Enterprise Revisited (Discussion)

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

Enterprise Revisited (Discussion)

Postby Kotik » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:08 pm

Hi there :)

Although the prolog has just gone up an hour or so ago, I want to open a thread about the story. Perhaps just a short description of what I try to do here.

I'm trying to extend on what we saw on TV, but more extensively than what can be done by a series of missing scenes. Rather predictably, the next chapter will be "Broken Bow" and I'm already neck-deep in it. Both WarpGirl and aadarshinah both agree with me in noting that I'm stark-raving bonkers to attempt such a thing, but we did know that beforehand, didn't we :-p

Everybody is of course free to slate-review the hell out of me - that's fine - but I'd also like for help from you. While WarpGirl seems to be the resident geek on everything concerning the Vulcans, I'm sure there are other experts out there, who notice the little things and errors, like the fact that events of "Cold Front" actually happen after "Rogue Planet" or that it is established in "Silent Enemy", that Malcolm doesn't like fish, yet he selects the seabrass ration in "Shuttlepod One".
I'd also appreciate, when people could hint at things in the episodes (currently "Broken Bow"), which could need a more elaborate description. If you have things that you would have liked in the screen episode, just propose them in here and I might find a way to make 'em happen.

Thanx y'all
Kotik :mrgreen:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Enterprise Revisited (Discussion)

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:21 pm

Linda is more a Vulcan geek than me. I just try to help. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:55 pm

You are stark raving mad. But in a good, mostly harmless way. I think.

Ideas for "Broken Bow":

1) Why T'Pol was chosen for Enterprise
2) Why she chooses to stay
3) Why she chooses to help them find Klaang rather than send them back to Earth while Jon's knocked out

and one that proves that I'm stark raving mad:

4) I'd love to see some ongoing confrintation between T'Pol and Porthos. Ie, he wants love, she wants to get as far away as possible. Slowly downscale it until "Zero Hour," when Porthos finally manages to break down the last of her barriers. I suppose you could use this to mirror her evolving relationships with various crewmembers if you wanted to get really literary.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:06 pm

aadarshinah wrote:4) I'd love to see some ongoing confrintation between T'Pol and Porthos. Ie, he wants love, she wants to get as far away as possible. Slowly downscale it until "Zero Hour," when Porthos finally manages to break down the last of her barriers. I suppose you could use this to mirror her evolving relationships with various crewmembers if you wanted to get really literary.

There'll be frequent mentions of Porthos, but most likely not in every chapter. :)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:14 pm

Porthos is the most lovable character on ENT! Viva PROTHOS! :happyjump:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Brandyjane
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Brandyjane » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:41 pm

aadarshinah wrote:
and one that proves that I'm stark raving mad:

4) I'd love to see some ongoing confrintation between T'Pol and Porthos. Ie, he wants love, she wants to get as far away as possible. Slowly downscale it until "Zero Hour," when Porthos finally manages to break down the last of her barriers. I suppose you could use this to mirror her evolving relationships with various crewmembers if you wanted to get really literary.

I guess I'm mad, too. I think it would be hilarious if Porthos just adored T'Pol to the point it makes other people jealous.

One thing I've always wanted explored was whether Archer had met T'Pol before. In the scene at Starfleet Medical, someone says, "I think you know everyone" to him, and he says, looking at Klang and Phlox, "Not everyone." I always assumed that meant he'd met T'Pol before, though I suppose she could be included in the "not everyone." It's something I've always wondered about.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:57 pm

Here's something:

Remember the scene where you first see Malcolm and Travis walking down the corridor? (Talking about the transporter being rated for biological transport?). They seemed pretty comfortable in each other's presence, so I always had the impression they'd known each other before Enterprise launched. How did the two know each other?

Ditto the scene in Brazil w/Hoshi and Archer. There's some history between them too that was never expanded on

And I LOVE the Porthos and T'Pol idea. That'd be hilarious!
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:01 pm

@Lady Rainbow.

The interaction between Travis and Malcolm didn't strike me as overly comfortable. Travis is a space boomer and used to making many acquaintances, he sort of made Malcolm talk. But you're right about Hoshi and Archer, there was a history and I've already written something into my chapter.

Since Broken Bow was a feature length episode it'll be LONG. I'm at page 38 currently and I've not even arrived at the Helix :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:13 am

I thought they said Archer did Hoshi's training in the second or third episode?????? :? I seem to remember something like that.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:49 am

Doesn't ring a bell for me.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:57 am

Well, Archer and Hoshi must have known each other beforhand. When he arrives in Brazil, she immediately recognizes him. She hints that she's on leave from Starfleet, so she has gone through all the neccessary training, during which she probably crossed Archers path - maybe during the poker-game incident, where she broke her CO's arm.

When Archer tries to convince her to take the job aboard Enterprise, she says that Archer knows that there's no one else, who could do it. That means Archer knows quite a bit about Hoshi's talents and that means they knew each other beforehand.

He must have some knowledge about his senior officers, since Adm. Williams reminded him that 'your com officer's in Brasil' and 'you haven't selected a medical officer, yet', which means Archer got to select them himself. Which just adds a new question to the stack - whom had he in mind for Science Officer, before he took delivery of a pointy-eared female to do the job?

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:04 pm

I agree they clearly imply in Broken Bow that the two were well-aquainted before the mission. I just don't recall us ever getting any details on it. The most I remember us ever hearing about Hoshi's time at Starfleet is that bizarre story about her running a poker game, and some trouble with claustrophobia in the EV suits that she had to knuckle through.

There's also a nice little deleted scene with the two of them in that episode where people are staying or going before the trip to the Expanse. But it doesn't shed any light on their previous relationship either. You just get the sense that Hoshi means more to Archer than he generally lets on.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:14 pm

Kotik wrote:Well, Archer and Hoshi must have known each other beforhand. When he arrives in Brazil, she immediately recognizes him. She hints that she's on leave from Starfleet, so she has gone through all the neccessary training, during which she probably crossed Archers path - maybe during the poker-game incident, where she broke her CO's arm.

When Archer tries to convince her to take the job aboard Enterprise, she says that Archer knows that there's no one else, who could do it. That means Archer knows quite a bit about Hoshi's talents and that means they knew each other beforehand.

Pretty much all this means is he could have shown up, trying to offer her the job, before. Someone comes and offers me a job like that, I imagine I'd remember what they look like too. And I expect the person doing the offering out of the blue like that would have read up on my file too.

But hey, your novelization. An Archer/Hoshi subplot could be interesting, if it's not too overwhelming or OC.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:11 pm

aadarshinah wrote:But hey, your novelization. An Archer/Hoshi subplot could be interesting, if it's not too overwhelming or OC.

An Archer/Sato subplot wouldn't make sense. There's no real hint of that on-screen. When Hoshi got her conduct discharge from Starfleet. Archer must have been an officer already, so it's rather likely that they knew each other on professional grounds before Enterprise

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:17 pm

I was thinking more Archer/Hoshi mentorship thing, but whatever. There were signs of that, I think, in the earliest episodes, but it kinda faded away after a while.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”