The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Show On Map: No

Re: Khellian: The Hour Is At Hand

Postby hth2k » Mon May 28, 2007 2:29 am

Writing is an art just as is painting or sculpture. To get good at it takes practice and work, lots of work.

Writing as a hobby may be gratifying and serve as an outlet for ones creative talents and other areas.

Writing as a professional is an entirely different matter. Gone is the freedom to dabble when you wish, plan on 10-12 hour days. It becomes work and requires dedication. The idea of creating something in your spare time that will sell and make you rich is fantasy. Plan on it taking over your life and enduring many rejections. If you have the desire and endurance you may prevail. It will not be easy.

Good luck.

HtH

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon May 28, 2007 2:34 am

Mark Twain said wrok is what one is obliged to do. When you are working on a deadline, the fun flies right out the window instantly. That's why it took me so long to finish my last fic when HoT was closing, and the reason I just chopped it off and ended it where I did instead of tying up the loose ends. I got so tense at thinking about trying to get it done in time for their deadline, that I got disgusted and just quit with it.

Don't you have enough stress as a doctor already? I thought this was your safety valve. Why add to it?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 2:37 am

^ Uhhh... cuz she really likes writing? Confused
ImageImage

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon May 28, 2007 2:38 am

(mental note: no more self inflicted deadlines...)
Writing as TrekPyro.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon May 28, 2007 2:40 am

I'm not trying to get rich. An occasional check would be a nice confirmation of the validity of my writing ability, though, and maybe then my husband would stop bitching about my hobby and leave me alone. I don't have time to be a professional writer, though. I've already got a profession.
Image sig by chrisis1033

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Mon May 28, 2007 2:42 am

I suppose you could nag him about his hobbies to get him back. Twisted Evil Wink

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 2:42 am

How do non-professional writers get paid for writing then? Confused
ImageImage

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 2:45 am

CX wrote:I suppose you could nag him about his hobbies to get him back. Twisted Evil Wink

Confused Oh dude. I just got this "what do you waste all that time shooting stuff for??" image in my head now. Laughing
ImageImage

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Mon May 28, 2007 2:52 am

Well depending whether he is a hunter or not, he may just point to the freezer and mention the Venison, boar, etc.

There is also the potential for home defence.

May not be good to go there. Cool

Far better just to say it makes her happy and she enjoys it. He does like having a happy wife no?

HtH

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 2:55 am

Some people would eat anything. Confused Razz
ImageImage

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Mon May 28, 2007 2:59 am

Dis,
I've been through similar crap with my husband. He needs to understand that you're writing is part of who you are and even if it's fan fiction he shouldn't be trying to "improve" on what you're doing. Has he ever even read any of your work?
While it's a good idea to start writing original fiction, it's better to do it for yourself when your ready and not for someone else when you aren't ready. Wait till you're sure it's what you want and not because you're being nagged.
Writing as TrekPyro.

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 3:03 am

^ What she said. Cool
ImageImage

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Mon May 28, 2007 4:51 am

Will sci-fi still be your genre? Anyway, whether you publish or post I hope you'll let us know where. Smile
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon May 28, 2007 12:43 pm

I've been half-heartedly working on an SF/Romance book manuscript for over a year now. Just the idea. No publisher. No agent. No connections. My fanfic storyline took over and I haven't touched it in a while. I've also sent in a short story manuscript to a couple of SF magazines...only rejection letters so far, but the story wasn't very original, IMO. I need to change focus and come up with some more original ideas that aren't under someone else's copyright.

As far as being unrealistic about my chances for publication...well...I see everyone's point. I've only been writing fiction for two years as a hobby. I have no reason to believe that anyone would even be interested in my original fiction. I've wanted to write SF for years. I just never thought I had even the technical skill to write a coherent story. Now that I know that I'm at least a decent technician, I thought I'd try setting my mind to coming up with something interesting enough to hold the attention of mainstream SF readers who aren't into a specific fandom. It's probably a pipe dream, though. You guys will be the first to know if I sell anything. I doubt very seriously I'd be able to keep from just EXPLODING from sheer joy if I ever get an acceptance letter from any magazine or publisher. Rolling Eyes
Image sig by chrisis1033

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Mon May 28, 2007 1:48 pm

I loved "Charlie." I thought it was one of your best.

Guess what? I took your last story on vacation over the weekend (a soccer tournament in Virginia). I have all kinds of comments, which I see today are not worth sharing since we are moving right along to the next installment! For once I am ready.

There were things I liked and didn't like about the last story, but I'll say this for it: it was involving. I was actually late getting out of the car and over to watch the soccer game because I didn't want to put it down.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”