This one line...

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Thot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

This one line...

Postby Thot » Sat May 29, 2010 2:35 pm

I have always asked myself this one question after reading some fanfic concerning the kiss scene in "Bound"

I always thought, that Trip said: "and that ... this thing between us... I'm not big of a deal."
But at some place people refer to it, as if he is saying "and that ... this thing between us... isn't that big of a deal."

I have listened to this moment at least a dozen times now and I always understand version one. So unless my sense of hearing is lousy, it's number one.

For everyone who wants to look it up again here

I know, that the subtitles on the DVD say number two, but these subtitles are already dead wrong at other places and I don't care, if the screenplay tells it's number two, because the actors/directors deviated also in other incidents from what the book writes.

In addition: What sense does it make for Trip to transfer away from his loved job, because he can't stand the thought to be too distracted and get somebody killed in the process and then two/three weeks later, it isn't really that worth mentioning. :duh:
But version one fits quite good into the scene, because with downplaying himself ("I'm not good of a catch.") he wants to apeace T'Pol after pulling off this stunt of forcing her to admit her wish for him to come back.

So the question is: Am I the only one, who hears "I'm not..." instead of "isn't that..."?
"If we simply judge our past, we only condamn ourself not to understand it."

- Peter Godman

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: This one line...

Postby justTripn » Sat May 29, 2010 3:01 pm

"This thing between us . . . in't that big of a deal"

Trip says "in't" for "isn't"

AND "isn't that big of a deal" totally fits with his cocky attitude at this moment. So I'm 100% sure it is, and should be: "in't that big of a deal"

This one is a win for Trip. A long awaited win for Trip. He does know his worth in this one.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Thot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Thot » Sat May 29, 2010 3:30 pm

justTripn wrote:Trip says "in't" for "isn't"

Okay. So as a non-native speaker, I simply struggled with Trip's accent.

This one is a win for Trip. A long awaited win for Trip. He does know his worth in this one.

But why does T'Pol say: "Agreed" with a nearly smug expression?

I don't want to rule it out, that you're right, but still... :dunno:

- Peter Godman

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat May 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Because she is stuck. She has just been embarassed and is trying her best to save face. So after kissing Trip and asking him to stay, she has to agree that, "of course, this thing between us isn't a big deal." When she has just admitted by her actions that it is.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat May 29, 2010 3:39 pm

I didn't find her "agreed" afterward smug. To me, it was more annoyance than anything.

It was right after she realized he'd tricked her into showing some affection for him by pretending to "consider" returning to Enterprise when he'd already requested it 3 days earlier. She was annoyed with falling into his trick (which was a good one) and tried to resume her facade of indifference.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat May 29, 2010 3:42 pm

And of course she has the satisfaction of knowing that he is returning to Enterprise (maybe because of her?). And the relieif of finally having some things out in the open? He didn't object when she kissed him. She has that.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat May 29, 2010 3:46 pm

crystalswolf wrote:I didn't find her "agreed" afterward smug. To me, it was more annoyance than anything.

Really? I didn't see any annoyance, especially in regards to her final Vulcan non-smile (KTR made an avatar of it a while back.

She seems pretty pleased to me. I saw it as her acknowledging that Trip had a point, that she had been frustratingly passive-aggressive in her actions with him, but that they were back on the right track for a change. But annoyance? Just didn't see that, not after he let her know that he was staying. Prior to that, when she found out that he'd already requested a transfer back? Yeah, she seemed vaguely irked, but after the end of their conversation, she seems fairly pleased to me.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 29, 2010 4:15 pm

Really I thought that expression meant, "I don't know what that means, but I'm hoping its a good thing." Personally I thought that line was overkill, he made his point with by demanding she admit she wanted him. He got a kiss and for a Vulcan a complete moment of panic. That's enough. I was thinking... "Are you kidding me, do you want her to think you're not comitted to this? Know your audience Trip!"
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat May 29, 2010 4:40 pm

I didn't fully understand Trips remark, but I was glad he took the upper hand. Don't mind him being smug - he deserved some. I thought her expression meant "I don't know exactly what you mean, but I think we finally agreed we want to be together, are on the right track and I am pleased about it."
BTW: I liked the avatar when T'Pol makes her face so much, I try to make it my own, but when I uploaded it, it had too much kb.

Edit: it worked! Thanks KTR.
Last edited by panyasan on Sat May 29, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sat May 29, 2010 4:47 pm

After all the times T'Pol pushed Trip away in season 4 -- after telling him that he was an experiment after she seduced him, I think Trip deserved his one moment in the sun. He finally got her to admit that she wanted him to stay, tacitly implying that she had feelings for him. This was a huge admission on her part.

As for the "this thing between us...it isn't such a big deal"-- yes, it was a little on the strange side. I guess I figured that he was telling her that the bond wasn't something he was upset about. Developing a bond was something that had probably never occurred to him. While the same could be said for T'Pol, the bond was primarily the result of her being Vulcan. I think he was just telling her that he was OK with being bonded to her, especially since she finally acknowledged her feelings for him.

In Demons and Terra Prime, Trip is obviously having some problems with the bond, but why shouldn't he? I think it's far more realistic that if he just had another person in his head all the time and never thought another thing about it.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat May 29, 2010 4:50 pm

Dinah wrote:In Demons and Terra Prime, Trip is obviously having some problems with the bond, but why shouldn't he? I think it's far more realistic that if he just had another person in his head all the time and never thought another thing about it.

I've also always presumed that she finally got around to telling him about the trellium addiction between "Bound" and "Demons," which is another reasons he's kind of pissy at her.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat May 29, 2010 4:54 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Really? I didn't see any annoyance, especially in regards to her final Vulcan non-smile (KTR made an avatar of it a while back.

Um... I think we're talking about two totally different moments. My post was about the moment right after "in't that big of a deal" where she says "Agreed". I would (personally) describe her reaction as protectively haughty. What I would consider a smug look on her face was after Trip says "Guess we've got a lot of work to do" and walks away.

The way I see it, she reacted to his actions a few ways from kiss to end of scene, kind of like this:

She kissed him to get him back on Ent because she REALLY wanted him back.

After his comment about already requesting return to Ent she was annoyed that she fell for his trick ("Three days ago?") & the way her jaw set, her head cocked to the side, and her brow raised slightly after he said "And that uh... this thing between us..."

Her eyes narrowed at him when he finished off with "in't that big of a deal" which made me feel as though she had in her mind, "Well if he's going to continue to pretend like its nothing, I will too."

And finally after he said "Guess we've got a lot of work to do" and walks away, she seems still annoyed but considers the discussion and is ultimately satisfied with it. My interpretation was that she was thinking at this time how their relationship had returned to the level of comfortable banter that would keep the door open for more.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Sat May 29, 2010 5:01 pm

This thread just gave me a short story idea! Standby! :happyjump:
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Sat May 29, 2010 5:07 pm

I never saw this as Trip pushing too far but him finally getting her to acknowledge what was going on between them and feeling good about getting the upperhand for once. She didn't appear hurt and she may not have totally understood what he said but I thought she understood he got her and knew it was a very good thing so she backed out of the situation as best she could without making herself more vulnerable.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Thot
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Thot » Sat May 29, 2010 6:00 pm

What might also influence her reaction is the knowledge about the existing bond. Something like: 'You can't simply push him away if he is your bondmate!'
Therefore, she shows more lenience in his acting regarded under Vulcan standards.

The more I think about this line, the more I'm convinced, that he is simply trying to keep it low. To protect himself from being easily hurt. To talk himself into believing, that he isn't so much into it, although deep down he knows different.

Just look at the exchange during 'Demons' while they are in the mining area:

T'P: "Trip..."
T (focused on finding the right way): "I think we are getting there..."
T'P: "I know you're not convinced I've told you the truth... about the child."
T: "What do you mean?"
T'P: "You think I might have gotten pregnant without your knowledge."
T: "I never said that."
T'P: "I know."
T: "You've been talking to Phlox."
T'P: "No. Have you?"
T: "Look, it's because you're Vulcan, isn't it?... That you know all this?"
T'P: "I believe so."
T: "I'm sick and tired of this bond we've got."
T'P: "I don't particularly enjoy it, either."
T: "Listen, for the last time, and for the record... I do believe you. And if you get any more feelings..."

Meaning: He wants to believe her, but at this time he simply can't. He had enough for getting kicks in his balls, whenever he wants to approach a relationship with her. Deep down he mistrusts her, that she got pregnant without his knowledge and now she can even scan him for his feelings...

When he gets additionally the info about her addiction and how it was connected to their neuro-pressure sessions and their one shared night => being 'a bit pissy' is the last phrase, which crosses my mind.

I mean: "I'm sick and tired of this bond we've got." doesn't leave much to the imagination.

So all those fanfics about 'They clean the air after Elizabeth's death and all is well', can be quite nice and fluffy, but they are unrealistic as hell and from my point of view out of character. Trust needs time to develope and not only some finally shared words.
But that's also the advantage of fanfiction: Write what you like, not necessarily what is realistic or in character. ;)

- Peter Godman

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”