The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

evcake
Commodore
Commodore
Show On Map: No

Re: Khellian: The Hour Is At Hand

Postby evcake » Sun May 27, 2007 6:39 pm

Bow Down Great stuff. And please, I'd like very much to see how you continue Charlie.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sun May 27, 2007 8:47 pm

Really? I'd gotten the impression that pretty much everybody hated "Charlie". I've revised it to link it with the last episode of my Virtual series and posted it on fanfic.net. If you'd like I can ask to post the revised version here after I write episode nine... and maybe a sequel if anyone's interested. I'm just done with the pre-and-during Romulan War stuff. It's no fun now that the relaunch novels have totally trashed my premise that Trip's "death" occurred at the end of the war. My entire timeline was based on that, and I can't fix it now. And I really can't write war stories. Don't want to, either.
Image sig by chrisis1033

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Sun May 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Then start a new series after the war!

Although you don't need Charlie anymore, since Trip never died.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

evcake
Commodore
Commodore

Postby evcake » Sun May 27, 2007 9:41 pm

I thought Charlie was intriguing. I wondered how the two katras might co-exist as time went by.
And surely, everything doesn't have to be about the Romulan War just because the "relaunch" novels seem likely to be. BnB's suggestion sounds good to me.
It's flavored with passionfruit
an appropriate ingredient, don't you think?

Banner by JadziaKathryn

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Mon May 28, 2007 1:20 am

I always considered your series a parallel universe that only loosely tied to the series. Same characters and some shared events but different histories. Frankly I would have enjoyed you following your previous path and not having a Romulan war in your 'verse.

You mentioned a while ago running low on inspiration and tht alone would be reason anough to close out this chapter. When you get the bug again I hope you will continue to write as I thoroughly enjoy reading them. Well most of them.

I admit I am not a fan of "Charlie". Neither am I a fan of the TNG holo novella that maskaraded as a finale for the series.

Guess I really liked the exploration variant of the series and the areas you explored.

HtH

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon May 28, 2007 1:27 am

I am gonna go out on a limb (again) and take a wild guess that maybe the men on this board don't like Charlie as much as the women do.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon May 28, 2007 1:29 am

But I like "Charlie". I can't just discard the story because some people can't deal with the thought of Trip actually dying and T'Pol actually getting desperate enough to attempt something not-quite-ethical to bring him back and having some emotional conflict in the process. And if I write a series starting with the assumption that Trip DOESN'T die, it's plagiarism at this point because it's in the relaunch novels. I'd feel like I was stealing ideas and rehashing something already in the process of being written by someone else. Besides, I'm all out of "series" motivation. Maybe one sequel to settle my idea of how the katra transfer works out in the end...maybe. Not a series, though. I've been doing this for 2 years straight. Time to move on.
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 1:33 am

Distracted wrote:And if I write a series starting with the assumption that Trip DOESN'T die, it's plagiarism at this point because it's in the relaunch novels. I'd feel like I was stealing ideas and rehashing something already in the process of being written by someone else.

It's just as much "plagiarism" as starting with the assumption that Trip did die - because it's in *the_abomination*. Wink
ImageImage

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon May 28, 2007 1:44 am

Nope. What appeared on screen is canon. It's not plagiarism to assume canon is true when you're writing fanfic. As far as I'm concerned, though, anything written is not canon. It's the property of the writer and if I use it I'm plagiarizing in just the same way as if I decide to use someone else's OC in my fanfics. For some reason, the idea bothers me. I'm not sure why. Guess I'm just weird. I suppose I feel this way because I don't really consider the relaunch novels "official"...or at least not any more official than, say, Rigil's stories. The relaunch books are just not-so-great fanfics that someone got lucky enough to be paid for, as far as I'm concerned.
Image sig by chrisis1033

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 1:49 am

Confused I don't get it Confused
ImageImage

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon May 28, 2007 1:51 am

It's your series and your story. You write it to suit yourself. You have given us a mountain of wonderful writing. If we don't like the end of it, we don't have to read it.

I just re-read Charlie today. It is a very well written story. Extremely thoughtful, touching, emotionally riveting, heart wrenching, very well done indeed. I just hate it, that's all. But that does not reflect in any way on your story telling. It is the story itself that gets me.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Mon May 28, 2007 2:00 am

Hey go with what you are comfortible with writing. Just because I and a others did not warm to one subject does not make it unworthy if it intrigues you. I always thought a writer writes what they have to unless they are being paid to write for someone else. Whether an audience responds is just a benefit.

Actually had you wished to assume *the_abomination* was not part of the continuity you chose to follow that in no way could be considered plagerism. That is copying anothers work. Only if you decided to use the concept of Trip going undercover and faking his death to become "Ro,ulan" could you be considered infringing. All writers make judgement call and pick and choose what they accept and include and what they reject and dismiss.

Two years is a long time and everyone gets fatigued at some point.

I just would hate to see you quit writing though.

HtH

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Mon May 28, 2007 2:14 am

Actually, I'd like to start writing some original stuff I might conceivably get paid for. My husband's kinda tired of all the time I've been "wasting" on fanfic. I've been telling him it's practice. Guess it's time to put my money where my mouth is. My main problem is that when I'm obsessing about TnT I have a really hard time coming up with other story ideas. Of course, if I quit writing fanfic there's no guarantee that I'll be able to come up with anything else. The only way to tell is to give it a try, though, right?
Image sig by chrisis1033

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Mon May 28, 2007 2:15 am

Do both. Ease yourself into it. Besides, the OC that you invent for fanfic are your property. You can change the names and reuse them (or aspects of them) in your own original stories if you want.

I sent you a PM.
--Tecumseh
--King Solomon the Wise

TPoptarts
Commodore
Commodore

Postby TPoptarts » Mon May 28, 2007 2:19 am

Hmm. Maybe you could like write a TnT fic. Then change the names of the characters. And the name of the ships and the species. And the environment to something a little different that still fits. And voila Smile there's nothing about plagiarizing yourself in the intellectual property laws. Twisted Evil Razz Very Happy
ImageImage

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”