Trip Playing An Instrument

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: Trip Playing An Instrument

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:52 am

honeybee wrote:Let's not forget Bob Dylan, either. I can picture Trip listening to Blood on the Tracks!

I see Trip rocking out to Stevie Ray Vaughan-type music. I'm even maybe imagining he played that harmonica with a garage band when he was a kid, a bluesy-Southern rock kind of sound.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:55 am

There's really very little difference in Blues roots and Country roots. And even today if you get some really fantastic talent, not just gloss covered record sellers, you can find some amazing Country/Blues music that blends the two so well that the bounderies don't exist. Case in point, "Little Big Town" play the songs "Looking For A Reason" "Mean Streak" or "Bones" are they country? Are they blues? Are they Southern Rock? The answer is all and none. Point being country isn't necessarily "hick" music either.

Oh Dis do I have something you'll like to read in the near future. And stop putting spicey images in my brain! I gotta sleep, yeah right... :tsktsk: ;-)
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:00 am

Many forms of music influence each other and cross over...but there*are* distinctions. Jazz was one of the forms that gave birth to rock...but they are different enough that the stuff bands like Chicago and Lighthouse were doing in the late 60s and early 70s was being described as "jazz/rock fusion", so at some point they become different enough that they style is more like a blending of the two styles, vs. just dismissively saying you can't categorize it because they styles are related.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:02 am

That too, Aquarius. I'm originally from Texas - and I remember when Stevie died and people were really devastated. Texans are a diverse lot, but we all love two things: Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan, who most people agree was the best guitarist of his generation.

Also, I can see Trip liking very Southern- centric stuff like Drivin' & Cryin, Asleep at the Wheel or Ray Lamotagne. Now, I'm picturing the young Tucker siblings in a more southern, bluesy version of Nickel Creek.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:04 am

I wasn't saying there aren't distinctions.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:58 am

honeybee wrote:That too, Aquarius. I'm originally from Texas - and I remember when Stevie died and people were really devastated. Texans are a diverse lot, but we all love two things: Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughan, who most people agree was the best guitarist of his generation.

Damn straight.

honeybee wrote:Also, I can see Trip liking very Southern- centric stuff like Drivin' & Cryin, Asleep at the Wheel or Ray Lamotagne. Now, I'm picturing the young Tucker siblings in a more southern, bluesy version of Nickel Creek.

LOL. Ray Benson of Asleep at the Wheel usually MCs the (free) Texas Music History Unplugged concerts at Texas State U. Hysterically funny guy and a fantastic performer. Another good one is Raul Malo who has both a bluesy style and a sort of 60's Vegas crooner style. (I'm getting off on a tangent here.) I can picture Trip liking the style of Jim Byrnes too.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:15 am

Call me nuts (I am) but the man grew up in FLA one of the great melting pot states of the US... Let's add some Latino sounds, calypso, and Bob Marley. Yeah lots of carribian there but it is part of the culture. And come on don't Y'all think Trip can salsa. ;-) And interestingly enough, occasionally you will hear a harmonica.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:25 am

Isn't Panama City more the panhandle area? I don't think they'd have as much latin/calypso influences. I mean, as party music, maybe, but their "mainstream" would be more like Alabama/Georgia and the regional influences you find there.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:27 am

I think it's a law that all beach resorts play Bob Marley! They play him in Aruba all the time, even though reggae music never made it as far south as Aruba, and their native music is more Calypso-oriented. Demographics might change in the future, but I don't see a tremendous lot of salsa/latin penetration in the panhandle area - I think its going be more the Southern Rock/Blues/Country thing - which does have a sub-genre of gulf coast beach music. I'm not too familiar, but I heard a few band play.

And we haven't even brought up Zydeco. :duh: I was so sure that the Tucker family would be into that, I had Elaine hire a Zydeco band for TnT's wedding reception in a story.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:31 am

The Latino and Caribbian influences are strong in just about all of the state. Especially in more urban areas. Besides, while he might have had a house in northern FLA they do say he spent his time in the Keys, and you gotta go through the state to get there. I doubt he never went anywhere else in FLA.

I did want to mention Zydeco, but it is such a specific form of music I didn't want people scratching their heads.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:43 am

And I have to drive all through Michigan to get to the Upper Peninsula, but it doesn't make me a fan of Da Yoopers. Conversely, someone from Iron Mountain would have to make that entire drive in reverse to get to Detroit, but that isn't going to make them fans of Kid Rock, the White Stripes, Sponge, Bob Seeger, or Madonna--all noteworthy artists from metro Detroit.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:45 am

Aquarius, do they have Zydeco bands in Detroit?

I think a good number of Americans are familiar with New Orleans and Louisiana to at least know of Zydeco. Like Latin and salsa - it has penetrated into urban areas all over the country, often being brought by musicians who studied in NOLA. I used to go to a Zydeco bar on the Lower East Side. They served the best Shrimp Po-Boys I've had outside the Quarter. Not to mention that many contemporary country artists have put out Zydeco influenced songs.

Although I can guess the Tuckers aren't Cajun, I'll bet they knew some Cajuns - Creoles as well. They are all over the Gulf Coast.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:49 am

I know Buckwheat Zydeco has played shows at the Magic Bag in Ferndale, and the Majestic Theater downtown Detorit. And these venues are frequented mostly by punk and neo-rockabilly crowds. (Saw the Damned at the Majestic--was AWESOME!)

Also a BBQ joint in Royal Oak called Memphis Smoke had a zydeco night for a while.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:50 am

OK just a tad picky... The point was that just because he lives in the panhandle does not necessarily mean he's only exposed to the geographical influences of the region. He's Trip! He likes to get into a little bit of everything that's how he got knocked up barely one month in space! And now as it is 1AM my time, I might consider trying to sleep.

Honeybee wrote:I think a good number of Americans are familiar with New Orleans and Louisiana to at least know of Zydeco.

Well maybe, but what about the international crowd on this board???????????

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:55 am

You'd be surprised. An old friend/ex-boyfriend of mine is a lawyer - and he specializes in representing country/blues/jazz artists in Europe. Last year, he was in Finland with a whole bunch of his clients. I don't know if there was a Zydeco band among them last year, but the guy went to Tulane Law school and its a blues/jazz drummer himself and most of his clients are from New Orleans. Jazz in particular, and by extension, all of New Orleans's culture is huge in Europe. He works mostly in Eastern Europe and Scandinavia for his clients, though.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”