Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Re: Trips expressions and use of proverbs

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:14 pm

"That'll fly like a galvanized brick."

"Y'all are peaches." (Friend originally from Louisiana used this one)

"Worse'n sugar in a spun hurricane."

And another British culinary recipe "Toad in the Hole".
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:18 pm

Kotik wrote:I'm probably more familiar with british phrases, like "dumb as a brick", "queer as 37 pound note", "making a monkey's breakfast of it"... etc. But I could see that Trip picks up some of these over the years from Malcolm. :)

I like that last one!! I've never heard of those last two or any of the European ones Panyasan mentioned:

Panyasan wrote:French: crever
German: den Löffel abgeben (give away the spoon)
Italian: crepare
Spanish: estirar la pata ("stretch the leg") or colgar los guayos'' ("hang the football shoes")

In fact, I've heard every one of the southern phrases brought up so far but the first time I ever stumbled across the phrase "it went pear-shaped" in something online I had to go look it up to figure out what it meant. :) I was amused to find it had it's own wikipedia entry.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:03 am

LOL my friend who lives in Canada is betaing for me (she's not a member here) I had to explain to her when Trip used "Get the hell out of Dodge" it never occured to me that, that one isn't famous enough. But for the record... Dodge city is an old cattle down in Missouri it was considered the most Violent city in America in the Olden days. Getting "the hell out of Dodge" means getting out of a dangerous situation.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:57 am

WG, I believe that Dodge was in Kansas
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:58 am

:oops: Sometimes I get the two states Mixed up.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Ulva
Lieutenant
Lieutenant
Show On Map: No

Postby Ulva » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:17 pm

Trip reminds me a lot of a friend of mine originally from Alabama. To someone who isn't from that neighbourhood he at first comes off very much like a southerner, with the drawl, the gentleman and general social outgoing attitude and you actually think you hear things he isn't really saying or at least not as often as you think (like expressions and such). Yes, they're from the south but the accent is more just hinting where they're from, and they use their background to take the edge off, because they're really very intelligent and well educated. It's like a social lubricant, making people think they're nice blokes with their feet on the ground.

When it comes to expressions it's sometimes the case that people who haven't got English as a first language actually are more familiar with them, because you actually study that side of the language. I have no problems with most expressions I come across, British or American, but it's because I have come across them in school and paid a lot of attention to them as part of my language studies after leaving school and living in the UK.
Never let your sense of morals get in the way of doing what's right. - Isaac Asimov

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”