Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: What do you do?

Postby Alelou » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:09 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if you accidentally steal some plot point or something, you're going to do it in your own way. And it's not like you can be expected to credit something you're copying subconsciously, assuming you didn't just come up with the same idea on your own.

I used to try to research every episode for other people's missing scenes just to make sure I didn't accidentally duplicate something, but that got old. I just don't bother anymore. Similitude is coming up, and it would probably take me a month to read every Similitude fic out there.

Besides, this is fanfic in the first place. We're all using characters that don't belong to us. 8)

(Having said that, I do find it mildly irritating if an original character I created gets borrowed by someone else and is changed really significantly in the process -- like suddenly he turns into a she. But again, I don't own this universe. So ... whatever.)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:21 pm

Alelou wrote:I wouldn't worry too much about it. Even if you accidentally steal some plot point or something, you're going to do it in your own way. And it's not like you can be expected to credit something you're copying subconsciously, assuming you didn't just come up with the same idea on your own.

Hmm what's weird is when you plan something before you even join the site and suddenly everybody is doing before you write what you planned! That knocks you for a loop.

Alelou wrote:(Having said that, I do find it mildly irritating if an original character I created gets borrowed by someone else and is changed really significantly in the process -- like suddenly he turns into a she. But again, I don't own this universe. So ... whatever.)

I know for a fact that was a missed typo.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:27 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:That gets me going a little, too, but since I came into this whole thing kind of late, I worry sometimes that the "ideas" in my head aren't strictly my own. There so much out there and so much has been done, that I'm afraid to accidentally steal someone elses stuff. :shock:

When I did my finale fix, I just put in the author's notes that I had honestly read hardly any that have already been done, so if the story in any way comes close to duplicating someone else's fic, it was entirely unintentional.

I took several years off from this fandom, so I'm way, way, way, WAY behind. And I don't have a lot of time. So I just apologize for anything that might have already been done before and that I don't mean to copy. LOL When I know for sure that an element of my story was heavily influenced by some one else, I make sure to credit them. I usually don't use someone else's OC though. (But I kinda want to write about Captain Morgan which I believe bluetiger created. He's just so cool!)
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:35 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:That gets me going a little, too, but since I came into this whole thing kind of late, I worry sometimes that the "ideas" in my head aren't strictly my own. There so much out there and so much has been done, that I'm afraid to accidentally steal someone elses stuff. :shock:

It's inevitable that people will use the same ideas in fanfic of any fandom. You should see us KOTOR people. The trick is to have your POV front and center. Period. Alelou used my reasoning for T'Pol's TD addiction in a story, I stole that from my brother, and yet all 3 of us have very different perspectives on it.

My advice, stop worrying and just write what you love. When you blatently rip off something brilliant ;-) , acknowledge the original author and just love what you do.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:48 pm

I get my best one-liners from my brother, no matter how much he may annoy me sometimes. For instance, (it's a long story) but I was complaining about how my cat was judging me and he, naturally, responded that I have deep seated emotional issues. I proceeded to tell him that he did too, to which he answered, "Yes, but I hide mine with lies and conciet," and, well, you had to be there.... I'm still trying to find a story idea I can use it in...

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:56 pm

aadarshinah wrote:I get my best one-liners from my brother, no matter how much he may annoy me sometimes. For instance, (it's a long story) but I was complaining about how my cat was judging me and he, naturally, responded that I have deep seated emotional issues. I proceeded to tell him that he did too, to which he answered, "Yes, but I hide mine with lies and conciet," and, well, you had to be there.... I'm still trying to find a story idea I can use it in...

Perfect for the MU, my friend. :lol:

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Misplaced, thanks for the shout-out about Morgan Tucker. Funny thing is, when I read your comment the first thing I thought was 'she's going to write an MU Morgan, wonder what he will be like?'

Then I started to laugh. I just naturally think of you in the MU :lol:
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:21 pm

bluetiger wrote:Misplaced, thanks for the shout-out about Morgan Tucker. Funny thing is, when I read your comment the first thing I thought was 'she's going to write an MU Morgan, wonder what he will be like?'

Then I started to laugh. I just naturally think of you in the MU :lol:

:guffaw:

I guess it's possible that my ratio of MU vs RU fics is pretty high compared to other writers. Hmmmm... Only two fics in the RU (one being just a baby ficlet) -- not counting my first dalliance (archived over at HoT). And now in the MU... 3 short fics, one epic that is getting a sequel and eventually will be a trilogy (epic-length each part). And then there's another short MU fic stewing in my brain...

Yep. Your first reaction isn't all that surprising considering those facts. :lol:

No, I was thinking of an RU Morgan Tucker, but now that you mention it.... Image

Seriously, he's frackin' cool! All the charisma of his Dad (and looks) but then the awesomeness that comes from being half Vulcan. Do you have an actor that you picture playing him?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:01 am

WarpGirl wrote:
Alelou wrote:(Having said that, I do find it mildly irritating if an original character I created gets borrowed by someone else and is changed really significantly in the process -- like suddenly he turns into a she. But again, I don't own this universe. So ... whatever.)

I know for a fact that was a missed typo.

Oh, that's nice to know! Thank you.

I had a terrible typo in my blackboard notes for two of my classes today. I reminded them about a 500-page essay due Tuesday instead of a 500-word essay. :shock:
Image.Image

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:03 am

You're Welcome.

Fics

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:04 am

Misplaced,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We had a minor family emergency here. :roll:

I have a vivid picture of Morgan in my head, but not necessarily connected to an actor. I googled "dark-haired actors" in search of inspiration.

While Hugh Jackman is not Morgan for me per se, this was the closest picture I could find. I see him with shaggy hair and T'Pol's coloring, Trip's physique and smile. This picture of a young Hugh Jackman was as close as I could come to my mental image.

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:26 am

Funny I pictured him as Shane West with brown eyes.

Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:22 am

Guilty as charged. However, I didn't borrow Ensign Rao on purpose. In fact, I thought it was a reference from the actual show. However, since Rao isn't exactly a rare name, it can easily be assumes that (s)he falls into into the 'Taylor category', meaning there're more than one on the ship. :dunno:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:35 am

Yep. Or even Masaro by the show runners.
Image.Image

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Misplaced » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:51 pm

bluetiger wrote:Misplaced,

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. We had a minor family emergency here. :roll:

I have a vivid picture of Morgan in my head, but not necessarily connected to an actor. I googled "dark-haired actors" in search of inspiration.

While Hugh Jackman is not Morgan for me per se, this was the closest picture I could find. I see him with shaggy hair and T'Pol's coloring, Trip's physique and smile. This picture of a young Hugh Jackman was as close as I could come to my mental image.

Niiiice. I always "cast" any OC's... well, any OC's in other people's fics (other than Rigel Kent's, who cast his OC's already), since I haven't written any into mine thus far. I was wondering if you did the same.

Anyway, Morgan is at the top of the list my favorite OC's that I've read. (Captain Soma rates up there too.)

Back to the topic....

Does anyone ever suffer from writer's block because posting the next chapter to be reviewed is becoming more stressful than it's worth? (As in, you're shoring yourself up for the comments that will surely be forthcoming) I am not trying to stir the pot with this question -- merely wondering if anyone else started fics that were surprisingly controversal and found the muse less and less forthcoming.

I think this is why I prefer to have the entire story already written before I start posting. LOL.... *sigh*

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”