jT's E2 Series

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Re: jT's E2 Series

Postby crystalswolf » Thu May 06, 2010 8:29 pm

From what I understand of it, there were several methods for separating a young couple in a bed with varying degrees of effectiveness. Some of you may be interested in this: http://www.history.org/foundation/journ ... /court.cfm

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Postby justTripn » Thu May 06, 2010 10:14 pm

When I worked in the refugee camp, it was common practice for the Hmong families to all sleep in the same room, and if the children were young, all in the same bed. One day a Hmong man I worked with (he was about 20 (about the same age as me) with a wife and two kids) asked, "Do you sleep one person?" Which, with Hmong grammar, means "Do you sleep alone?" I said yes. And he goes, "I think it would not be very interesting to sleep one person." LOL . . . I said, "Trust me, it's not!"

Knowing how other so many other people live, I pretty much ignored the advice that a baby must to be left all alone in a crib to cry himself to sleep.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu May 06, 2010 11:26 pm

Women in other cultures strap the baby to their bodies and continue to work in fields and wherever. Baby needs to feel the comfort of its mother. I always hated to see a woman put a child in a crib with a bottle holder and a bottle propped in its mouth close the door and leave it.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri May 07, 2010 4:09 am

justTripn wrote:When I worked in the refugee camp, it was common practice for the Hmong families to all sleep in the same room, and if the children were young, all in the same bed. One day a Hmong man I worked with (he was about 20 (about the same age as me) with a wife and two kids) asked, "Do you sleep one person?" Which, with Hmong grammar, means "Do you sleep alone?" I said yes. And he goes, "I think it would not be very interesting to sleep one person." LOL . . . I said, "Trust me, it's not!"

Knowing how other so many other people live, I pretty much ignored the advice that a baby must to be left all alone in a crib to cry himself to sleep.
With my first baby, I had the crib in the room, but I felt so terrible leaving her alone, she slept most of the times between us on a little pillow. We also had my little son sleeping in his crib, next to me after he was born. With both kids, after a while hubs started to complain he wanted the bed back for us and we changed it. The kids still love to crawl in bed with mama and papa. We also gave them t-shirts that smelled like me and my son of three still doesn't want to go to sleep with his "mama" t-shirt. (We have a spare - t-shirt has to be washed now and then).
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri May 07, 2010 10:33 am

Sleeping with infants is very common in many cultures, but studies really do show it results in a higher percentage of smothered babies. My husband has done radio commercials for New York State targeted at Spanish speakers in the city area, because it's a fairly common tragedy there. Maybe the Hmong don't sleep on soft mattresses with comforters and such. Maybe they don't drink or get as overweight as people here do. I can understand the temptation, since I often dozed off while nursing in bed, but the risks are real.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri May 07, 2010 12:01 pm

With Sarah (my youngest), she slept in a bassinet right next to us. With the other two, Hubs insisted on the crib in a separate room. We had major disagreements on this issue. :evil:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 07, 2010 8:17 pm

Well all I know is my sister tried to take our brand new nephew out of my arms when he was fussing because she wanted him to fuss on his own. I said no!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri May 14, 2010 1:46 am

So, my urban organic farmer neighbor Nina took me to see an urban hive today. We got right up close to the honeybees - and no stings at all. She reconfirmed how tame domesticated honeybees are - it actual takes work to get stuck by them. They don't want to sting you - they die.

Anyway, she knew a little about NASA's research into bees in space - and apparently bees can survive and fly (with some adjustments) in zero g - and will probably be on long term space missions!
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 14, 2010 12:36 pm

OK now that is pretty wicked cool.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat May 15, 2010 6:29 pm

So what is the story behind your screenname, Honeybee? Does it have anything to do with your enthusiasm for bees in space?
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 15, 2010 7:00 pm

:D

Fics

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat May 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Actually, my lifelong interest in beekeeping (someday, I will have a hive) is inspired by the fact that my given name is Greek for honeybee. And so my mom and dad gifted me with things with bees on them my whole life and I had a bedroom with a bee theme as a kid. And that inspired an interest in the Napoleonic era - since his emblem was a bee!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat May 15, 2010 7:06 pm

Oh wicked cool!

Fics

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat May 15, 2010 9:57 pm

Melissa is a pretty name. My sister-in-law is named Melissa.
Image sig by chrisis1033

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sun May 16, 2010 11:36 am

Bingo! Lots of people don't know that Melissa means bee.

I like my name - never was Missy or anything - a few friends call me Em (for the initial M) because Melissa is a mouthful.

Melissa hit its peak of popularity in the 70s and 80s, and is now ranked 137 on the names list. But I don't think it will every go away.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”