of accomplishments is truly staggering. He is also the one who said something along the lines of, "If I have seen farther than anyone else, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants." A fitting tribute to those who came before him.

As for Trip having an office, he *must* have an office, even if we never saw it on the show. Where else would he meet with his Division Officers? (probably a daily occurrence.) He'd need a private place where he could administer the rare ass-chewing to one of his subordinates; his personal quarters would be completely inappropriate for that. No, he has an office, and yes, they are probably pretty small.

Someone on this thread theorized that Trip assisted T'Pol with her FO duties (I can see that happening, if only in the form of giving her advice). They theorized that he would go around at least once a week, meeting with the other department heads. In reality, the FO (acting as the Captain's Chief of Staff), would probably have a daily meeting with all the Department Heads for the purpose of disseminating information and getting feedback from and between departments. The Captain may or may not be present at that meeting, or may just show up every now and then.

So the FO has an office, too. In fact, every Department Head would need their own office, even if we never saw that on 'Enterprise'.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”