The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: "Divergent Paths" Discussion

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:15 am

VOY had good sense? When did that happen? ;-)
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:57 pm

I just re-read 64 again and I think the ship is going to be running better than new when the Vulcans get it back. Also I know Rigil writes several chapters further along than have been posted. From his standpoint as a former infantryman, I'd love to see a chapter with them enjoying just getting really clean again on the ship after a year of being on the ground. It can really make a difference in your outlook

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:16 am

Navigator wrote:getting really clean again on the ship after a year of being on the ground. It can really make a difference in your outlook

It makes a difference to me after just a DAY.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:10 pm

Plus? Like Trip said, tropical island, beautiful woman, and a job he loves. Yeah ... his mood's gonna improve...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:58 pm

New chapter up! Chapter 65. With a great "angry Malcolm".
Rigil Kent wrote:Plus? Like Trip said, tropical island, beautiful woman, and a job he loves. Yeah ... his mood's gonna improve...
So next chapter (chapter 66) tropical island and TnT? :happyjump:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Navigator
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Navigator » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:04 pm

See, I made him commit to it. :lol:

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:03 am

Hey, what happened to Chapter 65? I know it was a Malcolm POV because I peeked at it earlier, but it's not coming up on the drop down menu tonight.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Postby aadarshinah » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:38 am

it's doing the crazy FF.net thing again. Try refreshing it a couple times, or, if that doesn't work, go back to 64 and click next... or cut and paste the link. I think it's an issue with the database the site uses, and really can't be fixed without recoding the site... which would probably be impossible, or next to it.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:12 am

OR ... if fanfiction.net is being its usual pissy self, you could go to my website (click on the lovely banner below) to read it.

I very much wish FF.net was actually ... you know ... stable. That site is so danged wonky...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:43 pm

And there's a wonderfully eventful new chapter up! :happyjump:
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Sigh. What a wonderful chapter. The conversation before the last scene was just great.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:08 pm

I've read chapters 1-65 yesterday and I'm glad to see a new one up. There's only one word for chapter 66 - spectacular :happyjump:

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Thanks for the good vibes all. Individual replies (if possible w/logged in reviewers at the Pit) will be forthcoming, but I wanted to quickly respond to something the lovely & gracious Pitseleh said since she doesn't have an account at the Pit, specifically:
I am somewhat surprised at the extension of Trip's abilities. While I have to doubt he is extremely talented in what he does, for him to be able to repair a warp engine and create a transporter is no short of genius.

Now, if I'm understanding this remark correctly, you're hesitant at the notion that Trip is capable of building a transporter using parts aboard the T'Muna-Doth, right? Were this not Trek and was grounded in real science instead of the 'make-it-up-as-you-go' soft nonsense that passes for Trek science ("red matter," anyone?), I'd totally agree with you, but since we actually saw Trip working on the transporter by himself at least once that I remember (the totally awesome episode "Countdown," which remains to this day my all-time favorite ENT episode even if they killed off Hayes really stupidly) and had him working alongside Dr. Erickson in "Daedalus" (or "Dud-alis" as I call it) where he was very clearly more than simply competent with the internal components and theories behind said device, I felt it was legitimate to presume Trip could build one if the parts were available. Factor in T'Pol's brain training, wherein his memory has become utterly eidetic, and you get a Trip who can close his eyes and remember every single technical schematic for the transporter that he's ever looked at. Unlike the canon show, however, I have no plans for the transporter to become a crutch - the likelihood that their cobbled together version is going to be that reliable is pretty slim.

So blame this bout of "super engineering" on {1} Trek Science Rules, and {2} T'Pol's Brain Training. Does that work for you?

Again, thanks to all the good vibes. I'm gonna need 'em for a twist in next chapter.

Heh.
Last edited by Rigil Kent on Sat Aug 28, 2010 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kotik

Postby Kotik » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:08 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:Again, thanks to all the good vibes. I'm gonna need 'em for a twist in next chapter.
Heh.

I hope we don't have to beg that it won't be another near-death experience for one of them? :?

You have one epically great story there with more character-development in one chapter than TPTB managed in a whole series. The only gripe I have with it, is that the number of 'nearly-killed' situations starts to become ridiculous. They've been mauled, maimed, cheated, shot, whatever by everybody and his dog :shock:

Otherwise, great story and now that there seem to be glimpses of a real relationship surface, I hope to see more such great moments as in chapter 66 :happyjump:

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:25 pm

Kotik wrote:I hope we don't have to beg that it won't be another near-death experience for one of them? :?

Well that would be telling...
The only gripe I have with it, is that the number of 'nearly-killed' situations starts to become ridiculous. They've been mauled, maimed, cheated, shot, whatever by everybody and his dog :shock:

To which I can only reply: "how is that any different from the actual canon show"? All of Trek (or most adventure-based TV shows) are like that, and I think if you actually looked at the number of 'nearly-killed' situations at this point, it's not that bad. Let's see: T'Pol - nearly incinerated in ch2, shot in ch11, escaped soldiers in ch17, escaped city in ch18, not really threatened again until ch44 or so with Undil, then captured for interrogation in ch53 and rescued in ch58. That's not that bad, actually, not with almost a human year elapsing between chapter 1 and chapter 66. Sure, Trip has also been nearly incinerated (ch2), been shot at (ch5), nearly blown up in a battlefield (ch15), shot at again when he & T'Pol escaped the city (ch18), took an ice bath (ch20 - which had very good results since he woke up naked with an equally naked T'Pol next to him - I'd be perfectly willing to go skinny dipping in ice water if I was gonna wake up naked with an equally naked hawt Vulcan babe next to me), and attacked by a bear (ch47), but I don't see it as being any worse than what he did during the course of a single season of the canon show. And, if you double-check at the Pit, I did put this particular story firmly in the "Adventure" category" so near death experiences are gonna be in there a lot. Otherwise, it's boring. IMHO, of course.
now that there seem to be glimpses of a real relationship surface

I'd argue that they've had a "real relationship" for a while now. It's just evolving toward something more ... sexual.

But I'm definitely glad you jumped on this crazy ride. Hope you enjoy it...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”