Non-TnT pairings

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Non-TnT pairings

Postby Kotik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:13 pm

I'm having a bit of difficulty to find the correct subforum for this, so I leave it to the mod's to move it if it fits better somewhere else. The "Twighlight" discussion and skimming through the Malcolm/Hoshi forum made me rethink some pairing, that I've seen (or thought about), so I thought I'd start a discussion here about some of them:

AinT
The producers tried to shove that one down our throats, especially in season 2, but it was exactly that - they pushed it, it didn't evolve as there wasn't any chemistry to speak of between those two. There're die-hard AinT'ers, but I don't think they saw the same show as most of us.

Archer/Hernandez
Those two have definitely more potential. It was sad that their history wasn't explored further. They should have canned the whole alien nazi thing and make "Home" a two-parter. I've seen some Archer/Hernandez stories (they are a secondary pairing in "Words", too)

Archer/T'Pau
It takes a bit of a stretch of imagination, but I think they had more chemistry than Archer/T'Pol. Both started off as adversaries (T'Pau willingly risking to fry his brain or even kill him, when she tried to nick Surak's katra). By the end of their desert hike, they got along quite well and I think the pointy-eared brat had developed some respect for the human.

Trip/Ahlen
Well, he got in her pant... erm... bowl o' rocks, but I don't think there's much of a chemistry here and what I always disliked about that episode was, that nobody gave a damn about Trip being practically abused here.

Trip/Liana
They had a good chemistry, but Liana's affection struck me more like a teenage crush or something similar. I think with a nicely written story, those two could work out.

Trip/Kaitaama
She seems to be generally disliked (where does that fish-stick thing come from?), but having seen that episode several times, I think there're more than subtle signs of some chemistry. Her reaction, when he says that her life must be quite lonely, clearly shows that he had hit the bulls-eye. I think in the last 3rd of the episode her insufferable character is more likely a facade to avoid admitting something to a commoner. Being a spoilt brat is obviously in the job description of all royal heirs apparent across the universe.
One very telling thing is the scene, where she cares for his wound. The way she hands him the syringe/bottle without looking up or saying what she wants him to do, is a nice harbinger of what should later become the defining element of TnT - they work together well.

Soval/Amanda
No idea were that comes from. There was no interaction on screen between them, so I think that one came out of left-field. I cannot remember the names, but I've seen at least 2 stories about them and they were nicely done, even though I don't know where that pairing comes from :dunno:

Any other ideas about unorthodox pairings? Maybe even story-links?

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Re: Non-TnT pairings

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:38 pm

Kotik wrote:Archer/Hernandez
Those two have definitely more potential. It was sad that their history wasn't explored further. They should have canned the whole alien nazi thing and make "Home" a two-parter. I've seen some Archer/Hernandez stories (they are a secondary pairing in "Words", too)

...and yet it's a different girl he goes to say "I'm going off to war and will never see you again," before he leaves for the Expanse in... "The Expanse." Still, def more potential. Especially from the way they make it seem they only broke up when he got uncomfortable for outranking her.

Kotik wrote:Archer/T'Pau
It takes a bit of a stretch of imagination, but I think they had more chemistry than Archer/T'Pol. Both started off as adversaries (T'Pau willingly risking to fry his brain or even kill him, when she tried to nick Surak's katra). By the end of their desert hike, they got along quite well and I think the pointy-eared brat had developed some respect for the human.

I'll admit to being more addicted to this ship than I should. But, goodness, it's one of those insidious ones that I can't ignore. And seeing as how T'Pau is both young-for-a-Vulcan and younger than Archer and, by the fourth season, Trip too, there are all sorts of "robbing the craddle" jokes that you can make that seem so much funnier when you're talking about a Vulcan...

But what other pairings have I seen?

Malcolm/Hoshi
Kinda ubiquitious and sometimes I feel they're paired up just because they're both senior officers, but I've def seen it work in stories. They have the stiff British/outgoing linguist thing that mirrors Trip and T'Pol's relationship in a way that tv people like to do with secondary charectors and their relationships.

Travis/Hoshi
DivPaths and Differential are the only real places I've seen this, but I've liked it both times. Has a leg up on the above because Hoshi and Travis are so much closer in age, though I usually don't go for this ship.

Archer/Hoshi
The only real evidence for this one is in the MU, but everything that happens in MU is a reflection of the RU, so there might be something. I always saw the relationship as more mentor-student then romantic, but, given the right story... It's also one of my guilty pleasures.

Soval/Hernadez
Pure unadulterated crack that I only mention because I get a giggle just thinking about it.

And that's all I got at the moment.

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian
Show On Map: No

Postby enterprikayak » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:08 pm

aadarshinah wrote:Archer/Hoshi
The only real evidence for this one is in the MU, but everything that happens in MU is a reflection of the RU, so there might be something. I always saw the relationship as more mentor-student then romantic, but, given the right story... It's also one of my guilty pleasures..

I have some unpublished sequel stuff for the coitus series that has archer sending hoshi away on a dangerous undercover mission in enemy space (like they did in tng with ensign Sito Jaxa) and she doesn't come back until, like, seven years later, and she's all hardcore and she and archer have a thing. Maybe one day I'll finish it.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:14 pm

Oh man, I wish you would finish it.

They cut that scene with Archer and his British-accented girlfriend out of "The Expanse," didn't they? Thankfully. It was seriously deficient in chemistry. He did a lot better with Hernandez, and I would have welcomed more of that.

I could also totally go for Archer/Sato. I think they're well-matched in everything but age. However, realistically, I see it more as a wistful thought that would never get played out by either of them. It'd be hot as one of those desert island things, though. (Yes, this is offered with the full knowledge I'll probably get vomiting smilies in response. Always so pleasant.)

The only reason I could go for Amanda/Soval is that some of my favorite fanfic writers have done it, and they can make me buy anything. On my own, I can't imagine why they'd ever even have a conversation.

Malcolm/Amanda - Rigil has this one going and I think it has a lot of potential for heat and excitement.

Malcolm/Hayes -- They always had great chemistry. 8)

Travis/Gannet -- Makes me gag. Least favorite aspect of Demons/Terra Prime. I think I might like Travis to be gay, now that I think of it. Infuse Travis with just 10% of Lafayette from True Blood and he'd be about 100 times more interesting. Give him the occasional alien/passing sailor love interest. That'd be fun.

I can't buy T'Pau/Archer. T'Pau wouldn't want to pollute her Vulcan purity with any gross Human cooties. Though I suppose I could possibly buy her getting into a twisted sexual relationship with some Human politician whose interests seem to align with hers, then ending up disliking Humans even more when she realizes her Vulcan-ness has been had.

I don't hate Princess Fish Sticks either, Kotik. I think they had some chemistry, and I wouldn't have minded seeing that relationship developed more if T'Pol wasn't around ... but she was.

I also sometimes muse about a depressed and traumatized Archer checking back in with his favorite alien apothecary someday. If I cared more about Archer, that's a fic I could enjoy writing.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:18 pm

Kotik wrote:Soval/Amanda
No idea were that comes from. There was no interaction on screen between them, so I think that one came out of left-field. I cannot remember the names, but I've seen at least 2 stories about them and they were nicely done, even though I don't know where that pairing comes from :dunno:

Ahhhh... My second favorite 'ship. *sigh* At HoT, in the TnTers section there is Soval's Annex. I don't know for certain, but I believe the pairing happened first in some work by "ShouldKnowBetter"... I think starting in her "Daybreak" series. My two favorite S/A fics by her are: "A Truth Universally Acknowledged" and "There is No Sin but Ignorance"

I also lean a little Archer/Hoshi. And my favorite fic about them is "Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep"

The other 'ships mentioned... I don't personally see. Though I am okay with Malcolm/Hoshi despite my Archer/Hoshi leanings. ;)
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:23 pm

Yes, exactly, and ShouldKnowBetter is probably my favorite fanfic author. When life has gone to shit, I reread "The Rainbow's Foot" and ache along with poor miserable T'Pol and poor desperately confused Trip until it all works out in the end.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:28 pm

Alelou wrote:Yes, exactly, and ShouldKnowBetter is probably my favorite fanfic author. When life has gone to shit, I reread "The Rainbow's Foot" and ache along with poor miserable T'Pol and poor desperately confused Trip until it all works out in the end.

She is certainly one of mine. I came to Soval's Annex after the series ended and discovered her work. (I've read everything by her, not just her S/A fics) It was her writing that convinced me of the potential pairing, even though the two never interacted onscreen, and inspired my own fic that I've been working on (off and on) for years. :)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:28 pm

"Princess Fishstick" is just a fanon thing because most people, (regardless of their particular shipping habits) don't really like her. Well... She is a bit unlikeable. That and the actresses portrayal wasn't all that good. And I'm saying this based on reviews of the episode. My own opinion is I didn't pay enough attention to notice the acting I was looking at CT all wet and grubby. :drool: Honestly, I felt the TNG version of this episode was so great that I just kind of ignored the plot, and enjoyed eye-candy.

The pairings...

Malcolm/Hoshi- Probably more of my favorite pairing on screen than some others in Trek, (for example, Worf/Troi) I like that they balance out a lot! They are very, very alike yet they deal with those things in entirely different ways. Plus I just feel so bad that Trip, Archer, and Travis got women and Malcolm did not. :( It's just not fair.

Travis/Hoshi- Nope not for me. I act like Travis and Hoshi do with my younger brother. Exactly like that. So creepy vibes for me. There is no sex appeal there. Not like when Hoshi told Malcolm to blow the Klingon Torpedos. Plus Travis is usually just there... And I liked him with Gammet.

Archer/Hernandez- OK I don't mind this one. I love Erika! She was awesome. I think she's a great lady and she would be a great partner for him. But I don't see it working out because I don't see Archer settling down and having a family. He's destined for greatness according to ENT and I think he's just a guy who would walk that path alone.

Archer/T'Pau- My only real objection is that according to ST.com and a few magazines it would really get in the way of T'Pau being Spock's great-grandmother. Other than that, I can't really see them making it work, she rules Vulcan he becomes president of the Federation. Nope.

Archer/Hoshi- I find this might be a case of too much "Being in love with the person in authority" or too much hero worship. IDK I just see the potential for abuse of power in this realationship on both sides.

Soval/Amanda- Linda I love you! This isn't a pairing that I wait for stories about, however they are so well done that I love it when they're part of a really, really, great TnT fic.

Soval/Hernandez- Hmmm. Could be interesting. Never thought of it.

Trip/Assorted Beauties- Well he never intended to have sex with Ah'len according to the transcript so I don't really consider them a pairing. Lianna that is confusing for me, on one hand she is pretty great, on the other hand, she struck me as a teenager type. IDK why Trip went for her romantically. Princess... Was it supposed to be like Roman Holliday or something? I just think he might have had too long of a dry spell at that point. I didn't see why he did it.

Here's one I wish I'd see more of Shran/Talas! I'm not really into Shran/Jhamel for the same reason I don't care for Trip/Liana, she's just too child-like. But that said I've seen them done beautifully. Especially by Rigil.

Maybe this should be in the non-ship thread.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:38 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Soval/Amanda- Linda I love you! This isn't a pairing that I wait for stories about, however they are so well done that I love it when they're part of a really, really, great TnT fic.

That's how it all started in the first place. :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:40 pm

Yeah. :D
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:42 pm

Alelou wrote:I can't buy T'Pau/Archer. T'Pau wouldn't want to pollute her Vulcan purity with any gross Human cooties. Though I suppose I could possibly buy her getting into a twisted sexual relationship with some Human politician whose interests seem to align with hers, then ending up disliking Humans even more when she realizes her Vulcan-ness has been had.

I can :raspberry: Actually there is some virtual season 5 (I believe by Distracted), which had T'Pau develop a crush on Archer. The scene that sold it to me was when Super!Surak!Archer knocked out Talok with that nerve-pinch. The way she dryly remarks "Your technique has improved" to me has a vibe of her realizing that there's more to that human than meets the eye. But then, when it comes to this Vulcan, I'm utterly biased, because the shallow me thinks she's utterly gorgeous. In fact Kara Zediker looked somewhat cuter in Vulcan makeup than without

Alelou wrote:I don't hate Princess Fish Sticks either, Kotik. I think they had some chemistry, and I wouldn't have minded seeing that relationship developed more if T'Pol wasn't around ... but she was.

There were season 4 episodes, where I seriously thought that Trip would have been better off with her. Maybe T'Pol was around, but she didn't give him the time of day for at least two more years.
I think much of the dislike for Kaitaama comes from the rotten character that she initially displayed and the fact that the longhaired bimbo, who played her, couldn't act her way out of a paperbag didn't help either. I seriously liked the change in her attitude, once she had been shown, what it is like to be given a darn good seeing-to by a proper human male :lol:

Alelou wrote:I also sometimes muse about a depressed and traumatized Archer checking back in with his favorite alien apothecary someday. If I cared more about Archer, that's a fic I could enjoy writing.

I forgot her. True they had some nice chemistry there :)

Another funny pairing that I read about was Archer/T'Les :badgrin: There's a story called "You're What?" over at HoT, which has T'Les develop a less than subtle crush on Archer. I actually found it quite funny - if nothing else, just for the absolute ridiculousness of the idea :mrgreen:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:50 pm

I guess since Princess was such an alien "babe of the week" I didn't give her so much thought. She certainly seemed just as casual about it all as Trip. I really think that episode was strictly a sex thing and not a pairing thing. When I think of a pairing I think of an actual relationship consumated or not.

Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:01 pm

WG, I think that was more than just a mindless romp in the swamp - at least for her. In the escape-pod she tells him that she was 'courted by many young men from noble families' and evidently none of them made the cut, so there must have been something in Trip that fascinated her to the point that she threw herself at him. I think it was the fact that he was not intimidated by her bossing him around. She could have taken that as a sign of strength.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:35 pm

Kotik wrote:Another funny pairing that I read about was Archer/T'Les There's a story called "You're What?" over at HoT, which has T'Les develop a less than subtle crush on Archer. I actually found it quite funny - if nothing else, just for the absolute ridiculousness of the idea

Oh my god. that's even worse than some of the Sarek/Winona Kirk ones I've seen. Don't get me wrong, would probably be hillarious as anything, but that's just... wrong, on so many levels.

WarpGirl wrote:Archer/Hoshi- I find this might be a case of too much "Being in love with the person in authority" or too much hero worship. IDK I just see the potential for abuse of power in this realationship on both sides.

Def wouldn't be a perfect relationship, especially not at first, but I could see it in the "E2"-verse.

Alelou wrote:I think I might like Travis to be gay, now that I think of it. Infuse Travis with just 10% of Lafayette from True Blood and he'd be about 100 times more interesting. Give him the occasional alien/passing sailor love interest. That'd be fun.

To quote, "That is really amazing. That really is truly amazing. That is so amazingly amazing I think I’d like to steal it.”

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 pm

Trip/Ah'len. The writers never told us how Ah'Len got the Embryo, that she transfered to Trip, in the first place. Obviously the males had somethin gto do with it, but what? She didnt have Sex with Trip or at least not in the traditiona way.

Of course I always wondered how Trip could carry the Embryo. He didn't have a womb. So the embryo couldn't get nutirents, blood or oxygen from him. it would have died right away. Then too, how long was the gestation period. It seemed to be fairly brief. How would Phlox remove the "Baby" would it be large or small given the gestation period. It ws lodged between two ribs. A "C" section would have to be a major operation to remove the kid. So, Trip and Ah"len definately was not a good pairing.

Trip and Fishstick. Well, she was going to be first Monarch so she would head back to Kiros Prime to take that on. Trip would stay on Enterprise. No good pairing there.

Trip/Liane. She ws going back to her home world to meet males of her own species and age. Trip wouldn't be going along and doubt if Archer would have allowed her to stay much less her Father. No pairing there.

Trip/T'Pol BINGO nuff said

Archer/T'Pol TILT game over. No pairing. Besides rcher was too rank happy and if he made Admiral T'Pol would be shoved aside because she was just a Commander.

Archer Hernadez. Well she did have the same Rank as him so he could get his nose out of joint on that point. She was as tough as him. Good match.

Archer anyone else. Nope.

Malcom/Hoshi. next to TnT my favortie pair. So much in common. Both reserved, both inteligent. Both a lttle lonely and in need of someone who woulld be compatible and understanding.

Travis should play the field. He is atractive, smart, personable.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”