The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Trip Playing An Instrument

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:12 am

In character, or massively OOC?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Trip Playing An Instrument

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:21 am

Pretty obviously in-character since he played a harmonica in "Precious Cargo" that I know of, had something to do with it in "Cogenitor" (been a while since I watched that mess) and traded it in "North Star."
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:24 am

LOL Harmonica doesn't count... But as I haven't slept in a while... (don't ask how long) I'll admit I forgot tonight. So have a good laugh at my expense. I am... So what do Y'all think, is a guitar or a little piano out of the question? :guffaw:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:25 am

Why doesn't a harmonica count? It's a musical instrument.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:31 am

Well it counts like a Triangle or a tamborine counts... Yes a musical instrument, yes it can be important. But it's not an instrument that usually requires dedication like Yo-Yo Ma's chello. Sorry to any tamborine or Triangle players in the universe.

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:34 am

I'm not sure the triangle and cymbol players employed at the New York Philharmonic are too worried. I knew a Cymbal player, and he had a master's degree in percussion from Berklee College of Music. He also played the triangle and the bass drum at the symphony as well - so his training was eclectic, as well as extensive.

As for the harmonica, it's actually pretty difficult to learn to do well - you can't just blow into the thing. A real one, not a kiddie one that is. In fact, knowing how to do it properly indicates musical training. It's very possible Trip could play another wind instrument as well.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:54 am

I'm not knocking the harmonica, the cymbols, the triangle, or the tamborine. I know the harmonica isn't easy, my surrogate grandfather is an expert player and self-taught. I was just thinking of something different that I'm not sure how to express, so until I am sure how to make my point I will shut up.

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:58 am

In that "Foundations" reboot I was working on with CX way back when, we had Trip play the violin and then jokingly comment in a self-deprecating way that he couldn't find a fiddle. The idea we were running with was that his mother made sure all of her kids were "civilized" (her idea of the word) and could play at least one classical instrument - I think we had Lizzie playing the piano, but I can't recall...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:01 am

I think he can play piano and guitar very well, though he doesn't make a big deal out of it. (I have no evidence to back this up, I just like musical guys so I decided Trip must have a lot of musical talent.)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:10 am

I think I read somewhere CT plays guitar... I love musical guys myself but that's not why I brought it up. It's funny Rigil should mention Trip's mother being the catalyst for Trip's musicality (is that a word). In my head she was a concert pianist who teaches music theory and composition at Juliard. (Yeah spelled that wrong) But I just don't think of playing an instrument as making one civilized, Tommy Lee anyone? He puts out cancer sticks on his tuonge! :faint: (yeah spelled that wrong too) But there is evidence Trip likes the piano in Cogenitor Brandyjane.

Fics

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:27 am

Actually, WarpGirl, I think that scene in "Cogenitor" is what gave me the idea Trip plays the piano in the first place.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:29 am

It gave me my ideas for Mama Tucker, the piece he chose isn't one casual listeners of classical piano choose. ;-)

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:51 pm

As long as he's not stereotypically playing the banjo I'm happy...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:53 pm

KTR Dude, seriously the banjo is a perfectly respectable instrument, and since I'm south of the Mason Dixon line I gotta stand up for it. But to make you feel better, I was thinking Trip's brother could play that! :lol: ;-)

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:04 pm

Feh! The harmonica was bad enough. I'm not dissing the South or either instrument. It's just that sometimes they just made Trip too much of a Southern good ole' boy! Probably just to satisfy the prejudices of TPTB and make Trip a "hick". You know, someone who learned warp engines by fiddling around with motor boats. :roll:
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”