What if the crew had remembered the events of "Twilight"?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Re: What if the crew had remembered the events of "Twilight"?

Postby Misplaced » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:43 am

enterprikayak wrote:lol saw this thread and thought for a minute that TnT were supposed to be watching bad 21st century vampire movies. :vulcan:

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:45 am

I wonder if TPTB now regret the title??????????? Because can't you just imagine a tween googling and freaking out cause they accidently hit ST. :wtf:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Misplaced
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Twitter username: Misplacedmama

Postby Misplaced » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:06 am

WarpGirl wrote:I wonder if TPTB now regret the title??????????? Because can't you just imagine a tween googling and freaking out cause they accidently hit ST. :wtf:

Maybe they would actually check it out and discover a better world. ;)

:lol:
Officially retired from writing Trek fanfiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:10 am

I concur vehemently! That whole trend scares me to death. Adults can decide for themselves but children! :? You know I might have to watch the episode anyway, I miss Robbie McNeill on my TV so darn much, if the only thing I can get is his directorial talents (which are amazing) I shouldn't not observe them... :loveeyes:

HOT Avatar BTW.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Rigil Kent » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 am

This is one of those questions that really don't have a good answer. First and foremost, I must be upfront with my visceral hatred of this episode, although it's rooted more in the fact that it's a crappy Magic!Reset!Button! episode than the general ridiculousness they pulled with T'Pol (wherein, once again, she made every single wrong decision with the subtext being only Super!Archer can save Earth.) From the moment they blew up Earth in the teaser, you knew that big flashing MRB was going to be hit and I hate those episodes. Period. Doesn't matter if its Trek or Stargate or any other show with them.

As to the question, my answer is: nothing good comes of it. For starters, I can totally buy Archer either cracking under the pressure or starting to sniff around T'Pol again (I prefer him cracking, but that's neither here nor there); at the very least, I expect he'd fall deeper into that whole messiah kick, which would make him that much harder to tolerate as a character. Trip would, I think, promptly and seriously distance himself from T'Pol because of how she inexplicably turned into a nursemaid for utterly illogical reasons; he wouldn't be human if he didn't think this implied a possible romantic connection (or at least interest on her part) with the captain, and we've already seen how he constantly lets himself get walked all over by his "friends." T'Pol is probably just even more confused than before. As much as I actually loath the idea and saw more chemistry between Bakula and the beagle (or Blalock and the beagle) than I ever did between Bakula and Blalock, I'm not entirely able to honestly deny the fact that the showrunners were very clearly trying to set up AinT during the latter part of season 1 and into season 2, so there is evidently supposed to be something between Archer and T'Pol (even if, again, I barely saw them as friends and I certainly didn't see him ever earn the level of devotion she gave him), so her confusion, coupled with Trip's sudden distance from her, just makes things even worse than before. And if Trip isn't getting the VNP because he's avoiding T'Pol (and probably the captain too), that means he's not getting any rest, and Very Bad Things are going to happen.

Honestly, I'd actually rather the crew bothered to remember the events of RU events (i.e. "Similitude" which, apart from "Harbinger" was never again mentioned) than MRBs.
WarpGirl wrote:I hate DS9! I refuse to watch DS9 under any and all circumstances. That's hate.

Huh. I'm one of those who would argue that DS9 is hands down the best Trek series period. The show I loath with a passion is VOY. Talk about blech.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:31 am

Rigil Kent wrote:This is one of those questions that really don't have a good answer. First and foremost, I must be upfront with my visceral hatred of this episode, although it's rooted more in the fact that it's a crappy Magic!Reset!Button! episode than the general ridiculousness they pulled with T'Pol (wherein, once again, she made every single wrong decision with the subtext being only Super!Archer can save Earth.) From the moment they blew up Earth in the teaser, you knew that big flashing MRB was going to be hit and I hate those episodes. Period. Doesn't matter if its Trek or Stargate or any other show with them.

As to the question, my answer is: nothing good comes of it. For starters, I can totally buy Archer either cracking under the pressure or starting to sniff around T'Pol again (I prefer him cracking, but that's neither here nor there); at the very least, I expect he'd fall deeper into that whole messiah kick, which would make him that much harder to tolerate as a character. Trip would, I think, promptly and seriously distance himself from T'Pol because of how she inexplicably turned into a nursemaid for utterly illogical reasons; he wouldn't be human if he didn't think this implied a possible romantic connection (or at least interest on her part) with the captain, and we've already seen how he constantly lets himself get walked all over by his "friends." T'Pol is probably just even more confused than before. As much as I actually loath the idea and saw more chemistry between Bakula and the beagle (or Blalock and the beagle) than I ever did between Bakula and Blalock, I'm not entirely able to honestly deny the fact that the showrunners were very clearly trying to set up AinT during the latter part of season 1 and into season 2, so there is evidently supposed to be something between Archer and T'Pol (even if, again, I barely saw them as friends and I certainly didn't see him ever earn the level of devotion she gave him), so her confusion, coupled with Trip's sudden distance from her, just makes things even worse than before. And if Trip isn't getting the VNP because he's avoiding T'Pol (and probably the captain too), that means he's not getting any rest, and Very Bad Things are going to happen.

Honestly, I'd actually rather the crew bothered to remember the events of RU events (i.e. "Similitude" which, apart from "Harbinger" was never again mentioned) than MRBs.

You know Rigil I couldn't have said it better myself.

Rigil Kent wrote:Huh. I'm one of those who would argue that DS9 is hands down the best Trek series period. The show I loath with a passion is VOY. Talk about blech.

And you know what I think that's odd. But it's also great! It does have some major flaws, I know that. (OK so I'm extremely obsessed with Robbie McNeill, and Roxann Dawson) however, I don't mind when people say oh those cruddy holo-episodes. They were awful! But it's my favorite. I just don't understand how it's any different with me and ENT? I do like things about it, otherwise I wouldn't be killing myself trying to write the stories!

Fics

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:03 am

WarpGirl wrote:
And you know what I think that's odd. But it's also great! It does have some major flaws, I know that. (OK so I'm extremely obsessed with Robbie McNeill, and Roxann Dawson) however, I don't mind when people say oh those cruddy holo-episodes. They were awful! But it's my favorite. I just don't understand how it's any different with me and ENT? I do like things about it, otherwise I wouldn't be killing myself trying to write the stories!

Agree totally. Probably it was the show I enjoyed most on a consistent basis while actually watching it on the air. I loved TNG passionately, but only got into it for Season 6 & 7. DS9 I hated for a long time...now it's meh, okay....VOY was just, like, on for seven whole seasons, and I loved almost every minute of it. And when it was bad it was SO BAD and you could just laugh and laugh as Tom's tongue (didn't) fall out. Oh Brannon, you stupid stupid boy.

I *would* have had a higher Total Love Index (TLI) for Enterprise vs Voyager, but they were always making Archer seem like a wife abuser, etc and they were always trying to cancel it, and then they did. Which makes me a sad panda.

|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:20 am

Ek I just gotta! :hug: Actually that's one of my favorite episodes. Usually the really cruddy episodes were saved by Emmy-worthy acting. But then I also think CT was worthy of a few himself, and John Billingsly, and let's not forget Jeffery Combes and the guy who played Soval (sorry Misplaced I never remember his name)... That said VOY ripped my guts out on more than one occasion. Honestly the show started to hit the skids when Jeri Taylor retired. What am I saying? ST started to go down after DC Fontana and Jeri Taylor left. :( Do you think either of them would have killed Trip?

Fics

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 am

WarpGirl wrote:Do you think either of them would have killed Trip?

Now that's a question. I'd like to say no, because anyone in their right mind would know better than to kill off one of the primary charecters for no good reason, but that may be wishful thinking on my part.

Rigil Kent wrote:...I actually loath the idea and saw more chemistry between Bakula and the beagle (or Blalock and the beagle) than I ever did between Bakula and Blalock...

:guffaw: :guffaw: :guffaw:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:12 pm

Come on Porthos ROCKS! He made all of 'em look good. 8)

Fics

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:48 pm

I see its flaws, and I love it anyway. I would never declare I hate anything about it, except for maybe *the_abomination* but that's a special case. Even if I hate a specific episode or aspect, I recognize that some of my fellow fans may see an episode or moment differently. Who am I to sneer at them and make myself superior?

Honeybee, is it really sneering and being superior to express a negative opinion about something? These forums would be pretty dull if everyone agreed on everything, or if people only felt free to post comments about things they like. I think we're all mature enough to recognize that someone else disparaging our favorite episodes is not a personal attack.

That's why I was so gratified to see io9 writing so thoughtfully and, imo, correctly about how good the show was.

Who's io9?

As for anyone on Enterprise remembering the events of 'twilight' after the fact, I think it would have introduced too many potential complications. The Powers That Be were probably wise to make it a total reset. Savor that last sentence; it may well be the first and only time I ever use the word 'wise' and 'Powers That Be' together, at least regarding Star Trek.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:34 pm

Transwarp wrote:Who's io9?

io9 is a website devoted to TV I believe it's a lot of scifi.

Transwarp wrote:Savor that last sentence; it may well be the first and only time I ever use the word 'wise' and 'Powers That Be' together, at least regarding Star Trek.

:guffaw: I hate to sound like the ex but Dude that was Epic! I hope I did that right... :? :oops:

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:39 pm

Transwarp wrote: is it really sneering and being superior to express a negative opinion about something? These forums would be pretty dull if everyone agreed on everything, or if people only felt free to post comments about things they like. I think we're all mature enough to recognize that someone else disparaging our favorite episodes is not a personal attack.

It isn't always *what* people say, so much as *how* they say it, and how often. Speaking for myself, I'm okay with it when people say "I didn't care for that episode" or "that plot device was a turn-off for me" or "I was disappointed in how they developed that relationship." What I *don't* like is when negativity breeds more negativity, or when I read something that seems to be intended to make someone feel stupid for liking something that the poster doesn't. Outside of that, have and express all the negative opinions you want, just don't cross the show-bashing line in the updated rules, and we're all cool. :thumbsup:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:49 pm

Well it can be the same for people when they are made to feel stupid or like a trouble-maker just for disliking something. Even people who don't like episodes, plot developments, or TPTB and the writing staff's choices care about the show, and the main reason we're all here. TnT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Otherwise they would not bother to be here or write at all! So I'd say what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:16 pm

I agree with Rigel it seemed that only Super Archer culd save Earth. Since he could't remember yesterday that was it for Earth.

Only out was the reset button.

I like the idea of Eatth being destroyed and Humanity having to rebuild. But the way it was handled was not very bright. Everyone in one place. Why couldn't T'Pol and Trip lead the humans? Why couldn't they get the humans to disperse to hide while they rebuilt thier numbers. Itwould take decades but it would have offered hope. could make somethingout of that. BSG did.

I believe one probelm with twilight is that too manhy people wre pulling in diferent dirctions. Sussman wanted a love story and TPTB didn't so they compromised and got an episode that was neither fish nor fowl.

Chemistry between Archer and T'Pol. the way the Archer character was written he was Super Archer and the best that T'Pol could ever be was a handmaiden (nurse) to him. Whereas Trip and T'Pol were written as equals and there was room for chemistry.

IMHO
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”