Challenge Idea

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Challenge Idea

Postby Distracted » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:29 pm

They're missing from the last update because I did it and I have no idea who goes next.

I think since aadarshinah and I are doing all the betaing we should at least have some say over how long this thing lasts. I've just noticed that interest is petering out and we're gradually getting fewer and fewer comments for each installment. It's an awful lot of work for both author and beta if no one's interested. It's time to wrap it up when the effort expended greatly exceeds the returns received.

If we're going to keep going I think we need to focus our attention on returning to our original topic. The title won't make sense unless we somehow (at least by indirect reference) return to the topic of Andoria. I think if the rest of the authors want another turn that's fine, but they need to understand that it's time to round things up. We can't keep dragging this thing out forever. JMO.
Image sig by chrisis1033

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:39 pm

Distracted wrote:They're missing from the last update because I did it and I have no idea who goes next.

I think since aadarshinah and I are doing all the betaing we should at least have some say over how long this thing lasts. I've just noticed that interest is petering out and we're gradually getting fewer and fewer comments for each installment. It's an awful lot of work for both author and beta if no one's interested. It's time to wrap it up when the effort expended greatly exceeds the returns received.

If we're going to keep going I think we need to focus our attention on returning to our original topic. The title won't make sense unless we somehow (at least by indirect reference) return to the topic of Andoria. I think if the rest of the authors want another turn that's fine, but they need to understand that it's time to round things up. We can't keep dragging this thing out forever. JMO.

That being said, anyone feel like making a list of questions that need to be answered before the story ends? Some of them probably could be left open ened, but...

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:16 am

I posted my remark, because we had discussed round 3 earlier. I am cool with the fact that as beta's Distracted aadarshinah have decided to wrap things up. I totally understand the reasons given to round this story up. So if the coming chapters are the last and aadarshinah is wrapping things up, that's fine with me.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:50 pm

I don't want to seem like a dictator. Is everyone else okay with wrapping this up? If so, since I pretty much wrapped up the Weytahn scenario in my as yet unposted chapter, I think that the rest of the story should at least address the following four points:

1. The fate of Coridan (Canon says the Romulans destroyed it during the Romulan War. My intent was to have Enterprise arrive too late to save them and have this be the beginning of the war, but if you guys don't want to go there then someone needs to come up with a reasonable alternate ending for this subplot.)

2. What will happen to TnT now that she is pregnant? (a posting on Earth? Vulcan? Will they stay together or be separated?)

3. (This one will make more sense when my chapter gets posted) What will be the Andorian response to the news of a Vulcan/Coridan collusion to pin the attacks on the Romulans? Will Jhamel be able to convince her connections in the Andorian High Command that the Vulcan government had nothing to do with it? Will T'Pol know anything at all about the situation when Jhamel calls her? Will Soval? Will either of them be willing to provide Jhamel with information?

4. An epilogue or some sort of ending scene, if not on Andoria then at least reflecting on Andoria, to tie in our title.
Image sig by chrisis1033

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 4:10 pm

I can def do all four. Like I said, I've only a couple paragraphs written, but I'm about to post a chapter for another story... so between that and the decision I hope we can reach on this, I should be able to work on my chapter more...

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:44 pm

Or we could allow each remaining author to choose one topic to resolve. If we have three more people left to write a chapter after you (wasn't it Enerdhil, ginamr and panyasan?), each of you could deal with one of the four topics. With up to six pages each to work with, you guys could do justice to each aspect of the story so it doesn't seem too rushed.
Image sig by chrisis1033

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:25 pm

*sigh* oh okay, *pouts*

(to avoid confusion, the above was intended as sarcasim, though, in a strange way, i was looking forward to it all being over.)

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:34 am

Distracted wrote:Or we could allow each remaining author to choose one topic to resolve. If we have three more people left to write a chapter after you (wasn't it Enerdhil, ginamr and panyasan?), each of you could deal with one of the four topics. With up to six pages each to work with, you guys could do justice to each aspect of the story so it doesn't seem too rushed.

I can focus on #2 (it is the closest to my original 'thought' "epilogue"). But, if that proposition is accepted, then I feel my part would be better placed as the last one, TnT role determined after 'mundane' topics solved. This would require a sudden change of order for the next writers, as originally I was scheduled to follow AA.

But should it not be better to discuss those (authorship) topics through personal messages (there is a way to send to a group ?) in order to do not spoil to the readers ? For instance, on Babel (TOS) Corridan is the subject of the plot because of its admission (or not) to Federation, barely 100 years after ENT, due its commercial importance.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Sounds like you would be better suited to do topic one if you know so much about Coridan, Enerdhil. And, in my opinion, if we end this story with a "happy ending" for TnT and make no mention of Andoria in the conclusion, then our title becomes irrelevant. Everything must come full circle. We can't end this with TnT unless the ending also refers to our title somehow, IMO. Otherwise it makes no sense thematically.

The pms are a good idea, BTW. Anybody who wants to be involved in the discussion sign up here and we can start a group pm thread to include everyone.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:06 pm

At least, include all authors... :) As for your comment about the ending, I assume that 'epilogue' is *after* the story concludes... :)

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:34 pm

well, sign me up. I know what I'm doing and it doesn't (from the sound of it) conflict with enderhil's plans, so...

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:09 am

So, aadarshinah, how are things going with your chapter? The latest chapter is only a few stories from the bottom of the list now. We don't want to get bumped completely off the front page.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Enerdhil
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Enerdhil » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:36 am

Distracted wrote:So, aadarshinah, how are things going with your chapter? The latest chapter is only a few stories from the bottom of the list now. We don't want to get bumped completely off the front page.

We need a breaking headline! :)

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:48 am

I seem to be stuck about halfway through it - I'm trying to get it finished before thanksgiving, but the more I work on it, the worse it seems to get... idk, It's driving me crazy, though. So does everything else I seem to try to write.... it's not forgotten though. I'll try to get it decent enough for a beta soon, I promise.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:05 am

Okay. I know. This is getting riddiculous. I know exactly what I write, but every time I manage to put my words on paper, it looks like :censored: and makes no sense in any language I happen to have passing familiarity with. I think I've arrived at such a block for this chapter that I have no idea how/when I will be able to overcome it. And feel tremendously guilty for taking even this long to come to this conculsion. Which just makes the writing all the worse.

So, yeah. I suck. If you want me to step aside so that someone who, idk, actually can make themselves write this chappie (which is argueing with me, despite the fact that, like I said, I know exactly how I want it to go), I completely understand. If not... it may be a while.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”