Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

The power of touch -- for Humans, anyway

Postby Alelou » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:02 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23mind.html?em

So do Vulcans experience the same effect, or is their biology so different it wouldn't work like that?

Certainly T'Pol seems to respond to a little touch now and then. 8) As creatures with an inherent nature like this, are we even truly capable of conceiving of -- and really understanding -- an alien that wouldn't respond to it?
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Re: The power of touch -- for Humans, anyway

Postby Aikiweezie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Alelou wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/23/health/23mind.html?em

So do Vulcans experience the same effect, or is their biology so different it wouldn't work like that?

Certainly T'Pol seems to respond to a little touch now and then. 8) As creatures with an inherent nature like this, are we even truly capable of conceiving of -- and really understanding -- an alien that wouldn't respond to it?

It's my impression that Vulcan's really, really feel the power of touch. So much in fact that they avoid it casually. It is considered very very intimate. Therefore engaging in neuro pressure with Trip was a rather risky activity.

I've never heard of any mammal that didn't enjoy being touched, either by another animal of its kind or a human companion. Fish and reptiles though, that's different I think. I''ve never seen fish or reptiles cuddling or grooming each other, although I have seen aligators and snakes kind of piled on top of each other.

So maybe aliens that aren't mammalian wouldn't have the same need for physical contact. Pretty much all Trek aliens are humanoid no matter where they came from or what they supposedly evolved from.

crystalswolf
Commander
Commander

Postby crystalswolf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:50 pm

Aikiweezie, I agree. I think Vulcans would be more sensitive than humans to touch, perhaps because of their telepathic abilities. Obviously, they require touch to establish a telepathic connection, can you imagine "connecting" with people constantly throughout the day? No wonder early Vulcans were the way they were ;)

Great topic though. Never thought about this before and love the idea of it.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:25 pm

Being a touch telepath it would be very intrusive to be touched and read someone's thoughts.It's understandable as a reason they avoid being touched and it's a very intimate thing for a Vulcan .Very uncomfortable situation for a Vulcan.Especially for T'pol when she began doing Neroupressure with Trip.She and Trip grew closer over time in The Forgotten she touched Trip's arm as a sign of comfort when he grieved for his sister.And to Calm trip down in Zero hour.With Koss it's a very different story she couldn't stand his touch or being near him because of the intimate telepathic bond she shares with trip.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:18 am

Yes, but even if you are exquisitely sensitive to touch -- or perhaps especially if you are -- wouldn't you also, possibly, NEED it? The way the rest of us mammals do?

This could explain why Vulcans so often seem to have sticks up their butts. If they're out in space without their mates, they're seriously touch-deficient...

For some reason this is reminding of Spock and that cat.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:32 am

Alelou wrote: This could explain why Vulcans so often seem to have sticks up their butts. If they're out in space without their mates, they're seriously touch-deficient...

So then it would make sense that the bond would do what it does to pull the mates together, yes?

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:48 am

Alelou wrote:Yes, but even if you are exquisitely sensitive to touch -- or perhaps especially if you are -- wouldn't you also, possibly, NEED it? The way the rest of us mammals do?
I understood (correct me if I am wrong) that autistic people and people with Down syndrome - who are sensitive to touch - also like/need touch, even when it's hard for them. It makes sense. The things you are sensitive for (like affirmation that you're okay), you mostly also need. BTW, I really enjoyed the article, it is very interesting science.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:02 pm

Yes, I too believe Vulcans are extremely touch sensitive, much more so than humans. I do think that they learn blocking methods to maintain privacy - a kind of personal shielding. For out in crowds, there would be some unintentional and unavoidable touching. Oh, and how invasive a doctor's exam must be for them!
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:55 pm

Linda wrote:Yes, I too believe Vulcans are extremely touch sensitive, much more so than humans. I do think that they learn blocking methods to maintain privacy - a kind of personal shielding. For out in crowds, there would be some unintentional and unavoidable touching. Oh, and how invasive a doctor's exam must be for them!
Linda,This really does make sense when it comes to the Vulcans developing mental techniques to shield themselves to maintain privacy.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”