Preferred approach to a TnT story

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Preferred approach to a TnT story

Postby Kotik » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:39 am

There's a lot of discussing about writing in general going on at the moment (soundtrack thread, writers block thread), so I decided to add to the mêlée and ping peoples brain about the preferred approach when writing a TnT story. Here's what I either think or saw:

The pre-expanse approach
Two extremely well writen pieces of that variety are Zane Grey's "Differential" and of course "Divergent Paths" by Rigil Kent. I think that approach is somewhat easier because it allows to avoid some very annoying Canon things, like the Trellium-addiction or this whole Koss marriage malarkey, but it also requires a very careful build-up of a romantic connection that wasn't yet on-screen at that time. I've never tried that so far, because I'm not quite confident in my abilities to build up a romance the way Rigil has done for instance.

The season 4 rewrite approach
I think the master-piece in that genre is the Reconnecting series over at HoT. The general approach appears to be a rewrite of "Home" and taking it from there or starting right after Home. From an authors point of view, I would say that this is one of the easier options to make a good one, as it allows a lot of heartbreak in the aftermath of the forced marriage, while not having to deal with much of the season 4 angst.

The post-"Bound" or post-"Terra Prime" approach
In my opinion the hardest start, because one has to jump through a plethora of hoops to make sense of the trellium thing and lots of season 4 you-know-what. But then some very inspired things have been written using that method. TLR's series that starts with "Little Lizzie" comes to mind.

The missing scenes approach
Guess it goes without saying that Alelou is the undisputed master of that genre, but I've seen a lot of good ones over at HoT as well. I think this one makes it easy for the author as by the very nature of a 45min TV show, there's a lot of unexplained things or gaps in the plot to fill. nearing the completion of "Broken Bow, Part2" for my ENT Revisited I was amazed how much space there is to fill in the pilot. Of course along come challenges, like ANiS or "The Seventh", where filling in TnT interaction takes quite a lot of imagination.

The road less travelled
Something that I always wondered is that not too many people tried to take things AU from the start. I remember reading one story, where Earth and Vulcan were at war, but that's the only real complete rewrite I can immediately remember. Anyone having an idea why that is so rare?

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Preferred approach to a TnT story

Postby honeybee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 am

As far as I'm concerned, there's no "preferred approach" any more than there is a preferred genre. A good writer writes what inspires them and can spin a good story out of any approach. Whatever I read or write, depends either on my creative vision at the time or whether or not I like what the writer has done.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 am

hb:

I'm not only asking from an authors, but also a readers point of view. I started out as preferring the post-"terra prime" variant (most of my stories start around there), but I'm developing a serious fondness for stories that start before the Expanse, because they tend to avoid some serious pet-peeves of mine (Neuropressure as a plot-crutch, Trellium desaster, Koss etc.)

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 am

I don't think I have a preferred approach to a TnT story as a reader. In the beginning I read mostly post-Terra Prime stories, but if any one can make a good story about another season or episode to start off and uses the advantages of than season/episode (for example you mentioned the season four angst), I am happy to read that story. :D I perfer "canonly" stories, but a couple of my favorites are techniquely AU. I am not a fan of MU, but I have read some great MU stories.

Basicly, when some one write from their heart and makes an effort to write an story, as reader you will noticed that and value the fic accordingly. I do any way. So I can only encourage writers to write their story.

As a writer, I like to twist canon a little bit, so it makes more sense for me. I am brooding for all long time on a rewrite of The Seventh (you find hints of this in stories of mine already posted). In The Seventh T'Pol came across as weak - which I found rather odd and I like to twist a story to explain what really happened to diminish that impression. The same goes as the story I am working now, a sort of final fix/rewrite of *the_abomination* and a couple of missing scenes I wrote.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:08 pm

panyasan wrote:As a writer, I like to twist canon a little bit, so it makes more sense for me. I am brooding for all long time on a rewrite of The Seventh (you find hints of this in stories of mine already posted). In The Seventh T'Pol came across as weak - which I found rather odd and I like to twist a story to explain what really happened to diminish that impression. The same goes as the story I am working now, a sort of final fix/rewrite of *the_abomination* and a couple of missing scenes I wrote.

An excellent point here. I really like season rewrites and missing scenes. I've read Alelou's missing scenes so often, I can almost know some of them by heart. :lol:
Aadarshinah (rightly so) declared me stark raving bonkers for attempting ENT Revisited, but I'm unseemly pleased with how my version of "Broken Bow" turned out, especially the soon-to-come part 2. Taking an episode and giving it a somewhat different vibe then the original is an almost obscenely rewarding experience and it allows to incorporate the deleted scenes, like that sweet Malcolm/Hoshi interaction after the away mission to Rigel X :mrgreen:

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:21 pm

I think that the "approach" one takes as a writer should depend on what kind of story one is trying to tell. One conflict/resolution may work well as a Season 4 rewrite but not as a missing moment, for example. So my "preferred approach" is whatever will serve the story.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:47 pm

What's really great is if you approach a fic with an open mind and heart, and let a good writer do their thing. Even if you end up not liking it, to learn to appreciate someone exploring something new and different is never a bad thing. It's much more rewarding than being shackled by one's own prejudices.

Like most TnT shippers, I have an aversion to *the_abomination* as canon - but several writers have written gorgeously within that canon while trying to correct it - and I've been rewarded with a great reading experience.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:32 pm

I'll just answer what my favorite time period to be inspired by is... I like after Terra Prime for writing, because I think that for Trek if you don't jump through a lot of hoops for a relationship it takes all the fun out of it. Every ship in Trek has done it, and usually it makes me want them to succeed more. Than there's the fact that the last scene in Terra Prime all but shouted We will make this work in spite of the past two years! And I like stories that show how they go about doing that.

Now as for what I read... Just about everything, but I really cannot get into the E2 universe. It's just not my cup of tea. I've tried, and I know amazing authors who are incredible do it. But I just don't find it fun to read. It has nothing to do with an author's skill.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:24 pm

As a reader: Anything that's well written despite where in their relationship journey TnT are -- also don't care if it's RU, AU or MU.

As a writer: I don't write a whole lot in the RU. But so far, I have stuck to canon and tend to take a "missing scenes" or "missing episode" -- typically post-"Bound" -- approach. I am one of the few that prefers the MU as a writer. But, other than "Unexpect This!" in which I exaggerated things for artistic license (for comedic purposes), I think why I enjoy working in the MU is giving those characters a depth that they lack on the show. I have a huge alternate MU story where it's really nothing like "In a Mirror, Darkly"... which happened by accident since I started that based on the only two spoilers I had before the episodes aired (Trip has a scar -- no idea how small or big -- & and the MU characters would not be interacting with the RU crew). And honestly, I like my A-MU better, and as I continue with the next installment, I enjoy writing what I would like to have seen on the show. LOL But recently I've started musing in the canon MU too. And I find that I am tending to give my characters an opportunity to show a side that is not onscreen. I guess some part of me can't really believe that any of those characters are evil beyond repair. :-p

I have only one fic in the works that is post-season 4 (very, very post season 4 -- post Romulan War even)... but it's not about TnT (though they do make an appearance). I doubt I will write anything in the RU that's not based in the 4th season -- if even the bug hits again after I finish "Unexpected Too"... which I kinda doubt it will.
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:09 pm

Misplaced wrote:And honestly, I like my A-MU better, and as I continue with the next installment, I enjoy writing what I would like to have seen on the show.

So do I!

Misplaced wrote:I have only one fic in the works that is post-season 4 (very, very post season 4 -- post Romulan War even)... but it's not about TnT (though they do make an appearance). I doubt I will write anything in the RU that's not based in the 4th season -- if even the bug hits again after I finish "Unexpected Too"... which I kinda doubt it will.

Would it be so bad if it did? Because I'll tell ya Unexpected Too blows my socks off. And I'm usually too weirded out by a pregnant human male to really get into stories based on the episode. Not that I hadn't tried before you. I totally think you should get bitten. Although with six kids I wonder how you have the time... But I admire it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:37 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Would it be so bad if it did? Because I'll tell ya Unexpected Too blows my socks off. And I'm usually too weirded out by a pregnant human male to really get into stories based on the episode. Not that I hadn't tried before you. I totally think you should get bitten. Although with six kids I wonder how you have the time... But I admire it.

"Unexpected Too" wouldn't have come about without the challenge. The only RU story that screamed from my soul to get out was "Don't Want to Let Go"... personally I don't think "Unexpected Too" has the same depth as the other stuff that I have just itching to get written. Not that I'm forcing it. It just isn't a story that I was dying to write, thought it's been interesting.

Shocking secret of a writer revealed! :lol:

My heart is not in the RU, not really. And I have read so many amazing fanfics from the RU over the years that it's possible that I feel like there isn't a story I want to contribute that's any different than what's done before -- and done well. Which is why, I believe that the bug won't bite again. But I'm not closed off. Eventually any fanfic, if the bug hits, will have to be when I'm taking a creative break from original work, though. So this plethora of fic that is pouring out of me now... well the tide will recede eventually.

And as to how I do it with 6 kids. I am blessed to be a stay-at-home mom... and it's a misnomer that you can't have a life when you have a brood. My children can entertain themselves and each other just fine. But the truth is... most of my writing is done while the majority of them are in school and the little ones are napping, and after they all go to bed at night. I just write really fast. LOL
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:39 pm

Misplaced wrote:And as to how I do it with 6 kids. I am blessed to be a stay-at-home mom... and it's a misnomer that you can't have a life when you have a brood. My children can entertain themselves and each other just fine. But the truth is... most of my writing is done while the majority of them are in school and the little ones are napping, and after they all go to bed at night. I just write really fast. LOL

You are seriously my new hero. I'm not kidding.

Well All of your stories are fabulous so whatever you write I wanna read. And when you are the action/adventure writer on the NY Times bestseller list know I'll be buying. So you better give me a heads up. :thumbsup:

Fics

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Postby ginamr » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:00 pm

I've done both the post-Bound/Terra Prime approach and the missing scenes approach, though let's not forget the awesomeness of the AU approach...aka not acknowledging anything that the writer doesn't want to be true.
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm

For some reason I'm most inspired to write missing scenes or rewrites from the first two seasons, though I enjoyed watching the last two seasons far more. I have several unfinished stories that I'll probably get back to in a few weeks. I prefer to write stories that stretch canon but don't directly contradict it. However, I am toying with a season three rewrite that puts T'Pol's trellium problem in a completely different light.

As a reader, I have read really great stories from a variety of approaches. I used to think I didn't like MU stories, but I've read so many good ones lately that that's no longer true! If it's a believable, well-written story, I'll give it a chance.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”