Would TnT have kept their relationship to themselves?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Would TnT have kept their relationship to themselves?

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:57 pm

I'm just thinking of all the "events" that have happened in the ST universe that for all intents and purposes were never on the "news" the very few times that the media has been portrayed in ST the "gossip" aspect was extremely subdued compared to our media culture today, and the stories seemed much much more controlled. I admit I find it implausible for real life. However it fits in the ST universe.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:01 pm

WarpGirl wrote:... However it fits in the ST universe.

I don't think so.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Oh? Why? I don't remember the type of journalism we have today in ST. Am I missing something? If someone has proof I don't know about I want to know.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:15 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I'm just thinking of all the "events" that have happened in the ST universe that for all intents and purposes were never on the "news" the very few times that the media has been portrayed in ST the "gossip" aspect was extremely subdued compared to our media culture today, and the stories seemed much much more controlled. I admit I find it implausible for real life. However it fits in the ST universe.

It wouldn't have to be sensationalized to be a topic on the news. It was relevant to people's lives and would have been reported on. And I still think Paxton's broadcast and other vents would have made it a hot story. But I'm not arguing the point anymore. We're just going in circles.

No proof but what's the use of having press if they aren't going to report what's relevant to the public. And I can't believe things got to a point that the government could keep something that big quiet. And if they could I'd think a lot less of the ST universe.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:16 pm

I would say that proximity is a major issue here. Starfleet could control the media for events happening in the other shows because the events took place somewhere in space. Demons and Terra Prime happened on or near Earth. It would be impossible to keep a lid on an event that is televised to the people of Earth. People would have seen the beam in San Francisco Bay. I would imagine that people would want to know all they could about the baby and her origin. The more Starfleet stonewalled, the more curious people would become.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:20 pm

I'm not trying to argue, just wanted to know if I missed something important. It is possible I missed something very important. If I haven't then I haven't. I just wanted to know definitively because I'd sound like a complete moron if I didn't have all of the information. Whether anyone agrees with me or not is completely irrelevent. I just need to know if I have the complete picture.

Fics

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:50 pm

We very rarely get a glimpse of how society in the Trekverse works, whether it's in the ENT era or the TNG era, since we're mostly aboard spaceships or otherwise out there somewhere. So there's no right or wrong view, only what we interpret from various sources, including our own preconceptions about the Trekverse. So we cannot really tell exactly how the media works.

But postulating that for whatever reason the lid will be firmly kept on reporting about TnT after the whole Terra Prime affair suggests, at least to me, that EarthGov would have to practice of form of censorship and not be considered what we know as a proper democracy and a free society. Or at least that the media would practice self-censorship by being afraid of government pressure.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:54 pm

KTR Are you reading my mind again? That was almost exactly what I was trying to say. Especially about the self-sensorship. You're awesome totally awesome!

Fics

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:55 pm

Paxton, when talking to Trip and T-Pol kept referring t Elizabeth as "Your Daughter" He emhasized that point over and over. T-Pol accepted it when she tried to bond with elizabeth "Hello, I am your Mother" Later on Enterprise Phlox and Archer acknowledged that elizabeth was Trip and T-Pol's Daughter. Certainly Paxton would have referred to Elizabeth as Trip and T-Pol's Daughter to others and one of them or more would have spread that around. It would have found it's way in to the Press of the Day. First Vulcan/Human child. BIG NEWS. Word of mouth would have spread it and juiced it up a bit as time went on. Starfleet would have to be putting out fires all over the place It should come out with an official version as soon as it could.

Tell the Public that Elizabeth was Trip and T-Pol's child only because their DNA was used to create a Clone. That elizabeth ws a cloned Human baby. That may have lessened the impact of her existence.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:00 am

But her ears were Vulcan.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:06 am

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:We very rarely get a glimpse of how society in the Trekverse works, whether it's in the ENT era or the TNG era, since we're mostly aboard spaceships or otherwise out there somewhere. So there's no right or wrong view, only what we interpret from various sources, including our own preconceptions about the Trekverse. So we cannot really tell exactly how the media works.

But postulating that for whatever reason the lid will be firmly kept on reporting about TnT after the whole Terra Prime affair suggests, at least to me, that EarthGov would have to practice of form of censorship and not be considered what we know as a proper democracy and a free society. Or at least that the media would practice self-censorship by being afraid of government pressure.

This is a supposition, based on the idea that Humans can be different from what they are. ST or not ST, if we have to think logically, the most logical thing is to think like Humans think.
What do you think I thought? :? :vulcan:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:12 am

There is no collective way "humans think" too many variables how many different societies have been powerful on the earth throughout history. It's entirely possible that 150 years from now a new and different society of humanity would evolve while still "thinking" like humans. Values change even with the same fundemental needs of a society. And with the entirely different structure of human society in the ST universe it is entirely possible to have a different set of values and priorites while still being fundementally human.

Fics

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:27 am

Lots of millennia of human story deny that.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:33 am

Zane Gray wrote:...Dr. Soong knew they were in love before he ever met them. He teased them directly and he specifically mentioned that the crew was being covered in the media (Malcolm wasn't getting his share of coverage).

I think this and the way Gannet was portrayed (and reacted to) are strong textual clues that the makers of Enterprise did not imagine a future in which the news media studiously ignores stories about incredibly photogenic Starfleet personnel who might have made history by shagging each other.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:36 am

The first human empire went from God-kings and now the most powerful system is a republic founded on democratic principles the two systems are diametrically opposed to each other. Yet we all are still humans with the same needs. So I think that human history proves my point. Whoes to say 154 years from now the system evolves into something different again.

Well I admit that is a valid point, however Soonge was a genius and a crafty son-of-a-gun. He could get any information he wanted, without using mainstream news. Same with Paxton. And I don't take Gannet as a true reporter.

Fics

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”