What Would Trip's Reaction Be To "Test Tube" Contraception?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Which type of contraception would Trip prefer?

He's old-fashioned and would prefer a natural pregancy with assistance if needed.
27%
He'd make T'Pol's health the number one priority--artificial womb.
36%
I don't think it would really matter much to him either way--he'd leave that decision up to T'Pol.
36%

Total votes: 11

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: What Would Trip's Reaction Be To "Test Tube" Contraception?

Postby Distracted » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:19 pm

I can buy the bond changing brain chemistry. I can even believe it would change hormone secretion since the brain controls most endocrine functions. But DNA changes? Not so much.
Image sig by chrisis1033

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:43 pm

Wasn't it said that humans weren't just latent telepaths but were not telepathic at all? I would think that forming a telepathic bond with a non-telepath would involve more than altering brain chemistry but altering human brain cells to accept a sixth sense that humans are unequipped to access (or something changed, grown, etc. to receive the information). Now, if brain cells can be changed to add sensory perception, changing the structure of gametes doesn't seem so far-fetched. To me at least. But then again, this whole conversation is a stretch for me. When reading a story, I don't require so much detail. My imagination tends to fill in gaps.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:50 pm

crystalswolf wrote:Wasn't it said that humans weren't just latent telepaths but were not telepathic at all? I would think that forming a telepathic bond with a non-telepath would involve more than altering brain chemistry but altering human brain cells to accept a sixth sense that humans are unequipped to access (or something changed, grown, etc. to receive the information). Now, if brain cells can be changed to add sensory perception, changing the structure of gametes doesn't seem so far-fetched. To me at least. But then again, this whole conversation is a stretch for me. When reading a story, I don't require so much detail. My imagination tends to fill in gaps.

That was never clear as Hoshi was at the very least a latent telepath or that being exiled on that planet wouldn't have been able to contact her. When was it ever stated that they weren't telepaths. I would think it would be more a case of us not of humans not using that part of their brains so it's dormant.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:16 am

I could have sworn it was mentioned during one of the "Archer romps through Vulcan culture" eps. When I have the time later tonight I'll do a search. Could be my wonky memory.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:59 am

TOS had a human telepath in it. I think the ep was called "The Eye of the Beholder" or something.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:08 am

That was "Is There In Truth No Beauty?"
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:23 am

I haven't watched it in years but wasn't telepathic humans the basis for the premiere of TOS 'Where No Man has Gone Before'? And I believe I've read several times that telepathy was infrequent amongst humans but it did occur.
Always Follow Your Heart

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:39 am

pdsldl wrote:I haven't watched it in years but wasn't telepathic humans the basis for the premiere of TOS 'Where No Man has Gone Before'? And I believe I've read several times that telepathy was infrequent amongst humans but it did occur.

I know that Gary Mitchell and Dr. Dehnar became telepathic...but I can't remember what Dehnar said about that. I seem to remember something about some humans having latent abilities, but whether she was for or against that, it's been too long ago to tell.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:50 am

Okay, it was wonky memory but... it was specifically stated that Trip wasn't.
(Aenar)
TUCKER: I want to be the first one to try it out.
T'POL: You're not telepathic. It wouldn't be a true measure of the unit's effectiveness.

Although while searching, I was amused by the fact that an argument of what is scientifically sound allows for the full acceptance of telepathy.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:55 am

Playing devil's advocate here...it could be argued that T'Pol told him that in order to protect him. It was dangerous, after all. She was better equipped to handle it, but she was also in danger, which was Trip's point of contention over letting her do it. It could be argued that it was her way of making sure she won the argument.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:02 am

Aquarius is right she may have been protecting him and besides being Vulcan her mind would be more accustomed to the stress that would be placed on it. And while I'm not saying telepathy is possible it has never never been proven one way or another. Brains operate on electrical impulses and projecting them to be interpreted by another brain doesn't seem that unreal. We just haven't needed this ability for survival or haven't figured out how to do it.
Always Follow Your Heart

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:35 am

But there have been a lot of "Mind Readers" who have made good Money bilking the gullible. some have even had TV shows. I suppose "Mind reading" would be a form of Telepathy.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:02 am

The same argument could be made with any statement in the show to question canon. But I would have to say after the writings of Surak, T'Pol's less likely to lie ("Syrrennites do not lie").

Either way, the idea of telepathy cannot be proven (either way) but the extent of how far a brain can manipulate parts of the body cannot be proven either way (although we do know that). If you want absolute science, proof is required and both do not qualify. If you want science according to your standard, that is a completely different story.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:09 am

Sci-fi has always given us things that don't exist in the real world but have materialized in the future so I guess they met my standard of being plausible. They can stretch reality but not break it. Telepathy etc... hasn't scientifically been shown to not be possible so until then I can go with the idea that it might be possible.

Mind readers read people's body language, involuntary responses etc. They don't read minds.
Always Follow Your Heart

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:45 am

crystalswolf wrote:The same argument could be made with any statement in the show to question canon. But I would have to say after the writings of Surak, T'Pol's less likely to lie ("Syrrennites do not lie").

Spock did not lie...yet he knew the value of "exaggeration." And T'Pol is also like Spock in that she's closer to humans than most of her people, so her logic and actions could tend to be questionable and uncertain when it comes to those she cares most about. After Trellium, love, and everything else, she may conclude that Trip's safety trumps "the truth."

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”