For fans of Pocket's Enterprise Relaunch/Rom War books...

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

aadarshinah
Captain
Captain

Re: For fans of Pocket's Enterprise Relaunch/Rom War books...

Postby aadarshinah » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:46 pm

I never intended to sound sneering, just... What is the major market of any effort to correct the henious horrors of *the_abomination*? TnT shippers. Ergo, any novel in said relaunch should include said ship, to some degree. From a marketing standpoint, to do anything other would be suicide.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:02 pm

They didn't know the relaunch series would be successful enough to continue after TGTMD, so they wrote it as a bittersweet resolution to the TnT ship since the book would end with Trip still in Romulan space - but they deliberately left it open ended in case there were future books. It was in the process of breaking down the story arc for the next two books that they felt they could give TnT a happily ever after even if they were going to be far apart- they knew the fans wanted it - and they went for it. They just wanted to do it in a way that served the story. Obviously, TnT are a subplot in the books - but they are there. Clark said that when she watched *the_abomination* as a fan, she was furious at how the breakup was handled and jumped at the chance to correct it.

Although I loved the reunion in KM, it was a bit on the contrived side. It was as though Martin & Mangels were shoehorning TnT sex into the novel (again NOT complaining) but in the RW - their plotline was far better woven into the overall story.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

EntAllat
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Google Talk: EntAllat

Postby EntAllat » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:15 am

honeybee wrote:They didn't know the relaunch series would be successful enough to continue after TGTMD, so they wrote it as a bittersweet resolution to the TnT ship since the book would end with Trip still in Romulan space - but they deliberately left it open ended in case there were future books. It was in the process of breaking down the story arc for the next two books that they felt they could give TnT a happily ever after even if they were going to be far apart- they knew the fans wanted it - and they went for it. They just wanted to do it in a way that served the story. Obviously, TnT are a subplot in the books - but they are there. Clark said that when she watched *the_abomination* as a fan, she was furious at how the breakup was handled and jumped at the chance to correct it.

I did not know this. (I knew Clark fought to allow a re-launch to fix *the_abomination* but not that M&M had made a deliberate effort to write in a happy ending for TnT.) This is awesome! Thanks for sharing it.

One of these days I'd like to go to a con and listen to those three talk a bit (and get my books autographed).

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:56 am

Everything I know comes from second hand con reports and various interviews - so it's probably true enough. But apparently, all three of them are pretty nice - even better, their collective hatred of *the_abomination* rivals anything on this site. Apparently - and they have lots to say about how bad it was - they do credit that mess that it was for inspiring people to support the relaunch.

Again, books aren't perfect, but I do think that there was a genuine desire to do right there.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:15 am

In terms of "not perfect," I think it's just a case of no matter what they do, someone's always going to be unhappy. Sure, as TnT shippers we might want to see our pair front and center in every story, but there are people who like the show for other reasons and, though it's hard for most people who frequent *this* site to fathom, they might like other characters and aspects of the show, and therefore be kind of bored if there's "too much TnT".

And, it could be worse: for the longest time the Star Wars profic was a hot mess-minus the "hot"!! :bitch:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:25 am

Beneath the Raptor's Wing was clearly trying to court trekkies who maybe aren't fans of ENT - but have wondered what the Romulan War would be like - and so it was very wide in scope. I felt that short changed our main crew - but I did see what Martin was trying to do. He wanted to evoke how epic the war was - and in that he succeeded.

And the references to all the other series-es made me dizzy - in a good way. :lol:

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:26 am

Aquarius wrote:And, it could be worse: for the longest time the Star Wars profic was a hot mess-minus the "hot"!! :bitch:

When exactly did it get better? They pretty much lost me when they killed my Mara in a stupidly contrived and wildly OOC manner ... hmmm ... that sounds vaguely familiar for some reason...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:02 am

Rigil Kent wrote:
Aquarius wrote:And, it could be worse: for the longest time the Star Wars profic was a hot mess-minus the "hot"!! :bitch:

When exactly did it get better? They pretty much lost me when they killed my Mara in a stupidly contrived and wildly OOC manner ... hmmm ... that sounds vaguely familiar for some reason...

We'll probably disagree here, because Mara is one of the things "wrong" I found with the profic.

I don't want to get into a big off-topic thing here. But as a fan of both franchises, all I can say is that "Courtship of Princess Leia" and that whole Black Fleet Crisis travesty is far, far worse than anything ST profic can throw at me...and in SW, Troy Denning is the only author who's worth a damn, IMHO as a H/L shipper.

So comparatively, we TnT shippers have it pretty good with the profic that's offered to us.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”