21%

Total votes: 19

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Review and grade episode 3-08 "Twilight"

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:30 am

The future is bleak and desolate, and it's this time to review yet another season three episode. Featured this time is Twilight.

Don't forget to give your grade as well, with 10 being excellent, 5 average and 1 awful.

This review is also viewable at my website.

3-08 Twilight

Reviewed by Kevin Thomas Riley

For some unfathomable reason Twilight is something of a fan favourite. I loathe it on just every level and the more gushing I hear about it the more I hate it. I just don't get it! I cannot even begin to understand why it is so liked. To me it's one of the worst episodes of Enterprise, and given which episodes that I've put at the very bottom of the barrel, this should tell you something about how much I despise it. It's pointless, insulting and unbelievable.

I hear the word "epic" bandied on about it, but that's certainly not the feeling I got. It's a freaking Reset Button™ episode. It does not matter in the grand scheme of things. It never happened. No one remembered it. We got to see a bleak future that will never come to pass. And we know this from the very beginning when we see the Earth destroyed by the Xindi superweapon. After that the only question is exactly how and when the reset button will be pushed, and that's become such a tired staple of Trek that I just don't care anymore.

I don't even get the notion that this episode shows the severity of the Xindi threat - the cost of failure. Um, so what? We know what failure means. I know about the horrors of a global thermonuclear war without having to experience it. And since Twilight is a reset button, it's not like the characters would remember anything of it anyway. So ultimately it's pointless.

A more effective way for the producers to have utilized this would've been for them to have the Earth destroyed in The Expanse, instead of just a smaller probe taking a swath of Florida. Then they could have Daniels show up and tell Archer & Co that this wasn't supposed to happen, after which he sends the Enterprise to the Expanse a year into the past to stop the Xindi before they launch the weapon. Then there would be an even greater urgency and the crew would know what would be at stake, having seen the destruction and remembered it.

Why is it that so many fans seem to like these alternate realities, perhaps even more than regular episodes? Doesn't that say that they deep down find the real shows disappointing, that different versions is deemed better than what they are normally presented with? The mirror universe episodes are very popular, for example. Many Voyager fans liked Year of Hell, but I hated that since it too was a pointless reset button. I suppose one could say that a lot of the things presented in Year of Hell is what should've been part of that show from the beginning (and this I agree with), but since it wasn't, those episodes sticks out a sore thumb at the show in general, and since it didn't happen anyway, it was just a pointless tease by the producers. I'm not exactly comparing Enterprise to Voyager. With this season Enterprise has shown that it can stand on its own and be a great show (something Voyager never was), so why pull a stupid stunt like Twilight?

Don't get me started about all the obnoxious Super Archer stuff that I've come to really hate. The message from Twilight is quite clear - only Archer is good enough to defeat the Xindi. Put him out of the equation and all goes to hell. Even Amnesia Archer is presented as the God Saviour of all mankind even when he can't remember what he had for breakfast the day before. He walks around like a pathetic has-been and we are lead to believe that no one except him can save humanity, let alone the ship. Even at his worst he's still supposed to be better and more competent than any other. They make the rest of the crew, especially T'Pol, look like morons for not being able to fend for themselves without Archer at the helm. To top it all off he still gets to save the day in the end, by having those temporal parasites in his head eradicated by blowing up the ship. And he does it after taking three blasts from a Xindi weapon, after T'Pol, who as a Vulcan should be far more resilient, goes down after just one hit. Ugh!

I don't mind strong Trek Captains but they shouldn't be strong at the expense of the other characters. I never saw Spock or McCoy made to look weak just so Kirk could look strong. A truly great crew should build upon the strengths of everyone, together. I don't mind the fact that Archer is supposed to be pivotal in the founding of the Federation and all that jazz, but I hazard to guess that without a competent crew he would never ever get to play that role.

Further, to add insult to injury, we have Nursemaid T'Pol forsaking everything just to take care of Amnesia Archer - day in day out for twelve years. Sheesh! She's reduced from a strong, independent woman to a freaking babysitter for an adult. And this is viewed as romantic? What kind of twisted romance would that be? It's just disgusting. Archer is the equivalent of an Alzheimer patient and T'Pol is his nurse. Even hinting at something romantic is just plain icky. The idea that a nurse would start a "relationship" with a patient with whom she never had been involved with prior, is wrong and inappropriate of the highest order. Archer has amnesia and will forget everything after six hours or so. He's a mental patient without his full faculties. He can't form a relationship with anyone and he cannot give consent.

This makes T'Pol's comment that their relationship has "evolved" over the years completely implausible. It cannot evolve. Evolution is gradual change over time, but Amnesia Archer is thrown back in time every night. He can't remember anything and T'Pol has to start from scratch the very next day, again and again and again, while Archer is perpetually stuck in Captain Ahab mode. There just can't be any evolution of anything at all.

I don't get why T'Pol decided to stay with Archer at all. It's certainly not logical. Her skills would be much more needed for the rest of the Enterprise, and the surviving fleet. It would also mean that more people could share in taking care of Archer. And why didn't she take up Soval on the offer that she should go to Vulcan with him, where Archer could be treated and cared for by experienced Vulcan physicians? That would've been the most logical course of action. But instead she gave up everything to nurture an ailing mental patient on an oblique world. Is that why some people think this is romantic? That T'Pol gave up her life and fell in love with someone who cannot reciprocate or even be there emotionally and mentally for her, but she still remains in this one-sided "relationship"? I don't know, but I don't find this romantic at all.

I cannot even understand why the small sub-sub-set of Archer/T'Pol 'shippers like this episode so much. Yeah, I know that this is pretty much all that they've got, but still… The "relationship" here is nothing but sick and twisted. Is this really how they view how a relationship between them would work - a strong woman giving up her career to stay at home to care for her big man? I'm insulted, and I'm not even a feminist! And I wanted to suffocate Archer with a pillow when he at the very end of the episode said to T'Pol that she'd make "a wonderful nurse"! Forgive me if I go and hurl!

In fact, what struck me instead was the bizarre amount of guilt T'Pol must have felt. First Archer saves her from the anomaly in the corridor (never mind that she as a Vulcan should've been stronger than him and should've been able to pull off that beam from her legs) and gets zapped by the temporal parasites in the process. And then she's in command when the Xindi blow up Earth, and feels she's responsible since it was she who crippled the Enterprise so that they weren't able to catch up on the superweapon. Her acting as Archer's caretaker was her form of penance. That's the only explanation that makes sense, and even that is stretching it. I just saw it as too out of character for her to act this way, even if we take into account her occasional and inexplicable display hero-worship of him.

Even if the story left a lot to be desired, the episode had some really nifty visuals, but that's what I've come to expect of this show. From Earth getting blown up to the final space battle, this time involving some other Starfleet ships (like the very cool looking Intrepid), it was a feast for the eyes. Even more pleasing to the eyes was T'Pol with long hair and a stunning casual civilian outfit. I know some people found T'Pol in a Starfleet jumpsuit/uniform good, but I didn't care for it. I think those things look ugly and didn't do justice to Jolene's awesome figure. I don't think they look good on anyone, really. Sue me, I'm shallow and I like her coloured catsuits!

The Ceti Alpha V reference was a nice nod to the planet where Kirk stranded Khan and his men. A bit ironic if what was left of humanity had remained there, since we know what happened to that planet between the original series episode Space Seed and the movie The Wrath of Khan.

Given my above stated intense dislike of Twilight it should come as no surprise that I only give this episode a grade of 2- on my 10-graded scale. I should give it just a 1 but long-haired T'Pol and the impressive visual effects earns it one more point, even if I feel that I'm probably too generous here. Nothing will ever convince me that this is a great episode!

Image Image
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Review and grade episode 3-08 "Twilight"

Postby Rigil Kent » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:33 am

I hate it. Everyone knows why. Since it's not *the_abomination*, I give it a 1 for the sheer fact that T'Pol wore the uniform when she was captain. Ignoring the absurd fact that she shouldn't be the captain since Tucker is legally the next in command during season 3.

I notice you didn't mention how Captain Tucker was just as incompetent as Captain T'Pol, and this after more years as the CO than Archer spent as ENT's CO. More of the "Only Super!Archer Can Command!" BS that I hate.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:36 am

Rigil Kent wrote:I notice you didn't mention how Captain Tucker was just as incompetent as Captain T'Pol, and this after more years as the CO than Archer spent as ENT's CO. More of the "Only Super!Archer Can Command!" BS that I hate.

If I'd mention every single annoying fact, this review would be twice as long... Confused

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:43 pm

I LOVED it, probably for all the reasons it's a fan favorite. I won't argue about it, but I will say I liked Trip as Captain. I also like to see episodes where the characters age. I found the whole thing shocking and terribly involving. I thought they created just the right atmosphere of a band of survivors desperately trying to hang on. I thought the crew seemed close. I loved the transtemporal infection in the Captain's brain. Cool plot device!

In addition, this episode was directed by Robert Duncan McNeil (Tom Paris). At Vulkon I asked him that question on stage: Which episode that you directed was your favorite? He described this episode but said, Sorry, he'd forgotten it's name. Of course several people called out the name.

Then later in the autograph signing room. No one was at his table and I got to talk to him. HE started the conversation by saying, "Hey, sorry I forgot the name of YOUR EPISODE." Then I got to compliment him on how wonderful that episode was, and we got to talk for like 5 MINUTES!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:38 pm

I'm with KTR on this one. I don't think I could ever understand how people can like this for all the bad points about it, including the weakening of my favorite characters in an attempt to make Archer seem more competant. So what if Trip was captain? So was T'Pol at one point, and as KTR pointed out, they were both made to look like incompetant, ineffective commanding officers.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:58 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Why is it that so many fans seem to like these alternate realities, perhaps even more than regular episodes? Doesn't that say that they deep down find the real shows disappointing, that different versions is deemed better than what they are normally presented with?

That's a really interesting theory ... I honestly hadn't considered that before (since I'm pretty much on record everywhere as hating magic reset button episodes of all stripes), but it definitely is something to think about.

Kind of sad too, when you think about it.

CX wrote:So what if Trip was captain? So was T'Pol at one point, and as KTR pointed out, they were both made to look like incompetant, ineffective commanding officers.

Well, that's how Enterprise showed us how "great" Archer was, by making everyone else incompetent and incapable of tying their shoes without Archer there to hold their hand or do it for them. Rolling Eyes

I suspect that, when you get down to it, this is going to be Love It or Loath It episode, with very few people being in the middle.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:29 pm

You know ,when i first watched this ep ,i wasn't biased on Trip and T'Pol ,it was the 5th episode of enterprise i watched ,because i started with season 3 ,but honest to god if i didn't heard the commentary from Sussman that it was suposed to be some kind of romance i never would have thinked of it that way ,i still don't see it as a two sided romance,even Sussman said it was one sided,the Archer/T'Pol crowd keep screaming that it was 2 sided ,where ? its not logical ,if Archer got his memory reseted every 6 hours he couldn't have his feellings develop for T'Pol ,yeah T'Pol may have fellings ,i understand that ,she spent 12 years with him in that house .

Yeah the episode was kinda forced in some ways ,see the argument Trip had with T'Pol ,it seemed out of carachter for him ,at least to me ,Sussman felt that is neceseary to make Trip and T'Pol mortal enemyes just so the audience can have a "romance" .T'Pol's reasons for becoming Archers nurse were also weak ,like suddenly she dedicates her life to Archer without further thought on the matter.
The scenes between Archer and T'Pol were touching ,but i didn't buy it as romance not even when i first watched the episode,great bond of friendship and loyalty yeah ,love no .
Among the things i liked about this ep was the imagery ,and special effects ,and the music was great .
The ending was kinda lame ,rushed ,Phlox shot and dies,T'Pol gets shot and dies,Archer apparantelly even at his age cand whitstand 3 shots and still manages to show the finger at the Xindi and starts to sing Ave Maria ,while at the same time blowing up the ship .
I enjoyed the episode ,but it was nothing special about it .
7 out of 10 .

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:03 pm

Regarding Magic Reset Button™ episodes, I've reached the point that I'm not even that fond of episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise and All Good Things.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:41 pm

[quote="justTrip'n"]I LOVED it, probably for all the reasons it's a fan favorite. I won't argue about it, but I will say I liked Trip as Captain. I also like to see episodes where the characters age. I found the whole thing shocking and terribly involving. I thought they created just the right atmosphere of a band of survivors desperately trying to hang on. I thought the crew seemed close. I loved the transtemporal infection in the Captain's brain. Cool plot device!quote]

I agree, and also with Shakabutt on imagery, effects and music.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:19 am

Hmmm - - - I say 3+. It wasn't as bad as *the_abomination* (what is?) or A Night in Sickbay (aka, Jr. Abomination), but it wasn't great. At least Picard remembered things in the end of All Good Things. This was nothing. Nada. Zilch. Add to that the Super!Archer and Weak!T'Pol... nope. Didn't like it all that much. The band of survivors thing I did like, except that in the end it was meaningless 'cause it never happened.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:36 am

I can't remember when I voted, but I think I gave it a 3 a while ago. The only thing I really enjoyed about it was the "50 first dates" idea (but not with the character's they used it on. Too bad T'Pol was nursing Archer and not Trip - or maybe Trip could've been nursing T'Pol...) and Trip as Captain. other than that, I had mixed feelings on the Voyager!Reset™ ending. It was cute when they reset Star Trek:TNG episodes, it got outright offensive when they did it on Voyager, and it was only mildly annoying in this instance just because even though by the time they wrote the episode they knew it annoyed the fans, it was acceptable because I hate to think that T'Pol really wasted ten years of her life being Archer's PCA.
Writing as TrekPyro.

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:14 pm

3x08 – “Twilight”
ENT’s “Year of Hell”

I really can’t figure out why this episode was so critically acclaimed, or so I’d heard it was at the time it originally aired. Is it because it showed a grim future for humanity and actually shoed Earth being destroyed? Why? Right off the bat we knew that it’d have to be one of the biggest reset episodes ever seen in Star Trek, being matched only by the VOY episode it rehashes – Year of Hell. So what’s so great about reset button episodes? Is it that we get to see everyone die and the main ship destroyed just so we can reset and see everyone and everything all safe and sound again at the end of the episode? It works sometimes, true enough, as with the case of TNG’s Yesterday’s Enterprise; for that matter even VOY’s Year of Hell was actually better in my opinion than what I saw here.

Of course Twilight got off on the wrong foot with me anyway, by starting in the middle of the episode yet again in the manner that really annoys me. Ooh, ah, Earth done got blowed up. Rolling Eyes It was a pretty good visual effect, but it also portends to the Super!Archer! theory in that only he can possibly save the universe, and if you’ve been reading all my reviews, by this point you know I’m not fan of that simply because it belittles the rest of the crew, and frankly, nothing I’ve seen about the man makes him all that great in my eyes, if anything the opposite.

This episode also didn’t bode well for me in that it once again made T’Pol weak and pretty emotional for that matter. Like when that support beam fell on T’Pol she screamed and writhed about uselessly, and yet somehow where her Vulcan discipline and superior strength failed, Archer was able to lift it off of her and get her to safety. This makes T’Pol feel indebted to Archer, who is now nothing more than a invalid thanks to some strange parasites that were conveniently cared on this anomaly and none of the others before or since, and to the delight of A/T’ers everywhere, she becomes the nursemaid to him. Evidently this led to her developing feelings for him, even though every few hours she has to deal with him forgetting everything and having to explain everything all over again. For that matter I guess it would take the patience of a Vulcan to put up with him. But of course this doesn’t even happen until after T’Pol has been given a field commission to Captain, though for whatever reason Starfleet never deemed it necessary to give her a field commission to Commander before this (or after it), and after she utterly fails at that post, because only Super!Archer! can competently command the ship, getting Earth destroyed in the process. Only after T’Pol has been made to fail so utterly does she feel this need to resign and become nursemaid to Captain Alzheimer and become “intimate” with him somehow despite him forgetting everything everyday.

At least Trip is made to be a somewhat competent commander, and to his credit Reed makes a decent first officer too (and I must say looks rather striking in a goatee Wink ). We also finally get some more …realistic casualties, but we all know it’s a reset anyway so that effect is lost.

As an aside, I must say that I laugh at Braga’s idea of “continuity porn” again, this time by the throwaway mention of the only surviving Earth convoy settling on Ceti Alpha V.

Anyway, fortunately Phlox has somehow gotten back to his homeworld and has come back, bearing the reset button…I mean cure for Archer’s parasites. Also fortunately, Trip still feels sorry enough for Captain Alzheimer to let Phlox turn engineering into an experiment laboratory. Also fortunately, T’Pol notices the magic discrepancy with the old scans of Archer’s brain that they somehow conclude means destroying all of them by any means will destroy them all the way back to Archer first getting them, changing time because it means Super!Archer! would be able to save the day. Even T’Pol, who has always been presented as being skeptical about time travel despite all the evidence she’s ever seen to the contrary, is in on this magic reset button cure. Of course it’s at this point that we find out that the Xindi are on their way and everyone is screwed, because naturally as this is a reset button, we have to see all the main characters die before it’s complete. Even T’Pol and Phlox aren’t spared, though they aren’t human; I’m halfway surprised Porthos didn’t live to be an old dog just so we could see him killed too. Rolling Eyes Actually, for that matter, why did the Xindi even bother to board the ship when they already had it more or less destroyed? All they’d had to do is give it one more good shot and they’ve have killed every single human on board, which seemed to be their goal. WTF Anyway, so it comes to pass that a throwaway line from Phlox actually turns out to be the magic reset button cure, and Archer is able to take multiple hits and set Enterprise’s warp core to self destruct just before he dies. So, basically Archer wakes up in sickbay again, none the worse for wear, and we’re right back to where the story “started”, or at least to where T’Pol started from when she brought Archer (and us) up to speed through all those flashbacks.

Anyway, I’m sure you can tell I’m not impressed with this episode; in fact, I think it’s horribly over-rated. I feel it is befitting no more than the goose egg I’m giving it; hey, maybe that will help lower the overall average out of all the reviews out there. Mr. Green

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:44 pm

It slurped.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:11 pm

An interesting juxtaposition of critical styles. Smile
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:23 am

evcake wrote:An interesting juxtaposition of critical styles. Smile

Laughing Good one!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”