Trip Speaking Vulcan

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Would Trip Talk Like Trip Speaking Vulcan?

Yes
56%
No
22%
Maybe
22%
Who Cares
No votes

Total votes: 18

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Trip Speaking Vulcan

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sun May 02, 2010 6:03 pm

Re: Vulcan dialects. There has to be more than one, since by TOS T'Pau had switched to an exotic Russian accent. Clearly there are linguistic fads on Vulcan.

I have this theory that, since Vulcans can speak English so flawlessly, English is an easy language for them to learn. Which then makes me wonder if Vulcan would be reciprocally easy for an English speaker, or way more complicated. Either way, I figure that, say, Trip speaking Vulcan would sound different than Malcolm speaking Vulcan - at least to a Vulcan, or Hoshi.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun May 02, 2010 6:46 pm

Wonder what Hoshi woould sound like being so fluent in so many languages from different species. Perhaps she could fool a native Vulcan.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sun May 02, 2010 7:08 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Re: Vulcan dialects. There has to be more than one, since by TOS T'Pau had switched to an exotic Russian accent. Clearly there are linguistic fads on Vulcan.

LOL. That explains it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun May 02, 2010 10:59 pm

OK I finally got smart, so when my internet cuts off I save what I want to say on a .doc and have it for later when it decides to work. Now this post was supposed to come after Transwarp's...

It's just that Aquarius has suggested for me to use a smiley when I am joking to avoid confusion. I was just trying to point out that since she hadn't used one I was confused this time. But I've never noticed a problem with Transwarp's posts. But I'll use the monkey for him so he won't be tempted. Even if I find it freaky! :evilmonkey:

Back to our favorite engineer... I wrote a sentence in ch 5 of May We Together... that illustrated what my purpose is here. This is Trip talking to a Vulcan who speaks no english at all...
SPOILER!!!:
"I wish you success." It was as close to a "good luck" the Vulcan language would allow.

So where he might have said "Good luck," "break a leg," "hit a home run," or "score a touchdown" (just examples) in other situations. That wouldn't work with a person who knows absolutely no english. I doubt even someone speaking Modern Golic Vulcan AKA informal Vulcan (which is what they were speaking here) would understand that. That's what I meant about Trip not sounding like himself.

On a completely self-serving promotional note, with all of the trouble this chapter has given me I think it will be ready for a beta next week! :faint: Here's hoping my health holds out.

UPDATE: On all the other posts about smiley's if anyone ever used one for school or work writing they must either have very cool professors or bosses, or not take work all that seriously.

Regarding dialects of Vulcan, I'm sure there are accents but not sure about dialects. The only 2 I know of are tradtional golic Vulcan the kind T'Pol and T'Lar speak in TOS show and movies. With the thee's and thou's. And modern golic Vulcan, the type Spock and Saavik would speak with each other.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun May 02, 2010 11:42 pm

WarpGirl wrote:It's just that Aquarius has suggested for me to use a smiley when I am joking to avoid confusion. I was just trying to point out that since she hadn't used one I was confused this time.

Confused is one thing. Usually when I make that kind of suggestion, I'm more concerned about offended.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 pm

OK I think we should just drop it. I hope this is a good topic and we can continue to discuss it.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon May 03, 2010 12:52 am

WarpGirl wrote: So where he might have said "Good luck," "break a leg," "hit a home run," or "score a touchdown" (just examples) in other situations. That wouldn't work with a person who knows absolutely no english. I doubt even someone speaking Modern Golic Vulcan AKA informal Vulcan (which is what they were speaking here) would understand that. That's what I meant about Trip not sounding like himself.
Well, I suppose that makes sense. There are things that just don't translate. If you told a Vulcan to 'break a leg' they would probably wonder why you were suggesting self-mutilation. (Does anyone know where that saying comes from, anyway?) So I suppose Trip would sound much more literal in Vulcan - but wouldn't everyone?

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon May 03, 2010 10:10 am

It comes from the theater. Superstition says that if you tell an actor "good luck, you'll do great..." they'll be awful, the show would flop, or something equally horrible would happen (even death). So to counteract that they said break a leg to fool fate. Gotta love the Ancient Greeks and Romans. They might not have used the words "break a leg" but they did start the tradition.

My theory is Trip might not use those expressions at all when speaking Vulcan to avoid confusion and be polite. He is a good Southern Boy, I think manners with strangers and in-laws would be important. At least until he (with Hoshi's help) either made them Universal translators that handle human idioms or they learned english.

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Tue May 04, 2010 11:49 pm

Ah, thanks for the reference on "break a leg."

You know, this has gotten me thinking of an interesting potential story idea involving idioms...

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue May 04, 2010 11:51 pm

Do it. Do it. Do it. If I remember correctly you did ENT facebook and it rocked! Please please. Insert adorable puppy begging.

Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Tue May 04, 2010 11:59 pm

JadziaKathryn wrote:Ah, thanks for the reference on "break a leg."

You know, this has gotten me thinking of an interesting potential story idea involving idioms...

That sounds like something I'd very much like to read! :thumbsup: Hatch that bunny!
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Wed May 05, 2010 5:24 am

Thanks. :D I actually started jotting down some ideas tonight. We'll see if it ever gets finished (versus joining the collection of story excerpts collecting virtual dust on my hard drive).

Except: (Trip is reading T'Pol's human idiom list)

Tastes like chicken: (humorous) a common human response to new foods, particularly meat

“I don’t think you’ve quite got the funny part,” he told her, tapping the line on the padd.

“I do not understand why it is humorous.”

“Well, see, there’s this tradition of comparing meat to chicken…”

“Lieutenant Reed and Ensign Mayweather explained. I simply fail to see humor in the comment, a frequent occurrence.”

“Okay then.”

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 05, 2010 6:04 am

OK I feel better now, if I inspired JadziaKathryn to write a story from one little tiny thread, than people can rip me to shreds I don't care. I am entranced by that snippet.

Fics

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Wed May 05, 2010 6:37 am

I wonder what a Vulcan would make of this:

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Wed May 05, 2010 6:50 am

How about "Well slap your grandma, and call me Santa." :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan: Oh the havoc. :D

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”