The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: T'Pol's Clothing

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:46 pm

Aquarius wrote:I have to find the list again, but from what remember I think this all originated with Coto, who also said that Trip and T'Pol *would* be getting together officially in Season 5.

Yeah, I know. But he said that after the show was over, which is why I take it with a grain of salt. From the mindset of a television exec, it makes perfect sense to extend the WTWT angst for as long as possible, so I could easily see them introducing another roadblock just to keep playing with the angst for a little bit longer. Anything to avoid writing an actual relationship, ya know?

And I disagree with panyasan. I thought her hair looked the best in IAMD, even if that was Mirror T'Pol. "Twilight" hair was better than normal, but IAMD hair ruled all. Plus? midriff-baring uniform. Rowl.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:48 pm

The thread I referenced is actually here, but the list that Alelou posted didn't contain the reference about TnT actually getting their relationship...so either it was later in the thread, or somewhere else entirely that I read that.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:05 pm

Funniest snark I ever read about ENT - and that's saying something. A TWOP recapper on T'Pol's purple catsuit:

"Oh my god, it looks like she killed Barney for his pelt."
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:And I disagree with panyasan. I thought her hair looked the best in IAMD, even if that was Mirror T'Pol. "Twilight" hair was better than normal, but IAMD hair ruled all. Plus? midriff-baring uniform. Rowl.
Yes, that's right, her hair looks good in IAMD too and I do like good midriff's - not for a rowl-reason, but because it looks great on women. But no midriffs in uniform, please.

Interesting thought that they would make T'Pols hair more natural to her own in season five. I would liked to see her hair a little lighter (I did like those chesnut streaks in *the_abomination* - something not so very Vulcan - made me wonder why she had them) and a bit longer. Looks better. I thought her hair was a bit too short in season one and two, but her face was more serene in season one and two. I liked that.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:03 pm

See, Jolene's so pretty and got such great bone structure that she could totally rock a short haircut--so long as it was a real short haircut and not one of those helmet-y wigs. If they gave her something with real texture and movement, it wouldn't have looked so severe despite the length.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:22 am

A total non sequitur...

But if T'Pol were to have worn the normal Starfleet uniform, what color would the piping have been? Yes, on her modified uniforms it's the blue of science, but in the MU, where she presumably had the exact same position, her MU uniform has the yellow piping. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:32 pm

aadarshinah wrote:A total non sequitur...

But if T'Pol were to have worn the normal Starfleet uniform, what color would the piping have been? Yes, on her modified uniforms it's the blue of science, but in the MU, where she presumably had the exact same position, her MU uniform has the yellow piping. Anyone want to take a stab at it?

In "Hatchery" the uniform she is wearing (and I am guessing it's hers) has gold piping.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:42 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:In "Hatchery" the uniform she is wearing (and I am guessing it's hers) has gold piping.

Actually, I'm pretty sure she just grabbed a random uniform so as to blend in and avoid notice - recall, she even wore the hat right before she nerve pinched that MACO. I'm pretty sure the Hatchery one doesn't have any rank on it, implying that it was a Crewman's uniform. Yes, I get that she didn't wear rank during season 3, but even still.

As it stands, it's only logical to presume that she would be wearing the blue-green stripe of Science, not the Gold of operations/command, since that's the color of the stripe she has in her season 4 catsuits and she is the Science officer. The MU version doesn't really count, I think, because their command structure isn't quite the same as it is in the RU (she's only a Lieutenant Commander, not a full Commander, for example, and the Terran Empire doesn't seem to care too terribly about Science) nor does her stint as captain in the magic reset button episode. Why would someone presume that she wouldn't wear the Science piping?

Totally unrelated, did you know that Trinneer is the only actor who wore all three colors during the show? In "Acquisition," the uniform he grabs has the blue-green of Science, and in "Twilight" he's got the gold piping.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:08 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Why would someone presume that she wouldn't wear the Science piping?

I would presume it, because she was also the FO, and in my book, FO trumps SO.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:11 pm

Then, by that thinking, why wasn't she wearing the gold piping on her catsuits in season 4? She was the XO then too, but very clearly wore Science piping. Hence, it's logical to presume that she would wear it in a SF uniform as well. Look at Spock a 100 years later - he's the first officer but wears the blue of Science rather than the gold of Command.

For that matter, Trip was supposed to be the FO before T'Pol joined, but he was wearing the red of engineering.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:19 pm

On the cover of "Beneath the Raptors Wings" she is wearing a Starfleet uniform (she switched to it in the beginning fo the book) with gold piping.

Methinks this detail wasn't give too much thought by TPTB.

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:27 pm

For that matter, Trip was supposed to be the FO before T'Pol joined, but he was wearing the red of engineering.

If the colours are supposed to be red for engineering/support staff, blue for science, and gold for command, who exactly counts for each? Okay, yes, scientists were blue and engineers where red, as do apparently armoury officers, but what counts as command staff if not the Captain and the First Officer - or, for that matter, the rest of the command staff?

While I can understand the arguement for T'Pol wearing blue as the science officer first and foremost, you've got to admit there's not a lot of logic to it.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:31 pm

And again, I point you to other examples. Spock was Kirk's FO and didn't wear gold (which I think is supposed to be Operations, not Command - the "command staff" consists of all the Named/Main Characters since they were department heads) Trip was supposed to be Archer's FO & wore the red of engineering.

Again, if she was supposed to be wearing gold piping, then why didn't she wear it in season 4? Occam's Razor.
Aikiweezie wrote:On the cover of "Beneath the Raptors Wings" she is wearing a Starfleet uniform (she switched to it in the beginning fo the book) with gold piping.

Yeah, but they also used her appearance from season 1 (hair, face, even the pose from one of the pre-series pictures where she, Archer & Reed were holding advertising tech like cell phones and the like) And the Relaunch stuff has already displayed a copious lack of common sense anyway so...

And I think she switched in TGTMD because of Trip's "death."

I guess if someone acknowledges those books, the answer is gold piping. Even if it makes no logical sense whatsoever to me (like most of Star Trek, actually.)

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Yeah, but they also used her appearance from season 1 (hair, face, even the pose from one of the pre-series pictures where she, Archer & Reed were holding advertising tech like cell phones and the like) And the Relaunch stuff has already displayed a copious lack of common sense anyway so...

And I think she switched in TGTMD because of Trip's "death."

I guess if someone acknowledges those books, the answer is gold piping. Even if it makes no logical sense whatsoever to me (like most of Star Trek, actually.)

The cover art is bad in my opinion, and I forgot, she did switch to a Starfleet uniform in the earlier book. I can't imagine why they would make T'Pol look like she did i season one. That made no sense.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

I don't think you can hold the authors of the book responsible for the cover art - authors, unless they are unusually powerful, generally have no say whatsoever in the cover art and it's clear some grunt photoshopped an image that was furnished to them. I know Martin tried very hard to do his homework (to the point that the meta references upon references got overwhelming in the last book) - but I don't recall what color her piping is in the books. It's conceivable that the artist chose gold piping for composition reasons rather than what she wore in the book.

I have a friend who used to work at Getty Images - and she would furnish photos to artists who were doing the cover art for various romance novels and young adult novels - and most times the artist had only read a plot synopsis.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”