Would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery?

Postby bluetiger » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:29 pm

I am not speaking of breast enhancement or butt implants, but would a Vulcan have a facial scar removed? I can't decide if they would view it as unnecessary or if the fact that it drew people's attention to them would be a motivation. What do you think?
Last edited by bluetiger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery?

Postby honeybee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:32 pm

I think a Vulcan would have anything considered an imperfection/abnormality fixed. Assuming they have the tech to fix scars or anything considered a deformity, that would be logical.

It seems as though, however, they are a culture that respects age - so they probably wouldn't have something like a face lift. They seem to wear their grey hair and wrinkles proudly.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:40 pm

I realize this is a dumb topic but the more I argued it with myself the more confused I became. If it were not a vanity issue, which they claim not to have, then why do it. Or is the desire to blend in stronger?
I think you are right about the facelift honeybee. They do tend toward growing old gracefully.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:48 pm

I think if something was wrong, they would not consider it vain but practical and appropriate.

Of course, even though they claim not to be vain, they claim a lot of things.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:03 pm

honeybee wrote:It seems as though, however, they are a culture that respects age - so they probably wouldn't have something like a face lift. They seem to wear their grey hair and wrinkles proudly.

Another great idea for a chappie. No wonder I wrote 3 chapters in as many days. :lol: You just keep talking,please folks :mrgreen:

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:16 pm

It's just that I left Trip's youngest daughter, T'San, with a knife wound from eyebrow to chin and can't decide if she would have the scar removed, or if it would bother her husband.
Last edited by bluetiger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:18 pm

Some scars are so severe they interfere with function. I think that if a Vulcan was in a profession where they interacted with others for whom a non-standard appearance would be a distraction, then they would get it fixed. If it didn't interfere with their function in some manner I don't see them bothering. For example, a caretaker of small children might have a severe facial scar repaired because it might frighten the children or distract them from their studies. An official or newsperson who makes frequent public announcements might do the same so that his/her appearance would remain "agreeable" to viewers, whereas someone who works in a more isolated capacity might not feel the need.

I agree that facelifts, tummy tucks, liposuction and such would be considered illogical by the average Vulcan, but just as with humans there could be Vulcans who find minor irregularities in commonly accepted standards of aesthetics to be distracting and disturbing to them. I'm sure Vulcans are not immune to OCD. Indeed, some OCD characteristics would be necessary to live in such a rigid society. Many humans with OCD become fixated on a certain body part and insist on having it "fixed". Of course, such people are rarely satisfied with the results.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:24 pm

I think that T'Pol would urge Trip to have cosmetic surgery if his face was badly scared. that might bother Trip and T'Pol would want him to feel better about himself. She probably would consider it for herself if she was scared to please Trip. But other than that I believe T'Pol or a vulcan could live with a disfigurement.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks Dis, that's sort of what I was thinking. A designer of Warp engines would not be such a public figure and maybe not see the need.

SB, you got in ahead of me :lol: . So do you think T'Pol would want MU Trip to have his face fixed?
Last edited by bluetiger on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:30 pm

" Vulcans appreciate beauty." It appears that an unnatural scar, or other severe tissue damage resulting from wounds of accidents, would be appropriately corrected using cosmetic surgery. As for the face lifting, I don't expect from them. On her first apparition, T'Pau certainly showed the old age on her face.

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Holy cow, it would help if I could spell scar :banghead:

Enerdhil, there is always that to consider, that Vulcans appreciate beauty.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:47 pm

Blue tiger. think that Trips Scars would be attractive to T'Pol. They would make him look more formidable which t'Pol might like.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:38 pm

In my MU story, T'Pol liked Trip's scars. I had this whole thing going where human women didn't like the scars, but alien women didn't mind them. T'Pol even found Trip's white space appearance, sans scars, disconcerting. And she did not want the scars fixed, for fear he would be tempted to return to human women. It was the MU - so I could play up anxiety and dysfunction.

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:46 pm

honeybee, I did wonder if Lizzie would get the finest surgeons the Empire has to fix her brother's face.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:51 pm

Oooooh. Interesting idea for the sequel, BT.

I did make sure to include the fact that the Andorian spa waters were good for the cleansing of delta radiation - so that it would feel a little more comfortable when they decided to have kids.

Certainly, whether to get any kind of surgery depends on the risks involved. In the future, we can assume some surgeries which would be risky and painful in our time would be quick, easy treatments in the future.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”