Would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery?

Postby Alelou » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:18 pm

I would imagine that in the future in either culture, if correcting such scars is both easy, safe, and affordable, it would be more commonplace than it is for us today, when the cost of elective surgery stops some people, and the risks might stop others.

However, I would also think that just as with all things individual mileage might vary. Sometimes people get attached to their own scars. We buy into our own tropes. How many heroes/heroines of action movies/novels have that characteristic scar that helps defines them?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:58 pm

bluetiger wrote:Thanks Dis, that's sort of what I was thinking. A designer of Warp engines would not be such a public figure and maybe not see the need.

SB, you got in ahead of me :lol: . So do you think T'Pol would want MU Trip to have his face fixed?

I think she would encourage him to have it fixed if it bothered *him*. Truth be told, I think she'd be concerned about the functionality of his eye than anything. Aesthetically, I don't think the scars bother her. She would love him the way he is.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:41 pm

The way Honeybee wrote her MU story T'Pol seemed to be happy with Trip's face as it was. She didn't seem to think it made him any less attractive to her and possibly unattractive to other, humman, females a plus for her.

Trip did not seem to care one way or the other.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:14 am

It is true that in my story T'Pol has an affinity for Trip's scars and finds the white space version of Trip, without them, disconcerting. However, there are a few passages (especially the pon farr flashback) that indicate that he is self-conscious about them. It definitely says that human women started rejecting him after his accident, and that fact allows him to get involved with alien women when it is looked down upon.

I imagined the MU as a place where they wouldn't bother researching how to fix scars like that because it's just an occupational hazard and/or the medical treatment would be too expensive for Starfleet to bother with. I also wrote that the old wounds were painful at times, too.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:34 am

honeybee, I agree that Starfleet would not bother with Trip. However the rich and powerful are always catered too, so I would imagine that there are plastic surgeons for that class. That's why I thought that the new Empress would have access to their skills.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:48 am

Absolutely, BT. A grunt starfleet engineering would not have the same access to care as a member of the Imperial Family. So, you've given me a great idea of the sequel.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:06 am

I think medical care on a starship is more about stitching you back together and getting you well enough for duty ASAP than anything else. Anything aesthetic? Forget about it. Plus, as...aggressive as their society is, I think they probably value their "war wounds" more than we would.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:51 am

Maybe, but I honestly prefer a Trip who is affected by a disfigurement that extensive. It's hard to believe anyone wouldn't be, even if they don't betray that to the world around them. When something changes the way strangers react to you, you can't help but become conscious of it.
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:16 pm

I'm not saying MU Trip wouldn't be affected by it, but there is a certain amount of "don't mess with me" badassery that comes with scars like that, which is also advantageous in a world as brutal as theirs.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Alelou, years ago, in Germany, there wre student "Dueling societies" One of the objects of these was to gain Diueling scars on the face. The males were very proud of thier scars. It showed, to them, manhood, acceptance and respect. The scars were on thier faces for life and were admired by the males of German society of that age.

When the males "dueled" they wore goggles and the swords were held over thier heads so all that was hit would be the face. Doubt if those societies have been around for quit some time but were the vogue once. Of course, in the Prussian and German Army at that time one hd to be tough and a good scar stood out.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:07 pm

Well would a Vulcan have cosmetic surgery, well... It depends on the Vulcan doesn't it? I mean what is their life like? What is the level of their control? All "logic" is not created equal. If a scar brought back memories and emotions of a trauma then it would be reasonable to get rid of it. But quite honestly given the state of the universe in the RU and the medical tech available I don't think there would be any thought to completely healing an injury. If such a thing was impossible well then a person is stuck with the scars.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:20 pm

To me, a scar on a Vulcan, would actually mean that it is not removeable by cosmetic surgery. If a scar can be removed by whatever acceptable medical means, including corrective cosmetical surgery, it would be done without the question even presenting itself. It would be illogical, to leave a disfigurement due to an injury. It would be a logical part of the treatment of the wound that caused the problem.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Personally I think slice kind of scars -- which are sometimes inflicted intentionally in other cultures too, as a kind of decoration -- are less of a big deal than large burn scars. Serious burn scars actually reduce the function of your skin. It won't stretch as well, or protect you from infection as well, it can be painful to attempt any movement (assuming your nerves didn't get burned away too), and it's usually a hell of a lot less appealing to look at. I could see where the bad-ass part of it might come in, but Tucker always gave me the impression of being disgusted at the low social status and low expected lifespan associated with work in Engineering, and this scar would have been an emblem of all that.
Image.Image

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:35 pm

It is the dark pride of the "maudits."
Grin and snarl at your fate.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:37 pm

maudits?
Image.Image

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”