jT's E2 Series

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

justTripn
Consigliere
Show On Map: No

Re: jT's E2 Series

Postby justTripn » Wed May 05, 2010 10:31 pm

Also, you are absolutely right, Honeybee. The plan to wait 117 years before blowing up the sphere was ridiculous. It's fine for a 1 hour show, if you don't think about it too hard. But if you start to think about it at all, it's intolerable. So I had teenage Lorian thinking these thoughts, and voicing these (and other) contrary opinions, which puts him at odds with the Captain.

The other thing they got wrong in E2 was that 117-year-old camomile tea, lol . . . GRRRRR. Which is why you see my crew running out of precious Earth food.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Wed May 05, 2010 10:52 pm

You're going to have to say hi to West Texas for me, JT!

Not to give you too swelled a head - I also enjoyed the very beginning of the series - with Trip not knowing they were back in time - and T'Pol claiming they were married though he didn't know - there' s lot of tension there since she's still struggling herself - and her actions don't appear entirely ethical - yet you make the reader understand why she's doing what she's doing. And she does save Trip.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Thu May 06, 2010 2:02 am

justTripn wrote:Embarrassing though it may be, I am myself a former missionary.

Not embarrassing at all.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu May 06, 2010 10:26 am

Maybe this is where you developed your general level of bravery...
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 06, 2010 1:34 pm

justTripn wrote:The other thing they got wrong in E2 was that 117-year-old camomile tea, lol . . . GRRRRR. Which is why you see my crew running out of precious Earth food.

Well if only for that I thank you for having so much good sense. Truly sometimes I wonder if TV writers even think in those terms. Unless trip got the replicator technology perfected that could not have happened.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu May 06, 2010 1:59 pm

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here - Chamomile comes from a flower and flowers can be grown in a garden. The ship has a garden. I imagine some of the food supply was grown in the garden. It's possible they could grow or even clone chamomile flowers. I'm not sure they could be growing big ticket stuff like peach trees or orange trees - but it's not implausible that they grew various plants and flowers aboard the ship.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Thu May 06, 2010 2:02 pm

WarpGirl, yes I agree. Lorian's morality was a little dubious: the ends justify the means. In particular, he had no problem with lying. He was very results-oriented, to put a positive spin on things :lol: And to give him credit, he was out making his way through uncharted territory, both with regards to the mission and his personal life.

panyasan, I appreciate your comments about the bond. The bond as the solution to every problem is annoying and would have gotten in the way of some of my stories, especially for Forwards and Backwards (a mystery) and Brainstorm (where Trip is struggling with feelings he can't share with T'Pol). So I contrived to break the bond for Forwards or Backwards and again in Reunion. You will noticed that the bond returns "naturally" as the marriage gets stronger. (I also have a parallel sci fi explanation as a backstory, but I'm not sure I ever made it explicit.)

Alelou, my "bravery" comes from having kids and bossing them around. And they look to you for help and consider you the font of all wisdom. Very affirming! And later in life, whatever odd thing you do (astronomy, hockey, Star Trek) it all seems perfectly normal to them because that's the way it's always been. They say, "OK, have fun, Mom!" :wave:

I just saw Honeybee's post. Cool! Good one! I take it your crew had a thriving hydroponics department.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu May 06, 2010 2:17 pm

Well, in the challenge fic I wrote for Aquarius, "A Kiss at Midnight" - I had T'Pol visit the ship's garden to obtain mistletoe (so she could pin it in her hair) and even created an OC to be in charge of the garden. Although I presented it as mostly hydroponics, there were soil-grown plants as well.

I actually picture the garden, which we of course never saw on the show, to be quite big and have all sorts of plants and flowers from Earth as well as samples picked up along the journey. I also imagine the garden would serve to recycle the air on the ship like it does in the SciFi film "Sunshine"

And of course if they are gardening - they might also have a honeybee hive somewhere there to pollinate the plants and flowers - which means they would have honey as well.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 06, 2010 2:21 pm

OK that will teach me to talk about any kind of plant or flower again. I am not good with growing things of a non-human or animal nature. I didn't know that chamomile was a flower. Did they say they had a hydroponics bay in the E2 Enterprise? I seem to remember that.

I can sympathize with Lorian's situation, but the guy was just a jerk as well. I mean yeah an impossible situation is leeway in a lot of things, but kindness and respect are still important. Lorian didn't let those qualities have a high place in priorites. He was even mean to that nice Karyn, where does he get off? Treating people with dignity is a mark of a great leader.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu May 06, 2010 2:28 pm

honeybee wrote:I actually picture the garden, which we of course never saw on the show, to be quite big and have all sorts of plants and flowers from Earth as well as samples picked up along the journey. I also imagine the garden would serve to recycle the air on the ship like it does in the SciFi film "Sunshine"

And of course if they are gardening - they might also have a honeybee hive somewhere there to pollinate the plants and flowers - which means they would have honey as well.
I know you mentioned a garden in "A Kiss at Midnight", but I never imagined a big, beautiful garden with honeybee's. :idea: The Enterprise garden. Wouldn't that be a great place for a TnT scene?
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 06, 2010 2:31 pm

I kind of think that bee's wouldn't be allowed on a Starship. What if they left the designated area, what if someone is allergic? Too dangerous.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu May 06, 2010 2:40 pm

I imagined a Hydroponics deck. Where fresh vegetables and fruit could be grown and it could also be used to recycle air. It would need a crew to take care of it.

However, since Enterprise only had seven decks not sre where it could go. There had to be a magazine for the trpedos and Pahser rifles, etc to be stored. That would take up a deck by itself. Which leaves five decks for everything else.

But a HYdroponocs deck would be essential
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Thu May 06, 2010 3:31 pm

honeybee wrote:I'm going to be the voice of dissent here - Chamomile comes from a flower and flowers can be grown in a garden. The ship has a garden. I imagine some of the food supply was grown in the garden. It's possible they could grow or even clone chamomile flowers. I'm not sure they could be growing big ticket stuff like peach trees or orange trees - but it's not implausible that they grew various plants and flowers aboard the ship.

This makes perfect sense, honeybee. I would think that seeds and things would be part of what they were sent out with when their original mission of exploration began, not only for growing things themselves, but also for trading as they meet new cultures. Seeds can be collected from new plants.

Also--Trip mentioned having peaches in stasis, so there's nothing saying they couldn't have used that to make their food supplies stretch for a while.

Bees--two of my friends are actually professional bee keepers. Every year I get a small hive from them for my garden. The bees for this purpose aren't dangerous--unless, of course, you start flailing around acting like a freak. Then they think you're a thread and will go after you. So...don't act like a freak and you're cool.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu May 06, 2010 3:33 pm

In Breaking the Ice Archer tells the students in that Q and A , "We have a hydroponic greenhouse onboard where we grow fruits and vegetables, and we can also replicate certain foods with our protein resequencer."
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 06, 2010 3:37 pm

I knew they had some kind of hydroponics, however I'm not sure they could grow trees. Not even Voyager did that. Comparatively speaking Enterprise is tiny. 83-86 people and most doubled quarters in the beginning. I think they would have had to converted a big section of the ship in E2 and also I never understood where they put all of the kids. The ship is so small. Birth control was probably also necessary. No wonder Reed "officially" stayed single.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”