Body and Katra thread

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Re: Body and Katra thrrad

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Aquarius wrote:As for the warnings, I warn in the story as well as the forum because there is nothing more frustrating than having people hammer at you when they don't like something, despite being fairly warned and having the option of not reading it.
I do understand why you put down your warning, but the funny thing is, most people don't respond to the thing they are warned to, but to other things. I know one story with a warning for a certain scene and nobody objected against that scene, because it was respectfully written. People did however responded to a couple of other things in that story (a lot!) and a whole discussion came to life.
My point of view is: as a reader you are free to disagree or don't like certain things in a story and to point them out. It doesn't mean the reader isn't open minded or living on a pink cloud or someting like that, maybe the reader has a different view. Or something interesting to say (that can improve your story.) As a writer you don't have to agree with the critical remarks your reader gives you, but personally I would not simply dismiss them.
As for warnings: they can be useful, but I think a story can simply speak for itself.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:12 pm

My question is why put in things that you feel will offend and bring complaints? I don't belive that I am alone in my revulson of an Archer. T-Pol sex scene. Don't think you willl have one though. Still the warning does make one want to read your story. could that be the reason for the warning? To get people so interested in your story that they cannot wait until Sunday?
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Eian Flannagan
Commander
Commander
Twitter username: eianflannagan

Postby Eian Flannagan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 pm

And, quite frankly, those who may be suspicious of the warnings are, in fact, the folks who probably shouldn't read the story. Because it's quite likely their panties will end up all in a bunch over something they were warned about. Which is sad, really. It's a fantastic piece of writing.

That warning exists so folks won't clutter up the comments complaining about that particular aspect of the story. It's in there. Deal with it. Comment on all the other things in the story. But if you comment about how much you hate anything related to AnT, you deserve to be ignored because you had the option NOT to read it.

You bring in that stuff because it fits the story. People don't really write just want you want to read. And anyone who will complain about anything Archer-related in this story can only do so to stir up crap unnecessarily since she WARNED it would be in there. It FITS THE STORY.

Aquarius---good warning, good beginning. :thumbsup: At this point, anyone who objects to anything Archer-related in coming chapters should be ignored since they have, indeed, been warned it is coming.

Oh...and about bloody damn time!!! :raspberry: We've been waiting forever!
"We do not have to visit a madhouse to find disordered minds;
our planet is the mental institution of the universe."
---Johann von Goethe

The Happy Medium Universe

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:20 pm

Okay.
Last edited by panyasan on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
Love is a verb.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:44 pm

panyasan wrote:I don't mind Archer-T'Pol stuff, even when they have a sort kind of relationship, but I am no fan of a sex scene between Archer and T'Pol. So I will take your advice, Eian and not read the story.

I mind, and I believe that never the aim justifies the mean. I am here to read what I was searching for: if I can't, better I leave. I don't like useless complications and I think that the stories should try to meet the pleasure of everyone.
At this point, I have fear that Aquarius reached her aim, at least with me.
And, Eian, maybe at this point, my latin sentence has its worth.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:48 pm

Okay, here's the deal (and you guys are making it really, really hard not to spoil anything!):

panyasan--I totally understand what you're saying abut the story speaking for itself. I do. However, there have been reactions to other people's work that have been, if you'll pardon my frankness, irrational. What happens in my story is context-dependent, so you personally may not have a problem with this at all. However, there are others who have a propensity toward grabbing at things out of context and hammering away at that, regardless of what the point of the story is, or the function a scene/character/idea served. You've seen the beginning, you know at least part of the outcome already, and that should be enough to satisfy most readers regardless of what happens in the middle. It might not hurt to keep an open mind. ;-)

Silverbullet--Why? Because in my world--both the fictional one and the real, everyday one I deal in--relationships are often complicated. That, and if I homogenized everything down to a point where it couldn't possibly offend or disinterest anybody, it'd be a pretty boring story. I am taking what's been presented in the show, and teasing some things out of it that are naturally inherent in the situation. But I do like your publicity stunt theory! :thumbsup: Wish I was actually smart enough to have thought of that, lol! :lol:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:50 pm

panyasan wrote:
Aquarius wrote:As for the warnings, I warn in the story as well as the forum because there is nothing more frustrating than having people hammer at you when they don't like something, despite being fairly warned and having the option of not reading it.
I do understand why you put down your warning, but the funny thing is, most people don't respond to the thing they are warned to, but to other things. I know one story with a warning for a certain scene and nobody objected against that scene, because it was respectfully written. People did however responded to a couple of other things in that story (a lot!) and a whole discussion came to life.

Since I think I know what story you are talking about, I have to observe that this is absolutely right. You may think you've picked out the offensive scenes, but people will often find other reasons to be offended that you never expected.

If you are really going to be upset by people being displeased with certain plot turns or characterizations, I think you'd better just gird yourself and get ready for it, or perhaps request that nobody give you any negative feedback (which is reasonable -- and I think those of us who leave reviews would appreciate that warning from people who truly hate to be told anything critical about their work). Or, you could try to look at it as flattering that you have provoked so much discussion.

I would say that personally I only find it tiresome when the same people argue the same points over and over, as if they think repetition will somehow change anybody's mind. At that point, it would be more polite to move the discussion over to the discussion boards and leave the story comments to people who have something new to say about it.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:03 pm

:roll:
Last edited by Asso on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:05 pm

Aquarius wrote:Okay, here's the deal (and you guys are making it really, really hard not to spoil anything!):

panyasan--I totally understand what you're saying abut the story speaking for itself. I do. However, there have been reactions to other people's work that have been, if you'll pardon my frankness, irrational. What happens in my story is context-dependent, so you personally may not have a problem with this at all. However, there are others who have a propensity toward grabbing at things out of context and hammering away at that, regardless of what the point of the story is, or the function a scene/character/idea served. You've seen the beginning, you know at least part of the outcome already, and that should be enough to satisfy most readers regardless of what happens in the middle. It might not hurt to keep an open mind. ;-)
I understand your reasoning.
Last edited by panyasan on Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Love is a verb.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:12 pm

I'm pretty intrigued with the idea, actually. Obviously, TnT ARE meant to be together, but with complications. From Archer, of all people. Without conflict, a story would be pretty boring and this is going to be a doozy, sounds like.

Be interested to see what this is all about. :mrgreen:

Everyone has their own preferences, and that's OK. I do too, but I'm going to keep an open mind and see how it's handled. That's all we can do. Aquarius, I'm looking forward to seeing your version of "TnT complicated". LOL
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Alelou wrote:
panyasan wrote:

Since I think I know what story you are talking about, I have to observe that this is absolutely right. You may think you've picked out the offensive scenes, but people will often find other reasons to be offended that you never expected.

If you are really going to be upset by people being displeased with certain plot turns or characterizations, I think you'd better just gird yourself and get ready for it, or perhaps request that nobody give you any negative feedback (which is reasonable -- and I think those of us who leave reviews would appreciate that warning from people who truly hate to be told anything critical about their work). Or, you could try to look at it as flattering that you have provoked so much discussion.

I would say that personally I only find it tiresome when the same people argue the same points over and over, as if they think repetition will somehow change anybody's mind. At that point, it would be more polite to move the discussion over to the discussion boards and leave the story comments to people who have something new to say about it.

I am prepared for it, Alelou. However, I felt it only fair, to myself as the author and to the readers, to be able to say "well, you were warned" when it happens.

Here's the thing, folks: we can make each other crazy about the warnings when only half a page worth of story is up, or we can relax and enjoy the ride. You have what you need to make an informed decision. If you have any grave concerns, PM me.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:30 pm

Aquarius, there certainly is some controversy about your story and many havent read it. I guess it has appeared else where so there are a few who are familiar with it.

I will keep an open mind aobut the sdstory if I read it. That is only fair to you.

It is hard to discuss this story without having read it but the warning has sent up red flags in my mind. I sincerely hope that Ihave misread your intent and will find the content of your story not offending to my sensibilities. I belive it is fair to expect that.

So, I look forward to enjoying this story.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:34 pm

Off topic, slightly, but since he was mentioned earlier in this thread -- Is Eian still writing fanfic somewhere? I seem to recall him talking about being nearly finished with something a long time ago, but I haven't seen anything new here or are ff.net.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:37 pm

Silverbullet--Nope, this story is brand spankin' new. The only ones who've seen it already are my beta readers, Honeybee and Eian. Let me just say now that I appreciate your commitment to keep an open mind.

That said, I kind of had to giggle--I thought that people would at least wait until the "objectionable" material presented itself before they started objecting! :dunno: Oh, well.

Either y'all are familiar enough with my writing and my feelings about TnT to have enough faith in me that I'll make it worth your while, or you don't.

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Feb 27, 2010 10:38 pm

Alelou wrote:Off topic, slightly, but since he was mentioned earlier in this thread -- Is Eian still writing fanfic somewhere? I seem to recall him talking about being nearly finished with something a long time ago, but I haven't seen anything new here or are ff.net.

Eian hasn't published any new fic in a while but I know he's working on something. We'll be the first to know when it's done!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”