Body and Katra thread

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: Body and Katra thrrad

Postby honeybee » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:58 pm

I just want to say that I fully support writers taking chances and doing potentially controversial things in their fics! I say, go - ahead and do it! What a boring world it would be if the most easily offended of us got to dictate the content of everything.

But on the other hand, this is a pretty egalitarian fandom and people should have a right to know what they may be getting into. Label, warn and go do your thing.

I always welcome constructive criticism of my stories - as long as it is done with respect. I've certainly written stories that offended people (see Dusk, A Mirror Cracked) - and while I'm never offended by negativity - I will take frustrated issue if someone is offended by say, angst, when the story is labeled angst. Or if they take issue with the show sticking to canon, when it's labeled a canon fic because I can't answer for the writers and it is a valid choice to try and stick with canon. I also get frustrated if someone simply misunderstands the writing (which is something that can easily be my fault but can also be the fault of a non-careful reader).

On the other hand, if I put characters in difficult situations and readers say they wouldn't have reacted the same way - I take that as pure flattery since I meant it to be a difficult, non black & white choice.

Anyway, just wanted to speak up for freedom and taking chances. If I don't like a story, I will offer up criticism or stay silent - but I always respect the effort.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:31 am

Because of some of the commentary I've received on my prologue, I feel compelled to clarify:

1. This is not a TnA fic. If there's any doubt who I'm shipping for, please look left.

<-----------------------------------------

2. The material in question is not presented for titillation purposes. It is, however, characteristically, canonically, and psychologically valid. And I stand by that.

3. Elessar is aware of points 1 and 2. We talked about it. I wasn't even going to post this story here at first...but the boss has faith in me. He knows what I am talking about does not define the story. Every other detail of this story will overshadow it. I promise.

It seems some of you have made a decision to read or not to read based not on the warning, but on the presence of the warning blown way out of proportion. Some of you are unhappy with the warning. Some of you would be unhappy if I didn't put it. Damned if I do, damned if I don't. :dunno: I don't beg people to read my stuff--that lacks dignity. But come on, make an informed decision, not one based on hype. I put the warning there in good faith.

I've already had one member contact me privately with concerns about what's to come, and for now he seems satisfied with my explanation. I'm grateful to him for coming and asking me discretely, instead of putting me in the n awkward position of revealing a spoiler, or going on the attack.

For anyone else who has doubts: read my body of work so far, and then ask yourself if you really think that I could put something out there that I wouldn't be proud of, or that wouldn't maintain that TnT should be together forever.

In fact, just read the Prologue and Chapter 1. If you still have doubts after that, I can't help you.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

pdsldl
Captain
Captain
Show On Map: No

Postby pdsldl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:44 am

I'm confused. People are objecting to a story which is obviously a TnT centered story by Aquarius' own comments and according to what has been already posted? She starts off with them declaring their love and bonded. What else do they want? While personally I can't see T'Pol having anymore than a fleeting interest in Archer as a potential sexual partner we're dealing with the behavior of real people (I realize their fictional but their actions are dictated by the psychology of what happens in the real world). And people, even a confused and lonely Vulcan, are bound to make errors in judgment. The idea of an TnA sexual encounter turns my stomach just because I think they are totally wrong for one another and for whatever reason Archer doesn't appeal to me on any level. But if it was used to enhance a story or develop the plot I can get by it. If people are going to write things off just because they don't like or object to a small aspect of it then they are setting themselves up to miss out on some pretty terrific things in life. Anyone on this site who has read anything Aquarius has written knows what an excellent writer she is and should trust her to to honor the characters and especially TnT.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Okay, Aquarius has opened with a zinger of a first chapter. Trip Trip upchucks both his frustrations at being yo-yo'd and also the beer he has consumed. T-Pol realizes what he says is true. He confeses his love and she confesses hers. That in a nutshell leaves the way open for them to connect. Crap is out of the way now.

I have re-read th e prologue. Trip and T-Pol are married. Triip is looking at Archer in a friendly way. so with the bond if anythihg happened between Archer and R-Pol Trip would know it which would topedoe the marriage. So, they are married. Archer's ass may be ina s ling because he condoned the marriage and probably performed the ceremny.

I am willing to read the rest of the story now content that I may have to apologize to Aquarius for any misunderstanding.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:49 pm

I think I have to be clear, and I am talking only for me.
I would have preferred no preventive ballyhoo. In this way I would have read this story virginally and I would have assessed it according to my own judgement criteria. I could have enjoyed it or not; I could have argued about it or not; I could have thought to cease to read it or I could have devoured it with pleasure and delight.
Now I can't help but be a little diffident. I will read this story, sure. But every time I will lower my head upon one of its chapters, I will wonder if I am doing a good thing for my bowels.
And that isn't a good thing.
Possibly I will await for its end.
There is another issue that I want to clarify.
I am not among those who think that a story, irrespective of what is narrated and of how things are narrated, is good if it's beautiful written.
If things were so, we would have no defence against all the rubbish, all the pieces of junk which are dished to us under the mantle of of the "good writing". I prefer a story which is GOOD and BADLY written, than a story which is BAD and WELL written.
And, in this case, I don't think this idea is only mine.
Another thing: This last contorted cerebration is not for you, Aquarius. As for that, it's better I am pellucid.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:57 pm

But if it was used to enhance a story or develop the plot I can get by it. If people are going to write things off just because they don't like or object to a small aspect of it then they are setting themselves up to miss out on some pretty terrific things in life.

I've always thought Archer made a great "third point in a triangle" in TnT stories. Whatever the level of feelings he has for T'Pol, and I think he does have some sublimated attraction/strong feelings for her, he's got to deal with his two closest colleagues/friends falling in love. It's bound to bring up some interesting dynamics.

On the T'Pol front, I have no problem with the idea that she would see Archer as a "more logical" choice than Trip given that he is less emotive and they do have a good, solid friendship. A Vulcan marriage, after all, is supposed to be based on mutual respect and affection - not the romantic love and passion that she isn't supposed to feel for Trip but does. Her falling in love with Trip means her learning that logical in practice is different from logical in the abstract.

And Trip, well, he's a generous sort and his (at times misguidedly) very loyal to Archer. I can see him having thoughts of stepping aside if he thought Archer was a better match for T'Pol and if he somehow got the wrong impression that they were in love.

Love triangles do make for good drama. If TnT are the endgame, I'm along for the ride.

Asso
Site Donor

Re: Body and Katra thread

Postby Asso » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:07 pm

This is my last post on this thread, and I wanted to put it only because compelled by Honeybee's assertions: from bad to worse.
I apologize to everyone, surely such ideas are not my cup of tea.
A la prochaine.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:21 pm

Here's the thing:

As artists, we are never going to please everybody. It's an impossibility. *I* am never going to be able to please everybody; that's one of the first things I had to get past when I started doing hair, and it's just as applicable and valid to writing.

I never considered that my warning as to content would fall under that umbrella, but I suppose that's appropriate, too. Some people would be mad at me if I didn't give them a heads-up. Others, like Asso are upset about it. I say only this in my defense: I put the warning up in good faith, hoping that if people are THAT squeamish they could be warned and I could maybe avoid getting attacked for it later; if I'd known I was going to fall under attack now any way, just for the warning, I probably would've done it your way then.

When I respond to authors, if I have anything negative to say, I try to be constructive about it. And if someone writes things that aren't my cup of tea, I don't feel the need to make a declaration about it; I just simply and discretely don't read. I was hoping people would make an informed decision based on my previous track record and take my heads-up for just that, and consider it contextually. If they can't, I guess it's their loss.

Any way, we've spent like three pages talking about the warning and what it may and may not mean. I'm kind of tired of that now. Aren't you all? Like I said before, if you have any grave, legitimate concern that I may be steering everyone down the wrong path or somehow blaspheming our fandom, I invite you to PM me and we'll talk, or for those who lurk and aren't members, my email address is also available, or you can find me on Twitter (AquariusNX01). Just...talk to me before you get all freaked out and judgmental.

Okay, how 'bout we reserve the rest of the thread for the actual story?

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:50 pm

The whole warning bit threw me off, but I read the first chapter. The word that came into my mind was: raw. Raw en real emotions set in a raw enviroment. The rain at the end underlined the whole drama. I could see them standing in the rain, with the water pouring down on them. It looks like they still have problems with the bond, they are struggling and old resentments have to be dealt with. It was done in such a matter that it felt real and strange enough mantained a glint of hope.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:13 pm

panyasan wrote:The whole warning bit threw me off, but I read the first chapter. The word that came into my mind was: raw. Raw en real emotions set in a raw enviroment. The rain at the end underlined the whole drama. I could see them standing in the rain, with the water pouring down on them. It looks like they still have problems with the bond, they are struggling and old resentments have to be dealt with. It was done in such a matter that it felt real and strange enough mantained a glint of hope.

mmm, angsty old resentments. I LOVED when he summarized their relationship as only a man in his state could do.

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:23 pm

It's a beautiful thing to listen to Trip call her on all her s**t - and it sounds real, too.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:37 pm

panyasan wrote:The whole warning bit threw me off, but I read the first chapter. The word that came into my mind was: raw. Raw en real emotions set in a raw enviroment. The rain at the end underlined the whole drama. I could see them standing in the rain, with the water pouring down on them. It looks like they still have problems with the bond, they are struggling and old resentments have to be dealt with. It was done in such a matter that it felt real and strange enough mantained a glint of hope.

There is nothing more gratifying to an author than finding out she accomplished precisely what she set out to do. This scene was meant to be rock bottom; even with all they'd been through in the show, I didn't believe they'd been there yet, and I didn't believe that they could start living up to their potential as a couple until they did. So they end up in this filthy, stinky alley--literally and metaphorically--and when it can't possibly be any worse, it rains.

Remember, though: rain is also cleansing. ;-)

Crystalswolf--yeah, he and T'Pol have gotten so good at evading the issues (and each other), I concluded that the only way he'd let it all out is if he was totally uninhibited and pushed to the absolute limit. He just lost a child and believes T'Pol doesn't want him (again); after a few beers, a few more sound like a good idea because sometimes numb is better. By the time she finds him, he literally has nothing to lose by speaking his mind.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm

Trip does tell T-Pol where the Bear Shit in the woods. But I got the idea that this cleared the air and now they can move on to a secure relationship. The Rain was good as it symbolizes (for me) the clearing of he air even the Alley symbolized the crap they were going to leave behind.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Aquarius, I want you to know that I have been obsessively checking to see if you've updated yet, you cruel, cruel woman! :evil:

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:14 am

Sorry! I wasn't supposed to be this busy over Spring Break, but because of snow days, it worked out that I have and exam and two essays due on Monday, and another exam and two creative writing responses due on Wednesday. I've been trying to give priority to my studies this week (with varying degrees of success, due to errands from hell, etc.), but I plan to get Chapter Two up soon.

Please be patient with the aged college student. 8) LMAO!!!!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”