The Quickie Thread

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kotik

The Quickie Thread

Postby Kotik » Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:10 pm

Now before someone gets the wrong idea :lol: ...

Since I'm on a roll with my all-word-prompt story "Words" - starting chapter 9 tonight - I recently revisited all the wrod-prompt threads and it's amazing how many little gems are hidden in those - evcake's Neighbor series comes to mind.

So what would y'all think if we had a permanent thread for such small contributions - a little random scene, a limerick, a poem, whatever - where someone just drops it in, when getting smaked upside his/her head by creativity?

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: The Quickie Thread

Postby justTripn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:15 pm

Sure, we used to have something almost like that. It was called "working on a scene" or something, but it got used to post quickie stories.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:53 pm

Are any and all types of snippets allowed or like the prompt only TnT? Sometimes I get little itches that have nothing to do with TnT and they have nowhere to go at all. :(
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:52 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Are any and all types of snippets allowed or like the prompt only TnT? Sometimes I get little itches that have nothing to do with TnT and they have nowhere to go at all. :(

I was more thinking along the lines of just dropping in a little snippet. You know, the type that wouldn't be long enough to go through the convoluted submission process. I remember a 5-line scene in one of the word promopt threads. It made a terrific scene, really. And I think it could as well be a Mal/Hoshi piece or anything.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:47 pm

We used to have something similar to this called "The Drabble Thread" at a Han'Leia community I belonged to, but the rules were a little more specific, in that a "drabble" was defined as precisely 100 words--no more, no less. (To give you an idea of just how short that is, my "Burn" goes over the limit by two words.)

Sounds like fun!
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Postby justTripn » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 pm

In our old thread like this, people posted anything, including poems and essays written for classes. Please don't use the quickie thread to repost an Archer/T'Pol story from fanfiction.net. Don't post anything long. Keep it G or PG, but otherwise, I would say anything goes. You can probably guess what type of writing people here would be interested in reading, so just use your good judgement.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:19 am

Or maybe just a short thing for niggling ideas - prompts for someone like Kotik to use for their own stuff?

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:37 pm

I have had an idea for a micro-fic series. Too small to go to all the trouble of posting, at least for now.

Ethics
Episode 1
Setting: Right before Borderlands. Awwwwkward.

Trip eased into a seat nearest the drink dispenser after filling his cup nearly to the brim with chocolate milk. It was after midnight and nobody was left in the Mess Hall save a few service crewmen cleaning the equipment and preparing for the Delta shift's breakfast period in a few hours. A slice of key lime pie, a half dozen precariously-perched Oreos and a thick chocolate chip cookie were all that stood between Commander Tucker a solid night's sleep. He lifted an Oreo to his lips and crunched on it with a cathartic sigh. Then a flickering tickle picked up behind his right eye and had he not known better he might have thought something was irritating his vision. Of course he did, and a few seconds later the latent telepathic premonition cued the science officer's entry into the Mess. Though his back was to the door, the whirring slide of the door and the absence of the sound of it closing told him that T'Pol had been as surprised, perhaps even unpleasantly, as he. Trip sighed and carefully laid a half-eaten Oreo back on his plate, considering his next move.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:40 pm

I LOVE IT! Good going Boss, high-five. All that sugar would keep me awake for days, but it does put some people to sleep. Poor Trip, even his sugar coma can't be achieved peacefully... :(
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:01 am

Had an idea for another short one from the "space hicks" universe :) When I talk football, I refer to the European variant.

“Mother, was my performance satisfactory?”
“You scored three goals. Of course your performance was most agreeable.”
“Why did the opposing players celebrate, despite their defeat?”
“I do not know, T’Mir. It appeared most illogical.”
“Where’s Kov?” Malcolm prattled and shot a warped look into his glass.
“Still in the doghouse,” Trip recalled and held his glass to Shran for a refill.
“He forgot their anniversary again,” Archer added with a giggle.
“They’ve been married for 3 years and he forgot their anniversary twice,” Malcolm said with a chuckle.
“How’d T’Mir’s game go?” Archer asked and shot back his ale.
“Pretty good, didn’t increase the body count for the first time and hammered 3 goals in.”
“Body count?” Phlox asked.
“Yeah, her superior strength get’n in the way again. Last week she shot a penalty, hammered it right at the goalie. Poor guy ended up in the net, together with the ball.”
“Today’s the first time all eleven players left the pitch conscious,” Trip added with a chuckle. “Still have to find a sport where she doesn’t wreak havoc.”
“How about track and field?” Malcolm proposed and got his refill from Shran.
“Tried that, didn’t go well. She almost impaled a long jumper, when she tried javelin and almost broke a leg, when she sailed right past the sand-pit trying the long jump.”
“Good thing they didn’t try hammer throwing,” Archer added.
“Yeah, basketball’s out of the question too. She jumps higher than anyone and usually the net’s needin’ to be remounted after her second slam-dunk. She completely wrecked the place.”
“Better make sure that your Henry doesn’t cross her,” Malcolm giggled.
“Trust me, when he’s at our place, he’s very well behaved,” Trip and Archer laughed. "I'm more worried about kids trying to cross Henry. They're only 10, but she doesn't let anyone near him, especially the female variety."
The guard saw the approaching missile in the last moment. He barely managed to key the entrance open, before the blond bullet shot past him into the Embassy.
"Uncle Soval, I score three times today," she reported with a grin, when Soval hoisted her up into his arms.
"That are agreeable news, child. How many opponents did you...damage?"
"None, uncle Soval."
"I am gratified to hear that."
"We have a game next week - against a selection from the Embassy. Will you come watch it?"
"Of course, child."
"Healer Keslak, report to my office," he com'ed after the little girl had gone home.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:11 pm

LOL as a girl that has a "football" star in the family, I gotta say going to games is a treat. This is very cute. But is a 10 year old Vulcan the Bionic Woman? I'm not sure. I know Vulcans are much stronger than humans, even Half-human Vulcans, but most kids know how to control their strength by 10. :dunno: Anyway it made me smile. :D

Fics

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:23 pm

WarpGirl wrote:LOL as a girl that has a "football" star in the family, I gotta say going to games is a treat. This is very cute. But is a 10 year old Vulcan the Bionic Woman? I'm not sure. I know Vulcans are much stronger than humans, even Half-human Vulcans, but most kids know how to control their strength by 10. :dunno: Anyway it made me smile. :D

These little things are not meant to be realistic, dear :lol:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:27 pm

:-P hence the reference to the Bionic Woman! 8)

Fics

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 pm

Kotik wrote:"We have a game next week - against a selection from the Embassy. Will you come watch it?"
"Of course, child."
"Healer Keslak, report to my office," he com'ed after the little girl had gone home.

:guffaw: :guffaw:

What about performance in Water-polo (uncle Jon will appreciate)? Vulcans are not so acquainted to acquatic sports...

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:28 pm

Ethics
Episode 2
Setting: Right before Borderlands. Awwwwkward.

"Commander," she acknowledged, sliding into the chair across the wide, round table. Exhaustion had drowned the subtlety out of his eyes, which were red and bloodshot from lack of rest. He stared into the far wall as he took a drought of chocolate milk, debating his response. Part of him wanted to be just plain nasty.

"Commander," he sighed reservedly, picking up an Oreo.

"That is not a very nutritious meal," T'Pol noted as she sipped her tea, her eyes never leaving the edge of the cup. Before her, a cool, brothy bowl of Plomeek swirled beside two sticks of bread.

"Nope."

An interminable silence followed.

"So what brings you down here to the Mess so late, Commander?" Trip asked, closing his eyes as he crunched on a corner of the chocolate chip cookie. T'Pol's gaze flitted over the edge of her cup at home, met the intense blue stormy eyes peering out from underneath his furrowed brow and she tipped her head slightly.

"Commander when was the last time you slept?"

Trip cocked his jaw with a sideways smirk and tongued the inside of his cheek. "You're a married woman, T'Pol," he said with mock appall. "Where, or, when, or how I sleep... Not really any a your business is it?" He said before standing abruptly.

"Evening, Commander," he met her eyes meaningfully as he started for the trash dispenser.

T'Pol turned in her chair. "Coman-Trip, wait!"
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”