The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Life Span

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:38 pm

I have been wondering abou this for a while. What would be the average male expected life span when Trip is about 32?

What is a generation? I looked it up and the span waas 30 years for a generation. (I always thought 20 years) Whatever, if that is so, when I was born a man's life expectancy was 62. today is it 76. that is 14 years increase in 2 1/2 generations.

I believe that Trip could expect an average life span of 125 years. If he didn't step in front of a truck or a phaser set on Kill he might live another 15 years beyong 125 to about 140. T'Pol being 32 yeqrs older than him would be 172. If a Vulcans aver life expectancy is 200 then she is an old woman.

What if they marry when Trip is 36. He lives to 140. that would mean they were married over 100 years (happily I presume)

does that sound right for the life expectancy for a male when trip is 32?

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Life Span

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:47 pm

OK First of all, way too much math. I am bad at math, but if TnT marry sometime in season 4 than he's 34 not 32. So whoever is good at math do the calculations.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Well, given the sophistication of 22nd Century Medicine, we can assume a human male could live well into his hundreds. Trip is portrayed as being over a hundred in the book The Last Full Measure. Archer is alleged to have lived to see the launch of TOS's Enterprise, which would have put him into 140s, if I'm not mistaken. In fact, Archer is referenced as being alive in the reboot film.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:58 pm

Hmmm... depends what you take as cannon.

If you go with Star Trek - the new movie, that is - and assume the Admiral Archer they're taking about is the same one, that means Archer would be about 147 (as he was 40 in season one, 2151, and that part of the movie takes place in 2258). If you assume that that's the high end of things, that's still like what? 120 for an average lifespan?
If you go with Last Full Measure, it seems to suggest that Trip is like the last left of his generation, or even century, in those parts where he's an old man. Since he meets like 8yr old Kirk at the memorial in it, that would make the year about 2242 (as he was born in 2233 in both realties), making Trip about 112 (as it seems Trip would have to have been born around 2121). But, seeing as how he was given that wonderful make-me-look-Romulan plastic surgery in Good that Men Do and it suggested that said surgery would extend his lifespan, that would suggest that the average lifespan is much younger.
Going up a "generation," McCoy was born in 2227 and was in the first episode of TNG, which was 2364, making him 137. And riddculously old by looks of things. So, unless the wonders of modern medicine petered in the 22nd century, it can be assumed that the average lifespan of the "generation" that came before TOS would be shorter.... But (unless they're stupidly killed off young) senior officers tend to live forever in the trekverse, so anything's possible.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:06 pm

Archer's Vital Stats: Born: 2112,
Upstate New York
Father: Henry Archer
Mother: Sally Archer
Blood type: B-negative

OK Wow that is a contradiction, because in another episode they said he was 45 (I don't remember which one) in 2150? OK... So he was actually 39... Now my math is even more screwed.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:09 pm

I think a lifespan of 120 is possible in Trip's time. Everything beyond that is probably either freak of nature or exagerated (or however that is spelt).

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:27 pm

IDK Kotik the oldest human on record NOW was 126. That's with current medical technology. If 126 is possible now, then in 200 years, maybe anything is possible.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:36 pm

Kotik, we are talking about Average life span. In this day average is 76 but there a lot of well to do people who are living in to thier 90's. So, if triip doesn't have anything fatal happen to him he could live longer than the average life span.

On my mother side they females are long lived. Oldest lived to 93, my mother is 94 and all of her sisters are in thier mid to late 80 and healthy. I have hopes that I will inherit that Gene and live in to my 80's or possibly 90's.

Trip could well live to 140 or 145.

Archer? I thougt he was supposed to be 44 or 45 at the beginning of Enterprise.

SB

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:37 pm

but on average... most humans these days don't live to 126, even though they can. A kid born in the us in 2008 has an expectancy of 78.4yrs. Someone born in 1960 in the us had an expectancy of 69.8 yrs.... A difference of 8.6 over 48 years.... or an average of 0.215 years a year (it's been a linear change, as best I can tell, so normal x/y works). So, based off this info alone, you can guess that a kid born in the US in 2121 (113 years from 2008) would have a life expectancy 24.295 years longer than someone born in 2008, which would be 102.695 years.

So, assuming that medical progress, er, progresses at about the same rate in the future as it has in the past 48 years, I'd give Trip a life expectancy of 102.7 years.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:43 pm

The math! :wtf: Well I'm hoping medical technology starts to move a little faster. Also if they developed Warp Drive and erradicated most of the desease and poverty, I'm thinking that maybe it advances faster in the ST universe.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:54 am

When I was born the expectancy for amale was 62 years and today it is 76 years. that is in 75 years. not sure if that holds though. given medical advances too the life expectancy would grow at a fast rate. Remmeber shakespear had Lear say he felt the full weight of his nine and forty years. He as an old man then.

At the turn of the cnetury from the 1800's to the 1900 the life expectancy of a man wa about 52 in 35 years it grew by 10 years to 62.

I belive that advnaces in medial technology would advance the life expectancy faster. then too that is just an average. trip could live several years beyong the average.

Even today it depends on where one lives. In some areas of the wrold life expectancy is in the 30's. In some Muslim countries where women are worked like donkeys they only have a life expectance of about 28. since they grind out a kid every year from when they are 13 or 14. that takes a hell of a toll. too, in very conservative Muslim countires a woman must use a medicine Doll to show the doctor where it hurts. He cnnot examine her. Her husband is there in the room and doctors cannot see the female without her burka on. Hard to diagnose that way. Surgry is avoided until it is a near death situation.

So, in the Western world we live a lot longer. Even inthis part there is a variaton from country to country.

SB

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:41 am

Hitting 100 is now so common that I noticed they even had a CARD for it in the birthday card rack at Big Lots. That's not the Hallmark store; it's just the big rack of cards at the cheap crap store.

However, there's a lot of concern that the current vast rise in obesity is going to actually start pushing American longevity rates down.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:56 am

Alelou, you are probably right. Lots of guts hanging over trousers and people in strech pants that shouldn't be. Kids are getting a little wobbly too.

Junk food. supposed to eat helathy. I am am at my fighting weight of 165. Hope to stay that way. Course no sugar, Eggs, Starch, which about rules out most eveythng I love.
Lotta Rabbit food though.

SB

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:19 am

T'Pol is a scientist, so I can realistically imagine that she would obscess about it, that Trip lives on the healthiest possible diet. She knows that he will inevitably die before her, but she wants that to happen as late as possible. Trip knows that, too and wants to draw out the inevitable and will most likely follow any dietary plan to the letter.

That's why I don't believe that she'll make Trip a vegetarian. It is relatively hard to get all proteins and whatnot if you rely exclusively on eating weeds.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:37 am

Well I don't think that she'd make him a vegetarian either, but I tried it for a while, and it wasn't that hard. I didn't have any deficiancies. Getting people to cook me vegetarian food when I couldn't cook myself was hard. Vulcans aren't vegetarians because its healthy, Phlox said they can eat and get nutrients in almost any diet in an episode. That said, it probably wouldn't have hurt Trip and Archer to have a few more salads. I know they were trying to milk the contrast with T'Pol but seriously Veggies and salads are yummy!

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”