How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: How do I know Trip Had a Graduate Degree?

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:54 am

Except its such a small crew, and ship. Trip may have at most 1/2 of the crew working in engineering. But how many Devision Officers could he possibly have? If his crew is about 40 max, than no more than 5. Also I can understand needing a private space for a dressing down, but usually they don't happen instantly.

Also I'm pretty sure T'Pol didn't get an office. And with the way Enterprise was set up I'm betting only Archer had the ready room. Somewhere there's a site with plans of the ship... Of course in season 3 they got a fancy war room. I could see the senior staff just using it for weekly staff runs...
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:08 am

Here are the blueprints... They give T'Pol an office in the science labs, I think, on B deck. I imagine, though, even if neither had an office, there are some just-above-closet-sized corners they could use as temporarily offices. A couple of the rooms, like the transporter theory room, couldn't have been used all that often, and, expecially during season 3, there would have had to have been some open labs or quarters or something that one or the other could have claimed after people died, meaning that there was no one to operate them...

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:20 am

WarpGirl wrote:You know all this talk about genius has got me thinking... Maybe one of the reasons he keeps on with T'Pol when things got rough is because she's more of a match for him intellectually, than his other relationships. I mean yeah he admires Hoshi who is also a genius, but since she's only obsessed with languages, and code, it doesn't mesh. Whereas T'Pol has a genius mind, that soaks up a great many different things, (like him) plus can sucessfully challenge him.

That's what I've always thought. I imagine that he probably dated women who were sweet and cute and fairly intelligent, but not a match for him intellectually until he met T'Pol.

For some reason, this has got me thinking about how genius appears in the students I teach. Nearly every year I have the obvious, amazingly bright kid in the class who is a social nightmare with no common sense. I also usually have at least one kid who, as the year progresses, I realize is actually every bit as smart as the designated class genius. This second kid, though, has figured out somewhere along the line how to speak to his peers so that they understand him, when and when not to talk about "nerd" stuff in class, how to talk to the opposite sex without freaking them out, how to dress fashionably, etc. He doesn't dumb himself down, he just knows how to interact with the other kids. Everyone usually realizes this kid is above average, but it's not until we grade his tests and essays that we realize he's completely brilliant.

I think Trip was that kid in school. He was a genius, but someone (parents, siblings) helped him stay grounded along the way so that he could interact with "regular" people.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby pdsldl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:42 pm

My son began having problems in first grade so they tested him for ADD and it turned out his IQ was the problem. 145 at the time and the doctors explained that just like when they hit puberty the body/brain only has capacity to handle so much and if one side of them, in his case intellect, is overly active and developed or developing the rest suffers. So most highly intellectual people are emotional stunted and have issues so they have to work very hard at keeping themselves balanced and often fail miserably or just give up trying because it's difficult. My son can tell you facts and he reads people easily but is a disaster with the emotional side of his life. If he finds a woman who can put up with him it doesn't last because he can't maintain normal for long. He's sarcastic and an ass a lot of the time and spent hours in therapy when he was younger and made friends but in his case it didn't take well enough. He just doesn't know how to be happy and I see Trip struggling with the same thing. Although someone pointed out that his parents must have figured out how to keep him somewhat grounded he still seems to have learned to bury his emotions and over compensates by being the confident, laid back easygoing guy on the outside. Maybe it was a coping mechanism for his family so they didn't worry about him. And yes T'Pol would be an intellectual challenge for him but also she had similar issues with her emotions.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:52 pm

Well in my little world I made all the Tucker clan extremely smart. Trip is by far the most gifted, but he has a whole family to lean on and give him the support someone with a very high intelligence needs. I think that while "genius" does make it harder for people to maintain connections with others, its not automatically a recipy for disaster. I does make things 1,000,000 times harder. But at least with TnT neither one needs to worry that they're just not on the same level.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:52 pm

My sister used to teach at a gifted program and she would refer to some of her students as "severely gifted."
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:06 pm

Ellesar, as far as I kow the averge is 100. The Bell curve has a low end and a hight end. But 100 is the aveage. So, from what I have read over 200 i s off the chart. Issac Asimov reguarly scored over 200 but that was as far as the chart scored so he was 200 plus.

fischer, like many Genius was great in one thing and average in many pthers. He was a Chess prodigy and had a terrific memory. But he wasn't interested i anything else.

Depemds on what I.Q. test taken. some are heavy on math and some have no math at all. I believe what they should measure is a person s ability to think. I guess there are some who have memorized the tests and later take them and get a high score. Don't know

When I ws tested I had Tinnitus and there was woke being done next door which was very noisy and distrcting. I scored 165 but wonder what it would have been without the distractions.

Staff meeting, I hated them. At one mission the head of missin loved them and had a daily one and a larege one on Friday's.

I think that a walk around manager is best. Staff meetings takes a section head away from his section. An Assistnat FO (such as Trip) could drop in, discuss things and not interrupt the section chief.

The FO (I Believe) shoul dbe a duffer between the commander and the crew. The Captain should be able to concentrate on running the ship while the FO concentrates on running the crew.

IMHO
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:22 pm

The XO would be the buffer between the captain and the crew, but, to an extent, the department heads would be the buffer betweent the XO and their specific crews... Or so I would think. I'm a big fan of hierarchy and flow charts and such, so that's what I would assume.

But, yea, the average should be 100. Evil bell curves. According to the Terman scoring, this is what a "genius" and such would be:

164 and over Genius or near genius
148 - 164 Very superior intelligence
132 - 148 Superior intelligence
113 - 132 Above average intelligence
84 - 113 Normal or average intelligence
68 - 84 Dullness
52 - 68 Borderline deficiency
Below 52 Definite feeble-mindedness

Weschler ranks it this way:

128 and over Very superior
120 - 127 Superior
111 - 119 Bright normal
91 - 110 Average
80 - 90 Dull normal
66 - 89 Borderline
65 and below Defective

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:37 pm

[quote=Silverbullet]So, alelou, stop hiding your light under a bushel. You are bright as a new penny.[/quote]

Well, let's just say there is clear empirical evidence three weeks into my classes that I still can't remember some students' names, and that's really bad compared to earlier semesters. I'm also making a lot of stupid typos.

I know I once was intelligent (I did supposedly test high, though my mother wouldn't tell me how high because she said it would screw me up), but whatever that number was ... age or fatigue or whatever it is I'm dealing with right now is reducing it Grrrrr!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:54 pm

Alelou I can't even remember my own phone number! I seriously doubt your intelligence is going away.The mind just starts to work differently over time. Mine does. But you haven't "lost" anything, maybe you just need to re-train your brain to do it a different way. I'm obsessed with these puzzle things because it forces the things I don't normally see to be recognized in some way.

Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:00 pm

I can randomly remember my phone number from when I was like 6 but, for the life of me, keep on forgetting that I got a new phone number when they took my work cell from me when AT&T laid me off 18+ months ago, and keep on wanting to tell people that's what it is. Though, granted, I hardly ever give out this new cell number and, when I was working for AT&T, I gave that out like candy to all my customers and it was on business cards and everything...

I miss my business cards... :(

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:56 pm

I used to dial my home phone all tthe time. Thereby remembering the key stroke sounds. BUT now that I live alone I never call my house. So I don't remember the number. I'm awful with numbers period.

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:49 pm

The last time my phone number changed in 1992 it took me six months to learn it. I kept it written on a piece of paper in my wallet for the longest time. And yet I can remember things I've read 25 years ago in detail. Kinda sucks when I want to go back and read a novel I haven't read in a while. Most of the time I remember the ending before I get there. But it's handy at work when I have to retrieve some trivial medical detail I learned in med school. At least I generally remember the name of the condition so I can go look it up.

Our buddy Bether, on the other hand, remembers the birthdates of practically everyone she's ever met. Some people can do that.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:56 pm

When I was working I carried around at least five safe combinations, two Vault Door Combinations plus two combo padlock numbers in my head. culdn't writ ethem down as that was against regs case I lost the paper somewhere.

Could keep all of the numbers in one safe but if I couldn't remember that safe combinatin I was screwed big time.

I remember in school getting an I.Q. test. I asked what the result was and the teacher said: Cannot tell you. If it is high you will get a fat head and if it is too low you will feel bad and if it is average you don't need to know. I never found out. Typical though

I am having a helll of a time remeering names these days. comes with age. Frustrating. Words too.

Don't worry Al;elou as long as you can keep writing those wonderful missing scenes there is nothing wrong with your smarts.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:21 am

Tell that to Isiah when I call him Brian and Brittany when I call her Hannah and Shane when I call him Antwon, and ...

Sigh. I even had them do name tags, but it's ridiculous and embarrassing that I should still need them at this point.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”