Does Trip have much of an accent?

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Does Trip have much of an accent?

Postby bluetiger » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:07 am

Asso, your comment reminded me of something that happened several years ago. I was working as an assistant to a clothing buyer. One of our suppliers was an Italian gentleman. He called to check on a shipment and began to laugh. He told me that he loved to call down south because the women had the most beautiful accent he had ever heard. Are all Italian men flirts?
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Postby Asso » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:49 am

Otherwise what sort of Italian men would they be? :lol:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:25 pm

I've heard that Spanish men, as a rule, are extremely forward.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:28 am

This is an old noble challenge, between Spanish and Italian men. Who knows who will win?
To the women the arduous verdict. 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 pm

I haven't been to Spain or to Italy, but I traveled nearby alone twenty years ago and the ITALIANS were definitely the most forward guys I ever had to cope with. And the Algerians in France were also very persistent. It was such a relief to get back to England and not feel under seige all the time.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:30 pm

LOL! :lol:

Asso, I was on a class trip to Sicily and we took a train from Naples. A bunch of us were in a car right next to a group of Italian guys who were having a party next door...let's just say they were very...um...friendly. :lol: One man in particular was very vocal about how American women (and in my case Chinese...he mistook my nationality) were so LOVELY. To his credit he was gentlemanly and really sweet.

And I was fourteen at the time. :oops: Let's just say I learned some very interesting Italian expressions during that trip. :lol:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:51 pm

BAH, an Irish Lover will serenade you, read you love poems. Woo you. He will be sensitive, but Manly. They are as handsome as the Italian or spanish. Pluse, they are magnamnus (sp) just one female. Once they give thier Heart it is for keeps. The Latins aren't that way at all. Of coure ASSO is an exception to that.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:53 pm

Well as I don't believe in Stereotypes I'll just say that there are all different kinds of men, and they are all equally capable of being wonderful or smarmy. That said Irish guys while usually my preference have some irritating traits as well. Like all other people on the planet.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:04 am

Silverbullet wrote:BAH, an Irish Lover will serenade you, read you love poems. Woo you. He will be sensitive, but Manly.

"I'll take you home again, Kathleeeen!" ;-)
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:34 am

Oh God how many drinks would that take in my Irish family?????? Much more than usual and my Irish side drink a lot I mean a lot!
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:44 am

Oh man, I shot an Irish wedding once (in NJ) where everybody in the freakin' wedding party was blitzed before they'd even gotten to Allison Park for their pictures. That reception got downright scary (seriously, cops had to be called).

Usually in weddings it's just one alcoholic parent or some uncle or something who really loses it. But at this one, EVERYBODY was losing it...

And if you're curious why people would take wedding pictures at this park, it has a great view of the Hudson, with upper Manhattan on the opposite bank. In the early years I worked at Prentice Hall, this was our usual spot to walk to at lunchtime.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 8AbP5rypCg
Image.Image

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:02 am

I will admit that the Irish do love their Gargle. Comes with the territory. Drink all night and then finish it with a good fight.

NOT all Irish love Gargle, I prefer Beer. Can't handle the hard stuff and don't care for the taste. But I could bathe in Beer.

Reformed, haven't had anything to drink in years. But I did like it when young(er)

(to Paraphrase) Ther are two kinds of people The Irish and those who wish they were.

BTW, my jab at the Latins was just in fun. Not meant at all.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

enterprikayak
Token Canadian
Token Canadian

Postby enterprikayak » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:53 am

Asso wrote:My friends, I find this discussion about Trip's accent VERY, VERY, VERY, interesting.
That, not because I would draw some inspiration from all that (Never I will be capable of doing such a difficult thing), but because this notifies me of the subtle nuances of differences Americans have even in their pronunciation. It's good to touch with a living hand how much extended your country is. Sometimes, here, in Europe (and signally in Italy, which is a very small country), we tend to perceive Americans simply as Americans, forgetting the great quantity of differences that they can have.

Yeah, I can personally think of at least five Canadian accents, and at least 5 or 6 American ones too. There are several that belong just to New York. And I can hardly understand anyone from Newfoundland. :lol:

I used to amuse myself when I worked in a Shopper's Drug Mart in downtown Victoria, BC (quite a u.s. tourist hotspot) by trying to guess which customers were American vs Canadian by their accent, speech, hairstyle, sunglasses......and then I would know whether or not I was right depending on whether they pulled out a Canadian credit card or a US one (or more likely, a fat wallet with $35,000 in Amex travellers cheques just a-crammed in there...what IS it with you guys and the travellers cheques??? :lol:) It was a fun game.

And somehow, even though we are each others' brothers, and most of the world lumps us all together as north americans, I could tell with like 95% accuracy when I was ringing in a visiting American. And not always the accent either. Something is different about...like, the way the middle aged women do their hair, and the kind of sunglasses they wear. The 40+ women give it off somehow, this vibe that can be detected. Nothing good or bad, mind you....just this infinitesimal difference. And then boom: they open their purse and there's the Amex cheques. Two inches of em. :lol: ^ true story

Also when I worked at the pharmacy counter, every single day we'd get 2 to 20 different US visitors coming up and asking what was "the most codeine they could buy and take back over the border". And then they'd buy, like 15 bottles of the stuff. I guess it's all prescribed and expensive over there. I always felt bad for them, anxiously trying to stockpile enough pain meds to last a while at home.
|||||||||enterpriseScrybe & enterpriseScrybe2 TrekVids||||||||| www.trekref.info|||||||||www.TriaxTpolitan.com|||||||||
"Let's be honest with ourselves: there's nothing easy about the life we've chosen. But we don't do it because it's easy, dammit!
We do it because the tits are big and the bat'leths are sharp and the ships are fast!"

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:44 pm

Finally, we've tracked down the pernicious source of the illegal codeine trade! 8)
Image.Image

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:46 pm

I've purchased aspirin with codine while in the Carribbean. It is very effective for headaches and you can't buy it over the counter here.

When we were in Disney World the last two times, both times in October, there were a ton of British tourists. I discoverde that the Brits I encountered dressed and wore their hair so much like Americans do on vacation I couldn't distinguish them until they began to talk. I also played a game while in those long lines, Americans or Brits?

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”