Reactions to a TnT pregnancy (re: Lorian? Other kids?)

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Re: Reactions to a TnT pregnancy (re: Lorian? Other kids?)

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:50 am

I see the crew behaving much the same way as they would with the outing of their relationship. If something were to happen where many found out at once, I see their reactions like the office co-workers in "The Proposal". Women clutching at those imaginary pearls with big fat tears in their eyes while the men nod with their very masculine approval. Actually, the two main characters remind me of TnT.

If it was a secret that leaked, I could see people (especially Reed) making little comments while snickering just to let the two know that they know and have some fun at the same time. "Do Vulcans knit booties?" "How do you say 'pickles and ice-cream' in Vulcan?"

Transwarp
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Transwarp » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:47 am

As I see it, other peoples' reaction to a pregnancy would depend on the state of Trip and T'Pol's relationship. If the relationship is a closely-held secret, then a pregnancy is a double-whammy; revealing the relationship AND the pregnancy at the same time. In that case, I think the reaction to the relationship drives the reaction to the pregnancy. If they approve of the relationship, they would be likely to approve of the pregnancy. If they disapprove of the relationship, they will probably not be too happy about a pregnancy.

On the other hand, if the relationship is out in the open, I believe most people would be happy for them in the event of a pregnancy. (Even Archer.)

I do not see a pregnancy between Trip and T'Pol happening accidentally. Any child conceived between members of two different species would require extensive medical intervention. Think chimps and baboons; it just isn't going to happen. (There was another recent thread about that topic.) If the story absolutely requires natural conception between species, then realize that this severely strains believability on the part of the reader, so try to find some way to anticipate and disarm these objections within the body of the story. (Good luck with that!) But even in this case, I can't see Trip and T'Pol allowing an unplanned child: If natural conception is possible, they will know it and take precautions. If natural conception is not possible, they will not need precautions. If natural conception is possible, but they don't realize it, then the story's credibility with the reader is at risk.

Also, any pregnancy aboard the ship would be frowned upon, regardless of the state of TnT's relationship. Enterprise is a warship, and a warship is no place for a child. T'Pol would certainly be transfered to a shore billet at the earliest opportunity.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:53 am

There are many fun stories about this "peculiar" issue. 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:57 pm

I concur Transwarp.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Hmm.. off topic for one second. If they do not know they can conceive, then they do not need contraceptives because they shouldn't be able to? I would think it would be the leading cause of an oopsie. How could they be expected to know definitively what Phlox had trouble with from beginning to end?

Back on topic. I think the crew knows about their relationship from the rumors Reed voiced to Hoshi's mindmeld side-effects. That ship has sailed but a public display would cause shocked reactions. I think a pregnancy would happen much the same way. They would just continue business as usual, allowing the two to continue to think they have everyone fooled... for a time. But if it was outed publicly, their reactions to the shock would be more dramatic.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:13 pm

If T-Pol become Pregnant they might keep it secret for some months but eventually she would start to show. Then they would be in the soup for fair. They had kept it secret from Archer and I am fairly sure he would not like that one bit.

They would have to let Archer know right aaway as soon as Phlox confirmed it. He would feel obligated to inform Starfleet. Even if the crew knew of their relationship and aproved the fact of the pregnancy would have to be handled discreetly until Starfleet got thier Ducks in a row. Trip and T-Pol would have to be transferred off the Enterprise probably to San Francisco Starfleet hedquarters. There perhaps T-Pol could go on extended Leave until the Baby was born. Where to? Vulcan? the Tuckers? Starfleet would probably want her away from Earth so it woud be Vulcan. Poor Trip, would be be on hand for the birth of his child?
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:55 pm

If T'Pol got pregnant Trip would never leave her side unless lives depended on it. Obviously they're off the ship. But basically its like Transwarp said, if they're happy about the baby and together, then they'll have support. Even Archer's after he has a long brooding sesson.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:10 pm

Trip would not necessarily be at her side. Just following the news stories, many time ssoldiers return home and the wife comes and brings a baby they are meeting for the first time.

I will add that one of the current contestants on American idol (singing competition) came to the auditions while his wife was having a baby. They recorded him getting the phone call that the baby had been born while he was auditioning.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:23 pm

Also people are self-interested, so there would be some jelousy from the rest of the crew if Trip and T'Pol were treated as a special case, exempt from the usual rules, for instance if the pregnancy were accomodated because they both have such important jobs. They have the special excuse, "we didn't know it could happen," but I don't think that will fly with regular Jo(Joe) crewman who knows to use birth control or suffer the consequences.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm

I agree with Transwarp. A natural pregnancy seems impossible to believe and T'Pol wouldn't be allowed to remain aboard. But if she's sent to Earth what happens with the bond? Trip couldn't stay away on Columbia how could he remain on Enterprise without her and after all they've gone through and his losing his sister and her with no family would he really want to? I think for the most part the crew would be happy if they are happy about it unless circumstances made things difficult for TnT and/or the crew because of repercussions from Starfleet etc...
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:45 pm

About the natural pregnancy... Fundamentally I agree with Transwarp and pdsldl, but... but...
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:43 pm

People are self centered yes, and its geting creepy. However unless Trip is fighting a war. I can't see him willingly parted from a pregnant T'Pol. Trip is the complete opposite of self centered that was the main thing he was consistent about throughout the series. But I agree, that TnT shouldn't get special dispensation, it's not fair. And at this point in ST history no families on ships. Sorry Travis.

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:42 am

Don't think that T-Pol woulld get special treatment. she would be removed from Enterprise and I suppose shoved out of sight to hide what would be an embarassment for Starfleet and Archer. A female crewman getting Pregnant by a fellow Officer.

True, in today's modern Navy women are serving on air Craft Carriers and I understand there have been a number of Pregnancies already. So,it could be.

After all, if Enterprise is out exploring for months and months at a time the might be alittle Hanky Panky going on. Not just with Trip and T-Pol. I imagine Phlox would be kept busy dispensing birth Control Shots to both the males and females.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:52 am

Well fraternization rules are very different in the ST universe. Even Captains can sleep with crew. They just usually don't unless a catastrophe is involved but there are no hard rules. People can technically sleep with whoever. It's a bit of a taboo in the ENT era but nobody is getting courtmarshaled. I doubt T'Pol would be hid.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:58 am

Since there's no reason for a pregnancy to happen without serious medical and genetic intervention, I cannot see TnT having a baby while still serving aboard the Enterprise or any other vessel for that matter. They'd have to be dirtside somewhere, maybe in teaching and/or research assignments. Trip could a developmental engineer and T'Pol a professor or something. But it would effectively be a post-ENT story, probably also a post-Romulan War story.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”