Would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery?

Postby honeybee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:38 pm

I think the scars could be used to intimidate in a rough world as Aquarius says, but I do agree with you Alelou. In my MU story, not only did the scars continue to be painful but they kept Trip from being able to get involved with any human women. Remember, I had that whole thing going on with humans not supposed to be screwing aliens (as an analogy to how miscegenation was viewed until very recently and is still viewed in some quarters). But Trip being damaged goods allowed him to get involved with alien women, including T'Pol.

But, on the other hand, the I'm a freak, I'm damaged and I don't give a damn thing could work in his favor at times. There's a sense in the story that if Archer got involved with T'Pol, it would have to be a secret. Trip, as freak outsider, doesn't need to keep the secret - though he does for her sake, not his.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:58 pm

Alelou wrote:maudits?

Damned, doomed, cursed. As a noun and plural.
French: Les Maudits.
Italian: I Maledetti, I Dannati.
People who know what's the dark doom they have.
And they grin at it, and laugh gloomily of it.
Not infrequently they are fascinating, even if their bodies, not only their words and their deeds, can sometimes tangibly show their destiny.
MU Trip.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:16 pm

Ah. Interesting. Quite a contrast from sunny RU Trip.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:15 pm

Yes. But there is a hope for such guys (you know, they are ALWAYS guys) :lol: : the salvation of love. Mh... maybe MU T'Pol...
What do you think? Is there material enough to write an interesting MU story? ;-)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Asso wrote:Yes. But there is a hope for such guys (you know, they are ALWAYS guys) :lol: : the salvation of love. Mh... maybe MU T'Pol...
What do you think? Is there material enough to write an interesting MU story? ;-)

MU never did it for me. In fact, I think that IMD was a waste of two perfectly good episodes. They would have been better spent on showing at least 2 episodes of TnT fluff, before they got whacked upside the head by fate again in Demons/Terra Prime.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Asso wrote:Yes. But there is a hope for such guys (you know, they are ALWAYS guys) :lol: : the salvation of love. Mh... maybe MU T'Pol...

Well, we know there's some sunshine locked in there somewhere.

As I was watching "True Blood" last night and feeling icky, I was thinking that it's odd how I don't mind reading some things that I find pretty gross to watch. (That show is really pushing my limits, but that's nothing new.) The MU universe definitely falls into that category, too. (Which is to say I totally agree with you, Kotik, but I do enjoy some MU fanfic out there.)

But really ... could someone in the MU universe ever really have a happy ending? And if they do, is it still MU? What constitutes a happy ending in the MU?
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:38 pm

Kotik wrote:

MU never did it for me. In fact, I think that IMD was a waste of two perfectly good episodes. They would have been better spent on showing at least 2 episodes of TnT fluff, before they got whacked upside the head by fate again in Demons/Terra Prime.

True. But that doesn't mean that from the bad can't be born the good.
You know: beautiful flowers can be born from dung.
And this one is my reply also to you, Alelou. :D

And about the MU Happy Ending.. Well, I have my ideas about that. It's possible and I began to write the MU story which would show what I mean.
But it was stopped, here, and - honestly - I am not at all in agreement with the reasons behind this decision.
And, to be fully frank, this annoys and hurts me to such an extent that...
Mh... better I don't go deeper in such matter.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:18 pm

When things don't go up here for whatever reason, there's always the Warp 5 Complex, especially for racy stuff, and fanfic.net as well (though technically they won't accept explicit stuff).

And nobody minds if you announce it and put a link here.
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:40 pm

You are right, even if Warp 5 Complex is absolutely far from whatever I think a fanfiction site should be.
But the problem is not this one. It's a matter of principle, connected with the love I feel for this site and with the obvious fact that changes (if they are not bad, and I am persuaded that this is not the problem of my story) are the life's lymph.
Anyway this is not the right place to debate such things.

My apologies.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:25 pm

Alelou wrote:But really ... could someone in the MU universe ever really have a happy ending? And if they do, is it still MU? What constitutes a happy ending in the MU?

As the Nietzschians in Andromeda said, I think a MU "happy" ending would be “The usual; hundreds of grandchildren, total dominion of the known worlds, and the satisfaction of knowing that all my enemies have died in unfortunate accidents that cannot be traced to me." :D

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:08 pm

Yeah, that would probably fit. You know you've succeeded in the MU if you have ultimate power and no one has killed you yet...
Image.Image

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:24 am

Well, when I wrote my MU story - there were shades of kind of the hill, the most powerful person wins concept in my ending. Of course, those shades came directly from the episode itself. After all, Hoshi is the one who "wins" in the end, doesn't she? In a Sword of Damocles sort of way.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:13 pm

I appologize for taking this back to the origional question my I-net hasn't been stable so I missed the oppertunity to get in quick. I've said it before, and I'll say it until I'm blue, Vulcans are individuals. While 99.9% of them base their lives on the teachings of Surak, none of those teaching negate the free will of each individual. Neither do they cover what to do for every single situation a person is going to face in a lifetime. So I'd say T'San can make a choice.

Now personally I can't think of a single logical reason for a Vulcan to refuse having any injury completely healed including scars if the treatment is possible. As a matter of fact, considering the medical tech in ST I don't think it would be considered cosmetic surgery at all. All Trek characters should be absolutely covered in them considering what they've all been subjected too. And only in extreme cases have they ever been scared.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm

We get it. Vulcans are individuals. And I'll say THIS until *I'm* blue: individuals make up a *society*, and societies In general share many beliefs and values. Yes, individuals fall along a continuum and don't come from a cookie cutter. But the question isn't about individuals and exceptions. It's about Vulcans in general and what their society does/believes.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:41 pm

Well where does it say that Vulcan mainstream beliefs have any bearing on personal appearance????????? Can anyone tell me that???????????????
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”