Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Trip Playing An Instrument

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:50 pm

WarpGirl wrote:
Honeybee wrote:I think a good number of Americans are familiar with New Orleans and Louisiana to at least know of Zydeco.

Well maybe, but what about the international crowd on this board???????????

Never heard of it.

Rigil Kent wrote:Plus, it honestly seems like the only music that continues to exist in the Trek verse is classical - can anyone point me to a single instance (apart from the jazz in "Fusion" which is the sole exception I can think of) when they're listening to human music and it isn't Berlioz or Mozart or Beethoven? I can't think of anything resembling rock, or country, or rap, or ... well, you get the point.

That's because of copyright issues. Most of the contemporary (to us viewers) 20th century music is still copyrighted, and the studio didn't want to shell out the money to have it appear on the shows. Thus, the non-copyrighted classical music.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:
Honeybee wrote:I think a good number of Americans are familiar with New Orleans and Louisiana to at least know of Zydeco.

Well maybe, but what about the international crowd on this board???????????

Never heard of it.

Thank you KTR. ;-)

Personally, I really don't like FLA and I have very good reasons not to like it. There is only so much physical and psychological torture a girl can go through in one state, and then you don't want to go back. But I've been in several parts and it seemed diverse enough. To make me think Trip has a lot of options in the influences of his life, to form his tastes. We do know he spent time in the "south" northern part of FLA, and he spent time in keys... So he could certainly appreciate all of the options.

However, what food he likes, and the type of music he likes are not necessarily contingent on geography. And they really have very little to do with the topic.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:15 pm

Honeybee think the difference i Pie was used to differeniate between Trip and Sim. In the scene in T'Pol's quarters after the Clone admits his feelings he says "I don't know if they are mine or his" Which means that Sim and Trip are now two different entities in the clone. so the Pie was a factor which I belive Coto deliverately put in.

Sactually it is a shame that Sims musical talents was not displalyed. could Sim play the Harmonica? Sim was NOT Trip he had Trip's memories but perhaps that was al.l Not Trips abilities like pllaying the Harmonica.

SB
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:21 am

Rigil Kent wrote:
WarpGirl wrote:Call me nuts (I am) but the man grew up in FLA one of the great melting pot states of the US... Let's add some Latino sounds, calypso, and Bob Marley. Yeah lots of carribian there but it is part of the culture. And come on don't Y'all think Trip can salsa. ;-) And interestingly enough, occasionally you will hear a harmonica.

Yeah ... I grew up in Florida and I'm not a fan of any of those music types you mentioned so I don't know if the argument stands. Plus, it honestly seems like the only music that continues to exist in the Trek verse is classical - can anyone point me to a single instance (apart from the jazz in "Fusion" which is the sole exception I can think of) when they're listening to human music and it isn't Berlioz or Mozart or Beethoven? I can't think of anything resembling rock, or country, or rap, or ... well, you get the point.

As to Trip's tastes being "bland," again, I've got to play Devil's Advocate because, as a native Southerner myself, his tastes pretty much mirror mine (except catfish - I can't stand catfish.)

Classic rock. Cocharane was listening to Steppenwolf and Roy Orbison
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:58 am

Also, there was an early episode of TNG when they unfreeze some 20th Century people and one of them is a country singer. It seems like the crew is at least familiar with the genre.

And, DS9 has the whole Rat Pack lounge holodeck stuff - but they invented a stand in for Dean Martin, since the real Martin's catalog would have been too expensive.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”