What inspires you?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: What inspires you?

Postby panyasan » Tue May 18, 2010 5:02 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote:Question: Anyone interested in doing this as a round robin??
If there are more people interested then just me.... :roll:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Distracted » Tue May 18, 2010 5:17 pm

Re: Dr. Who round robin.

If someone else sets up the baseline story and organizes it, I'll contribute. I'll need to watch some Dr. Who to bone up on the tropes, though. I haven't watched any in years.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 19, 2010 1:30 pm

Tim Russ on seaQuest haha I love this show. It's so Trek under water. I even got an idea for an alien encounter. OK I'm ripping it off. Silicate (I spelled it wrong I know) magnetics. Basically sand being manipulated to anything at all. I thought it was cool. I did want so scientific miracles in my tail.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 22, 2010 1:26 am

I watched Seaquest DSV and liked it when Roy Scheider was in it. Then it jumped the shark when they travelled forwards in time, and even though Michael Ironside is one cool guy, he didn't work as the new Captain.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 22, 2010 1:48 am

Agreed but I loved the DeLuise brothers, the character Lonnie Henderson (because Ford really needed a woman) And Lt. James Brody... :drool:
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat May 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Distracted wrote:Re: Dr. Who round robin.

If someone else sets up the baseline story and organizes it, I'll contribute. I'll need to watch some Dr. Who to bone up on the tropes, though. I haven't watched any in years.

Okay, so that's me, Panyasan and Dis... Anyone else?? C'mon!

And how do we want to do this, if we do this? Through a separate thread? I can start the story, then someone can call dibs and take it up, etc. etc.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat May 22, 2010 3:09 pm

We did a posted round robin on HoT once. We chose one person to be the organizer. They wrote the setup. Then they sent it to the next person, who sent it to the next, etc. Each person wrote two pages with a cliffhanger and sent it in to the organizer, just to make sure that the continuity was good. After the organizer betaed it for continuity and the final versions were approved by the authors the organizer sent each segment in. If you want to know how it came out, here's a link:

http://triptpolers.houseoftucker.com/fiction/_round_robin_4_silk_and_subterfuge.shtml

Of course, to get this kind of result we'd have to have a LOT more volunteers. Maybe you should start a thread and do a cattle call, LadyRainbow.
Image sig by chrisis1033

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 22, 2010 3:46 pm

I wish I could help but I wouldn't know where to start with Dr. WHO.

Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri May 28, 2010 4:10 am

Along these lines (the Inspires question, not the Who question), do you (a generic you) have a Music selection you use when you write? Or are you a a "hide in a hole, no noise, no music, no nothing but me & the Muse" type of person?

Of late, I'm been kicking it with the awesome Mass Effect 2 soundtrack and it's helped a lot because it has a lot of Big Damned Hero motifs and I like that sort of thing.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 28, 2010 4:39 am

OK I am definitely not a "quiet time writer" because if I tried to write in quiet I'd go stark raving bonkers. That said for ST no I don't have a particular soundtrack or certain songs or music for characters. Whatever gets me pumping, from Yo-Yo Ma to Miley Cyrus is fair game, as long as it keeps me typing. Although background noise from a cooking show also works. But since Rigil mentioned Mass Effect, and every Kotorian I know plays Mass Effect (except me) I got to say the music for Dantooine, and Maanan, could fit a contented T'Pol beautifully.

But as she is a Jazz fan, sometimes Lena Horn and Ella Fitzgerald helps. I know she might not need a song to go with the music but I do.

Now if I'm writing KOTOR, (which I haven't done in a LONG time) I not only have specific songs for characters and sountracks for the mood I want, I have them organized by priority. I just don't have the same need for ST. Probably because there are fewer characters to deal with.

Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri May 28, 2010 12:34 pm

I tend to write in silence, if only because even if I pop in a CD it ends and then I don't notice. Sometimes I'll put Windows Media Player on shuffle, but I'm not sure why I bother since if I'm writing I'm generally just not paying attention to anything else.

For example, I was working on "The Crossing" yesterday to Natalie Merchant's phenomenal Leave Your Sleep CD, which really deserved my full attention. (But didn't get it. I didn't even flip to CD 2 when the first one finished.)

And I tend to put on something rockin' if I need to clean.

There are some songs about writing that I have occasionally imagined playing for my students as a sort of "theme of the day to help you wake up and start writing," though I never have. Natasha Bedingfield's "Unwritten" falls into that category. For the library fair I made a CD that includes that one as well as "Love in the Library" by Jimmy Buffett.... I actually am very interested in any songs about writing, reading, or libraries. (So let me know if you know of any!)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 28, 2010 2:05 pm

Actually that happened to me last night. I was typing so furiously that I didn't hit my repeat button. Thankfully the dog was making enough noise to keep me from going comatose. Still it scared me a bit, if I go off too far into something the results aren't good. I forced myself to stop at 1:30 AM.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri May 28, 2010 6:48 pm

When I write when my family is asleep, I write in silence, when my family is around, there is enough noise, so I don't need any music (my computer is in the living room). A couple of days I was checking the chapter my beta had sent back and my 3 year old start hitting the keyboard and the text went downwards. I corrected it, but later I found out I accidently deleted one of most important sentence in the chapter.
Love is a verb.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 28, 2010 6:54 pm

Eeek! Did you manage to get the sentence back? Well it must be different if the house is full. But it's me, the cat, and the dog, so I need noise.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri May 28, 2010 7:06 pm

WarpGirl wrote:Eeek! Did you manage to get the sentence back? Well it must be different if the house is full. But it's me, the cat, and the dog, so I need noise.
Yes, I did. I don't mind the noise so much, it the "let's climb on mama's lap and see what she is doing"-part that sometimes can be distracting.
Love is a verb.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”