The Theory Behind A Human/Vulcan Child

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Do you agree with the conclusions presented in this post?

Woah! It suddenly makes sense!
44%
It's not overly impressive, but it fits I guess.
11%
It's good in theory, but...
33%
You're waaay off base, dudette!
11%

Total votes: 9

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

The Theory Behind A Human/Vulcan Child

Postby ginamr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:20 am

Just for the interest of the topic and considering Aquarius's challenge to me, I present the theoretical basis for T'Pol's conception of a Human/Vulcan child and continued development of said child. These conclusions are based on what I know of Human genetics, physiology and biology; some non-canon Vulcan biology and physiology; and some common sense based on these two species' reproduction capabilities.

1. Copper-based life forms have a harder time absorbing protein into their systems, thus it isn't essential to their diet and can actually make them seriously ill.

2. A Human/Vulcan hybrid would require a special diet. It would need more copper than the average Human, but also more protein than the average Vulcan.

3. A hybrid would require more protein than T'Pol is used to, thus she could become seriously ill and such a pregnancy could be risky. She'd need specialized medications to help her body absorb the protein as well as medications to keep the proteins from affecting her body's functioning.

4. A hybrid fetus would require constant monitoring and consistent environmental conditions to avoid developmental deformities, particularly of the brain, heart, and lungs as the Vulcan heart and lungs are larger than those of a Human. These deformities would be characterized by lack of oxygen or even inability to handle an abrupt increase in oxygen concentration. This would be especially important during the first 32 weeks of development as the sudden change early on would put stress on the fetus and may result in a miscarriage.

At 8 months, the fetus could slowly go from one environment to another given that at this point the heart and lungs are developed enough to function independent of the environment inside the mother's womb (premature Human babies of 29 weeks have a greater chance of survival outside the womb than those younger as their lungs haven't developed yet). At 9 months, the fetus would have an even greater chance of surviving the abrupt change.

:?: :vulcan: If anyone doesn't agree with my conclusions, feel free to challenge them! I thrive on factual accurary in my stories and love outside input, especially by professionals.
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

Distracted
Site Donor

Re: The Theory Behind A Human/Vulcan Child

Postby Distracted » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:50 pm

ginamr wrote:Just for the interest of the topic and considering Aquarius's challenge to me, I present the theoretical basis for T'Pol's conception of a Human/Vulcan child and continued development of said child. These conclusions are based on what I know of Human genetics, physiology and biology; some non-canon Vulcan biology and physiology; and some common sense based on these two species' reproduction capabilities.

1. Copper-based life forms have a harder time absorbing protein into their systems, thus it isn't essential to their diet and can actually make them seriously ill.

I disagree with this one. Vulcans are vegetarian by choice. They weren't vegetarian before Surak. This is canon. Members of the V'Tosh Katur can eat meat and not get sick. If anything, Vulcans would likely need more protein while living on their homeworld and in heavier gravity which would work their muscles more and require more muscle repair. Vegetarian Vulcans would do what vegans do for protein: eat nuts and grains and beans.

Oh, and by extension I guess I disagree with this one, too, although I guess eating meat protein might make T'Pol throw up too much because it disgusts her, thus threatening her health.
3. A hybrid would require more protein than T'Pol is used to, thus she could become seriously ill and such a pregnancy could be risky. She'd need specialized medications to help her body absorb the protein as well as medications to keep the proteins from affecting her body's functioning.

It's hard to get enough protein from solely vegetable sources in pregnancy. Maybe Phlox tells her she's got to eat meat and/or dairy and the taste makes her sick? There are human women who have such severe vomiting in pregnancy that it threatens their health. It's called Hyperemesis Gravidarium.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:21 pm

I would like to add my voice to Distracted's opinions.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:50 pm

I'm not a doctor, but when I lived in Ann Arbor the area was population-dense with hippies and New Agers who often experimented with vegetarianism, and I've often heard from people who've gone back to eating meat afterward it often makes them sick at first. Can't remember the explanation exactly, I think it had something to do with meat being harder to digest so when you quit eating it your body quits making certain enzymes responsible for breaking it down or something. Not sure--I'll more than likely need to be corrected on that. But what I'm trying to get at, assuming there's any medical validity to something like that, if T'Pol suddenly had to start eating meat in order to support her baby's healthy development, then wouldn't *that* be more likely to make her sick than just disgust for what she's now being asked to eat?
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

ginamr
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby ginamr » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:16 pm

Good points, all. I pulled that theory from some reading that I did...can't remember exactly where.
New:
Coming Home: Five+Epilogue
6.06: Fall Out

Under Construction:
The Prank War 2
Secret Meetings, Story Two--Wet
6.07: Vestiges of Qualor
Coming This Christmas (December 2012): White Christmas
Hybrid: Prologue & Chapter One--Inspired by Aquarius's "Tag" challenge.

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:45 pm

I just, I do mean just, like 45 minutes ago, finished a book written by Dr. Collins, head of the Human Genome Project, and if I digested any part of that book correctly, I think it would be impossible for Humans and Vulcans to reproduce at all UNLESS there was a common ancestor somewhere in the past. Of course, waaaaaaaaaaaaay in the past. Like millions and millions of years. Call it whatever you want, a Creator, Aliens who "seeded" advanced humanoid lifeforms, or whatever, but THAT makes sense to me. There has to be a common ancestor.

In the Star Trek Universe most aliens are Humanoid and resemble Humans too much think that that shape just spontaneouusly just popped up out of no where. Heck, even Xindi "Reptilians" and "Insectoids" look more humanoid than not. If life were to evolve individually on each planet according to that planet's "rules" than anything could go. Intelligent beings like the Xindi "Aquatics" could be the dominant species to evolve. I could see that, but I can't reconcile how humanoids could be all over the place unless they share some DNA.

(I understand that they are all Human actors and all that, and it would be too weird and very boring if every alien out there looked like the thing in Vox Sola.)

I could see there being some way for Humans and Vulcans to reproduce, but I believe the pregnancy would be risky to both mother and child due to the mother's and fetuses having such different blood types - I can't remember what it's called, something about pregnancy complications due to Rh Factor, one being negative while the other positive, the mother needs to be treated so her body doesn't reject the child, I think. Can't imagine how a mother with green copper-based blood would be able to carry a child with red iron-based blood, or vice-versa. Spock had green blood, though, and Amanda was the Human carrying him. :dunno:

All my conjecture doesn't take into account 150+ years of medical advances in the future and Phlox's vast expereince, hoewver. Also by then I would think that the entire Human Genome would be mapped out, as well as the Vulcan Genome would have been. Combining DNA in ways that the child would be spared from any serious complications should be possible. I don't see it happening spontaneously though. I think Trip & T'Pol would need a lot of help to conceive and deliver a healthy baby, & T"Pol would have to be very closely monitored and treated to carry to term.

In Gene Rodenberry's book, The Making of Trek, there's a piece on human-Vulcan reproduction, and it does state that it required a lot of medical intervention.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:54 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:I just, I do mean just, like 45 minutes ago, finished a book written by Dr. Collins, head of the Human Genome Project, and if I digested any part of that book correctly, I think it would be impossible for Humans and Vulcans to reproduce at all UNLESS there was a common ancestor somewhere in the past. Of course, waaaaaaaaaaaaay in the past. Like millions and millions of years. Call it whatever you want, a Creator, Aliens who "seeded" advanced humanoid lifeforms, or whatever, but THAT makes sense to me. There has to be a common ancestor.

See the TNG episode The Chase.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:06 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Aikiweezie wrote:I just, I do mean just, like 45 minutes ago, finished a book written by Dr. Collins, head of the Human Genome Project, and if I digested any part of that book correctly, I think it would be impossible for Humans and Vulcans to reproduce at all UNLESS there was a common ancestor somewhere in the past. Of course, waaaaaaaaaaaaay in the past. Like millions and millions of years. Call it whatever you want, a Creator, Aliens who "seeded" advanced humanoid lifeforms, or whatever, but THAT makes sense to me. There has to be a common ancestor.

See the TNG episode The Chase.

Told Ya! :vulcan:

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:25 am

Aikiweezie wrote:In Gene Rodenberry's book, The Making of Trek, there's a piece on human-Vulcan reproduction, and it does state that it required a lot of medical intervention.

Thanks so much. I'll check this out!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:31 am

Believe it or not, there was actually an LP record released (for you youngsters, that's those black vinyl things that came before CDs ;-) :lol: ) in the late 60s or early 70s, in which Gene Roddenberry himself "interviews" Mark Lenard in his character of Sarek, in which they speak extensively about Spock's conception. It was actually kind of gross when you think about it...supposedly Spock had to be removed and placed back into Amanda several times for whatever gene manipulation was required.

Now, though it never appeared on screen, one could suppose it's canon since it came from The Creator himself...but honestly, I wouldn't mind if authors dealing with human/Vulcan pregnancy skipped over that bit of it. 8) Needless to say, the interview probably woudn't have gone down like that had technology been imagined based on what we have today vs. what we had in the 60s.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:41 am

Speaking of which, I see GE advertising a handheld imaging device during the Sunday morning news shows and it looks like we're finally heading into the world of Trek-like hand scanners. So cool.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:55 am

Alelou wrote:Speaking of which, I see GE advertising a handheld imaging device during the Sunday morning news shows and it looks like we're finally heading into the world of Trek-like hand scanners. So cool.

I saw that commercial too! Turned to Hubby and said, "Ah, the influences of Star Trek continue. Yeah, buddy!"

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:55 am

Alelou wrote:Speaking of which, I see GE advertising a handheld imaging device during the Sunday morning news shows and it looks like we're finally heading into the world of Trek-like hand scanners. So cool.

On "The Doctors" yesterday they had actual hypospray devices. Can't wait for that!

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:24 am

Awesome. I hope it's more like an actual hypospray and not like those airguns they tried to pass off as hypospray-like!

Pegmumm
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Pegmumm » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:09 pm

Personally... for me it's not combining the DNA that was the issue... due to the hominid commonality pointed out in that TNG episode... its the nature of the pregnancy and the compatibility of host and fetus.

It was solved for me in Similitude.
Carrying a pregnancy to term would depend on the sentimentality of the parents.
If bearing a fetus to term would endanger it's and the mother's lives... why put someone through that when it's safer and a live infant is guaranteed.

peg

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”