The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: The Media

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:16 pm

Silverbullet wrote:Come on KTR, using a reporters cover for a government agent happens often.

<snip>

Well, it kinda depends on who you're spying against. Against a foreign power would be considered more legitimate than domestic spying. Also if you're reporting on your own government's activities.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Subtle, maybe a little too much, but true.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:28 am

Wow, a lot's happened while I was off studying today.

Just a few reactions as I was getting caught up:

1. Do we know that Vulcan doesn't have a media presence? It seems they've gotta get their information somehow. I mean, it'd be bland compared to Earth's, but you'd think their citizens would be staying on top of current events somehow.

2. Yes, TnT would be relatively insulated from media sensationalism on the Enterprise, but it's unlikely they would spend their entire lives there, especially if they get the "happily ever after" they've earned. At some point they're gonna end up dirtside.

3. Gloom and doom? I don't know about that. Things change, which means there's hope for a brighter future. People, on the other hand, don't change--or I should say. human nature doesn't. So while we may reign in how we behave, we will always still be curious about how other people live, what they have that we don't, the juicy details.

4. Terra Prime--well, all I can say is that in a climate of fear--post-Xindi attack--even reasonably bright people will react out of that fear, be confused and mistrustful. The climate on Earth is ripe for something like that.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:27 am

Aquarius wrote:1. Do we know that Vulcan doesn't have a media presence? It seems they've gotta get their information somehow. I mean, it'd be bland compared to Earth's, but you'd think their citizens would be staying on top of current events somehow.

I'd love to "see" a Vulcan newscast. It would probably make NPR look like TMZ or "E" News. :vulcan:

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Mar 15, 2010 2:29 am

KTR, reporting on your own governments activities is legitimate reporting news to the Public. Governments always try to inhibit Reporters and news agencies from finding out some things that would embarass an Administration or even bring it down. Same with the Military.

I am talkig about Reporters cover to hide an Agent of an Intelligence Agency. As I said the old Soviet Regime had a history of planting KGB types in the Soviet News Agency. For two reason: To keep an eye on the legitimate reporters and so the KGB agents could recrit people in other countries to work for the KGB. In addition to spying.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:00 am

Silverbullet wrote:KTR, reporting on your own governments activities is legitimate reporting news to the Public. Governments always try to inhibit Reporters and news agencies from finding out some things that would embarass an Administration or even bring it down. Same with the Military.

Um, I work as an editor on a newspaper, you know.

But you're sort of making my point. Where does Gannet Brooks loyalties lie? With Starfleet Intel or with whatever new agency she works for?
I am talkig about Reporters cover to hide an Agent of an Intelligence Agency. As I said the old Soviet Regime had a history of planting KGB types in the Soviet News Agency. For two reason: To keep an eye on the legitimate reporters and so the KGB agents could recrit people in other countries to work for the KGB. In addition to spying.

Yes, but are you comparing "reporters" from a Communist dictatorship with reporters from an open democracy? Those Soviet "reporters" were reporters in name only. So what is Gannet Brooks?
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:48 am

A couple of new ideas:
- first: in the last 50 years the media not only changed in a negative way, but also positive way. There is more freedom of speech then there was in the 50-ties and yes, that also means more room for stupid things to be expressed. It's all in the game.
- second: what about the influence of internet? The voice of the people in all that forums and news pages? I always thought that in the TNG area you would have the Starfleet database as the official internet and an underground internet for "normal" people. You can see I am not a big fan of the TNG thought that everything in controlled by Starfleet.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:04 pm

Gannets loyalty would be to Starfleet because she would be working for a Starfleet Intelligence agency. I always wondered if she was in Section 31.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:03 pm

Aikiweezie wrote:
I'd love to "see" a Vulcan newscast. It would probably make NPR look like TMZ or "E" News. :vulcan:

I'm in the library since our power is still out and this one made me giggle so much other people turned to look at me...!
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:59 am

Well I've always thought that with the fact that Earth becomes united under one government, the way news is handled changes as well. One of ST's defining characteristics is the seeming lack of competativeness stemming from a purely commercial culture. It seems that in the ST universe on humanity's part greed for wealth is way down. I think that also would change things. Frankly I think the journalism would go back to the days of Walter Cronkite (for give me for misspelling) and that would be a good thing in my opinion. Would the tabloid and Paparazzi culture exist? I hope not. However I can see powerful news organizations opposing TnT but not in the way of the sesnationalists of today.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”