The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: "Divergent Paths" Discussion

Postby Silverbullet » Tue May 18, 2010 1:16 pm

Historically, Commanders were charged with presenting thier nations in first contacts: Captain cook, Lewis and Clark, etc. they were given trade goods and dodads as gifts. Used those to impress the local guys.

Obviously this would not work with Archer but he ws to seek out new Species and make first contact. That is show the new species that Humans were not hostile, could be tursted and wanted to be friends. In that way Archer was a diplomat. He would be followed up later with a trained diplomatic group who would establish rade agreements, exchange Ambassadors and arrange for buildings to houe staff and the Embassy. That is wht diplomats do.

Archer refereed between Vuldcans and Andorians in Cease fire because both sides trusted him to be impartial.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 pm

My point is simply this Lewis and Clark didn't have the authority on the US government to mediate disputes between the local nations of native americans. EarthGov obviously had to give that authority to Archer for him to do so. So he was in effect a defacto Ambassador. Kirk did it, Picard did it, Sisko did it, Janeway did it... That's why I always assumed that Starfleet Captains were a diplomatic core, sanctioned either by EarthGov or the United Federation of Planets.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue May 18, 2010 3:19 pm

I thought this was already resolved. Why are we still arguing over it?

I am approaching this entire situation thus: Starfleet is the exploratory (and military, though they don't really want to admit that) branch of EarthGov. The Diplomatic Corps is the equivalent of the US State Department for EarthGov and they have the authority to negotiate with foreign governments and powers. Archer is unique in that he is the captain of the first Warp 5 starship - before the NX-01 launched, Starfleet ships never went past an imaginary ... red line (for lack of a better word) which was established by the fascist Vulcan High Command. This means their ship commanders really didn't need to be diplomats, just good officers who knew how to captain, and the "strange new worlds" they explored had already been surveyed before by Vulcans. Archer, however, is boldly going where no human has gone before, which means he has to be more than just a ship commander. Simply because of his position as NX-01 commander, he's given more latitude and authority to act as a de factor diplomat (which no doubt pisses the Diplomatic Corps off to no end.) That said, he isn't a professional diplomat, so if there's a major situation requiring long-term negotiation, EarthGov will generally turn to the Corps. The whole "Cease Fire" thing is an exception to this rule - Archer was requested by name because he'd shown an affinity with the Andorians and an apparent ability to work with them that the Vulcans did not possess. Thus, Archer is setting precedent for future Starfleet captains to be sanctioned diplomats and very likely expected to be trained as such before being frocked.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 18, 2010 3:49 pm

Nobody was arguing. I was just trying to reconcile what I've seen in the show with what you wrote. The show doesn't make sense you did. Fine subject closed.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Tue May 18, 2010 3:55 pm

WarpGirl wrote:The show doesn't make sense you did.

:lol: Trek doesn't make sense most of the time. That's probably what was so jarring - me trying to make sense out of the senseless is a recurring problem. :D
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Wed May 19, 2010 4:17 pm

Another new chapter is up! Oh boy, what a cliffhanger!

It makes me think of Stephen Colbert...
SPOILER!!!:
...who so hates BEARS!!!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 19, 2010 7:36 pm

Rigil you're right Trek didn't make sense a lot, but I find myself more confused with ENT than any other including TOS. And tribbles confused me for about 20 years. Not joking. I couldn't figure out how something could be born pregnant.

PS. Lovely chapter. As someone who deals with bears often I can sympathize with poor Trip. Bears are magestic creatures, however they are not to be messed with. Scientific note, never stare at a bear that's a challenge and could prevoke them into attacking you.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Wed May 19, 2010 7:37 pm

Just read the new chapter! Best.ever. :popcorn:
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Wed May 19, 2010 8:18 pm

:thumbsup: Rigil that was one heck of a cliffhanger ending! You left poor Trip in a difficult situation. :shock: We don't have alot of Bear problems except in the forest areas like Hiking trails or campgrounds in the national parks. We have alot of problems with Wolves.

Pitseleh
Commander
Commander

Postby Pitseleh » Thu May 20, 2010 12:30 am

Really great chapter. Frustrating as hell, of course, but really great. And so many developments...

SPOILER!!!:
First of all, really interesting bond behavior. The fact that Trip's thoughts influence the performance of their shared mental space makes it so much more realistic. T'Pol's emotional reactions and their dialogue, especially the jokes, felt very real as well. I think this might be my favorite TnT interaction to date. And God, poor Trip! That guy must feel so tightly wound up... Of course, now we have a bear trying to kill him or eat him or something, so things aren't exactly picking up.

How long 'til the next chapter?
Image for avatar found in Enterprise Oddities; created by ivymae

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 20, 2010 12:27 pm

I have to agree I loved the fact that
SPOILER!!!:
T'Pol was scared to death that they were inside each other's heads. That line when Trip asks is she could read his mind was utterly inspired.
I thank your muse she served you well.

Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu May 20, 2010 2:20 pm

What I liked about this chapter
SPOILER!!!:
First, the fact that we saw an optimistic, charming and funny Trip in the white space scene. I am so happy Trip spoke his mind to T'Pol. No hiding, until he found out that it's not a dream. Secondly I liked that he understands it's T'Pols fear he is experiencing. No discommunication here. Trip is a clever man, he can figure things out. Brilliant and funny little detail: when Trip is trying very hard not to think of decon, he concludes T'Pol doesn't know, "but he thinks that the white space is turning a little blue."
I also like the musing of Trip when he takes a bath. He is struggling, he doesn't come across as a whimp or I had no desire to hit him over the head and to shout "Get real! Do something". I really felt for the guy. Nice insight in the male's mind.
I don't if it's done on purpose, but the mentioning of him being a old baptist (to baptize is to go under in water) before he goes under in the water is rather poetic.
Most of all I like that Trip and T'Pol stay perfectly in character, there is angst and miscommunication, but no character assassination and you like both characters. No we can only Ihope Trip makes it and stays true to his intention to find a way to clear the air with T'Pol.

Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri May 21, 2010 12:59 am

panyasan wrote:What I liked about this chapter
SPOILER!!!:
I don't if it's done on purpose, but the mentioning of him being a old baptist (to baptize is to go under in water) before he goes under in the water is rather poetic.

While I'm quite pleased this chapter went over well, I can only wish that I had intended something like this. I'm nowhere near that skilled with the written word (else I'd be writing for a living instead trying to find a job), so chalk it up to one of those happy coincidences.

One thing I definitely want to mention - the dream that Trip mentions having when he was nine? That was me. And it freaking terrified me. Lest you ask, no, I'm not afraid of either (although I do have a major snake phobia - comes from nearly getting bitten in the face by a water moccasin when I was a kid and swimming in one of the many Florida lakes I grew up around), but that dream really freaked me out big time.

And for those of you reading, feel free to chime in here about theories or ideas or things you might want to see. If I mug you and take your idea ... I might give you credit (like I keep giving BnB credit for the crap Vulcan night vision idea.) :raspberry:

And the next chapter will probably be up sometime tomorrow.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Fri May 21, 2010 1:14 am

Okay, as a fellow snake-a-phobic, it's always good to know I'm not alone. I saw a picture of a snake in a Donald Duck comic book when I was a kid; it was about 10 years before I cracked the cover again. I have to ask, though, just in case it situation ever arises, how did you avoid getting bit? You dodged and he didn't?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 21, 2010 1:19 am

I only have one idea... Start hinting how they are going to get home.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”