The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: "Mirage" discussion thread

Postby Silverbullet » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Alelou, I have no doubt that there may have been a pilot who regreted the bomb. so many thousand people and most civilians. However. He had not been on the ground fighting the Japanese or had been one of the civilians in Japanese occupied countries. His outlook would have been quite different. He may not have even flown a Combat mission before. The closer to the grim fighting the more merciless one became.

He probably saw the Children and women being killed. but he should have been in Nanking and seen the children and women thre. thousands f women Raped and children bayonaneted. I do not doubt his sincereity. But at that time and place is was rare.

I still shudder to think how close the Germans and the Japanese came to the bomb. How the Norwegian underground sank a ferryboat loaded with innocent Norwegians to deny the Germans Heavy water and the Plant in Norway making that Heavey water destroyed. How a Japanese I boat (long range submarine) that was sank carrying samples of what was needed fto go into a bomb and the Papers of German Scientists. The Sub was sank and lies at the bottom of the Atlantic. Had it rached Japan it might have changed the war and our History. Believe me, Had the Japanese conquered the U.S. our lot would not have been nice.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:01 am

I know, I know.

As a navigator in the RAF my uncle helped discover a German ship that was a big deal in terms of intelligence. It was hiding in a Norwegian fjord. Unfortunately on a subsequent trip to Norway they ditched while trying to avoid a German plane that was after them and ended up as POWs. He made it all the way through the end of the war and then died a few days after liberation of malnutrition.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:35 am

A shame to have survived so long and then die when liberated. But his kind were part of the "Greatest Generation" which was not confined to the U.S.

michelle
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby michelle » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:39 pm

"Americans after 9/11 when looking at Muslims".

That's a bad analogy. Muslims are part of our western community, alot of people in the uk at least have friends and co workers that are muslim. We don't realy have the... luxury? That word is probably inappropriate, of developing a serious hatred for them country wide. They are part of our community and we have to get along even if at times things can seem tense because some violence has broken out, it's not the same as going to war with a group of people you don't associate with and don't understand anything about.

HUmans react with more venom when they don't have to look the 'enemy' in the face.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:02 pm

Michele, that doesn't apply to the man on the ground fighting the Enemy. The Marines in the South Pacific before the first Island Invasion (Guadalcanal) bought in to the sterotype of the Buck toothed Japanese wearing Coke Botttle bottom glassses. They distrusted the Japanese but did not Hate them. It was only aftter that battle and a couple other Island invasions that the Marines began to Hate the Japanese with a Venom. At first the Marines attempted to take Prisoners. But after a few times of a Japanese soldier seemingly surrending only to pull the pin of a hidden Grenade and Killing himself and a few Marines or two surrendering and one of them throwing a Grenade into the Marines trying to capture them. The Marines toppped trying to take Prisoners and just killed any Japanese they came aacross. This hate did not extend to Japanese Civilians though. Just to the Japanese soldier.

The same in Germany. American soldiers did not hate until they liberated a few Death Camps. then they hated. So your contention that they would hate more if they did not loook the enemy in the face is wrong.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu May 13, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi Escriba. May I ask, can we expect another chapter soon? Pretty please? No pressure.

:poke:
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu May 13, 2010 7:08 pm

To hell with that. PRESSURE. :evilmonkey: PRESSURE, Escriba!!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Thu May 13, 2010 11:12 pm

Alelou wrote:To hell with that. PRESSURE. :evilmonkey: PRESSURE, Escriba!!

I second that! :bow:

Must have... Mirage... Universe... continue... :faint:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri May 14, 2010 1:26 am

please i'm begging
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Dusalis Drake
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Dusalis Drake » Sat May 15, 2010 1:27 am

We Need Update!!!1

Escriba
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Escriba » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:28 pm

So I've updated at last. Admit it, after so much you expected a little more... like 10 new chapters or something :lol:

I feel sometimes that people would like something more epic, though. I mean, my approach is chapters with little glimpses to the heads of the characters, but if you pay attention you'll notice that the pace is very slow. Nothing hardly happens. They're in a war, but I didn't write anything about an actual battle. So, I don't know... Sometimes I have doubts :dunno:

On the other hand, nobody seems to catch the "4 Chekov's guns per episode" I'm leaving. Or if they do, they don't say anything :D I don't knoe exactly what to think about it. I guess is a good thing, it's more probable that I will surprise people.

"I mean... well, you know what people call men who wear wigs and gowns, don't you?"
"Yes, miss."
"You do?"
"Yes, miss. Lawyers, miss."

The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 04, 2011 8:38 pm

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: All I care about is that you don't go away again! And that you talk to us more.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”