T'Pol being chosen for duty on Enterprise

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

T'Pol being chosen for duty on Enterprise

Postby honeybee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:24 pm

Panyasan said something interesting over in the marriage thread - which I think belongs in a new thread:

This whole discussion raised a question by me. If T'Pol is considered less emotional mature/adult in the eyes of her fellow Vulcans, why was she selected for the important task of being first officer on a Human ship? Did they saw it as opportunity to use the "more emotional" T'Pol, because she would be able to interact more with the emotional Human crew? Or did only her mother saw her that way, disappointed that her upbringing of bringing control over emotions seemed to have failed (and she would know T'Pol more privately and able to judge how much she was in control as opposite to Vulcan strangers).

In the novelization of Broken Bow as well as the original script (I don't know if it was filmed) Trip and Archer have a conversation about why T'Pol is assigned to Enterprise. Trip still thinks she's a spy at this point, but Archer somehow has reason to believe that the Vulcans are using her as a guinea pig to see if a Vulcan can handle being on starship and constantly exposed to human emotions. It's clear from their conversation that they don't believe she's aware of this motive and they end up sympathizing with her. Archer seems to recognize this is a crappy thing to do to her.

The scene was cut, but I remember liking it because Archer actually does show some compassion for her, and it seems clearer than in the rest of the script that Vulcan behavior rather than Vulcans themselves are what irritates him.

So, perhaps the fact that T'Pol was emotional for a Vulcan to begin with prompted her career choices, her isolation and perhaps even the Vulcans being willing to use her for difficult assignments such as in The Seventh and later being assigned to Enterprise.

When I get home, I'll see if I can dig out the novelization (which was pretty crappy, mind you) and find the text.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: T'Pol being chosen for duty on Enterprise

Postby Transwarp » Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:58 pm

Maybe they picked her for science officer because she had better science credentials than anybody else at the embassy.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Transwarp wrote:Maybe they picked her for science officer because she had better science credentials than anybody else at the embassy.

That's the idea I'm going with on why T'Pol ended up being the one to go - it was, after all, very last minute her assigment, so there couldn't have been too much thought put into it before hand. Now, as for their reasoning of wanting a Vulcan aboard in the first place, that I can see the whole "see if Vulcans and humans can work along" thing suggested in the Broken Bow novelization...

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:56 pm

I don't believe the Vulcans had T'Pol sceduled for anything but being on board the Enterprise for a few days. At least that is what I got from when she reported to Archer and Trip was in the room. She said she was not there to Spy on them.

At the end of Broken Bow Archer asked her to stay on the Enterprise as Science Officer and she says she will get permission from her Superiors. I guess she did get permission.

At no time was it mentioned that the Vulcans intended to try getting her assigned as First Officer or of Archer offering her that position in Broken Bow.

I thought thee was oe scene where Archer said to T'Pol "I ought to knock you on your Ass." May be mistaken it has been a while since I viewed the two parter.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:04 pm

I believe it was, "You have no idea how much I'm restraining myself from knocking you on your ass right now." Or something like that. That was when she was just some Vulcan in robes, before she got assigned to Enterprise.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Nice talk fellah. Just the way to win your way in to the Vulcans esteem.

wish she would have said "I can knock you in to nwext week if I want."

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Well, most certainly, TPTB cut the lines for a reason and they are not canon - so you are all perfectly - perfectly correct in your assessment of what was onscreen. It certainly contradicts the idea that T'Pol was chosen at the last minute - although it is possible that even a few days for someone who was considered emotional like T'Pol would be considered ill-advised or dangerous for her.

But the reason I brought up the cut lines was that panyasan had a question - and I think the deleted lines indicate that even at the beginning - the idea that T'Pol would have trouble being exposed to human emotions/and that there might be more to why she was allowed to stay - existed in the minds of TPTB. So, panyasan's speculation isn't totally off base.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:49 pm

In Shore Leave I made my personal interpretation about this matter.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:51 pm

I've had a theory for a long time. T'Pol was chosen for her looks. Even for Vulcan standards, she's one good looking woman and by her own admission Vulcans appreciate beauty. How come that the Vulcans selected a (relatively) inexperienced female?

Then come the catsuits. How come she's suddenly wearing a catsuit that leaves nothing to the imagination?`I don't buy the 'keeps her warm' malarkey. Certainly Ambassador V'Lar wasn't freezing in her robe, nor was Captain Vanik in his standard uniform. So why the somehwhat... attention drawing attire.

My theory says that T'Pol and her attire were selected with the express intend to use the human male's alleged shallowness. She was supposed to influence them in the interest of the VHC. They underestimated the human's discipline though.

A wild theory, I admit, but it would make sense to a degree.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:59 pm

I could never see the Catsuits either. If she needed to stay warm she could wear Thermal Long Johns. The Uniforms that were worn in the beginning of Carbon Creek seemed to be the kind T'Pol should have been wearing on the Enterprise.

Obvioously TPTB wanted a Sex Kitten so they poured Jolene in to those Cat Suits.

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:48 pm

honeybee wrote:
This whole discussion raised a question by me. If T'Pol is considered less emotional mature/adult in the eyes of her fellow Vulcans, why was she selected for the important task of being first officer on a Human ship?

Coming back to the original subject, is that true or fair to her? That is, she has finished her 'training' long ago (19 years ago as per The Seventh). With 65 yrs old, she is about 1/3 of a standard Vulcan life spam (about 30 for Humans, quite a reasonable age to be considered mature on professional terms). So, I think she is perfectly mature and qualified for a mission like joining Enterprise. I don't feel her Vulcan soulmates to think of her as an immature person. The question of the killing of one person and having emotional disturbs after (with a Fulara to contain) is the only "shadow" on her past, but it is difficult to believe it would happen only on her (there were, as I remember, some bilions of Vulcans).

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:59 pm

Since the NX-01 launched prematurely the Vulcans assigned the best person available at the time, and it happened to be T'Pol, who was working at the Vulcan consulate back then. She had been both a science officer and had a background in Vulcan intelligence.

Had the Enterprise launched as scheduled I gather the Vulcans would have assigned someone else to oversee it. They probably already had someone in training back on Vulcan.

I don't think they ever considered this arrangement as a test of how long a Vulcan would last on a human ship. T'Pol's assignment was probably not even intended to be permanent, but she surprised everyone, probably even herself.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:26 pm

Why was T’Pol chosen as the liaison to Enterprise in Broken Bow?

Well, as a member of Vulcan’s Embassy staff, particularly Ambassador Soval’s trusted protégé, it could be that she was considered well-qualified for the job. She is probably the Science attaché at the embassy, meaning she has position and authority in her own right aside from Soval. She would have the experience to guide Captain Archer and the crew should they encountered another species in space (also with the Klingons) and avoid a nasty first contact. That was one of the premises for first contact protocols, according to Picard.

Secondly, she has an outstanding general science background, certainly better than anybody on Enterprise, maybe equivalent to Trip in warp theory. All this is within the context of the story.

As for why Jolene Blalock was chosen, you will have to ask the TPTB re: how well she may fit into a catsuit.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:30 pm

I have Broken Bow recorded on my DVR. Am going to view it again to refresh my memory. I had thought her original assignment was for eight days as an Observer and Liason. Fact I think that Trip said that when he was talking to her in the Decon.

She reported to Archer and told them she would only be on board a short time, was not a Spy and snubbed Trip's hand.

dialee
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby dialee » Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:26 am

I had thought her original assignment was for eight days as an Observer and Liason.

I think you're right because of the conversation in Archer's office just before T'Pol arrived. However, it seems that as Observer and Liaison, she had the authority of a FO since she did take over after Archer was injured.

But I also remember another conversation between Archer and Trip about T'Pol taking the FO position. Archer apologing and Trip saying don't worry about it since he took the position of Chief Engineer for the warp 5 engine teasingly. I don't remember if this is really canon or I'm mixing memory from one of the fanfiction stories I've read.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”