Muscled Chief Engineer Chests (and other things)

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Show On Map: No

Re: Muscled Chief Engineer Chests (and other things)

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:54 am

5'8'' is not the average male height, at least not in the Western world (maybe it is if you count Asia). I'm 5'8'' (173 cm) and I'm definitely shorter (unfortunately) than the average guy. But I'm not a hobbit either.
Last edited by Kevin Thomas Riley on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:13 am

KTR, the three males on this thread, so far, all are five foot eight inches in height. so I guess that must be average. Most offices I workd in 5' 8" was abut the average height.

MY Daughters guy is 6' 7" had been a high jumper in college. but his height is a problem for him. Very Tall people do have problems due to their height. Be happy where you are. Come to that many of the men who were famous are not very Tall.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:21 am

Yeah it's kind of irritating that this 17 yr old guy I work with at the restaurant is 6'5, lol.

My friend corey is like 6' even... my friend steve is like 6'1... and as for the rest, it's not that all my friends are like 4-6 inches taller than me, but pretty much ALL of them are at least 1-2 inches taller than me. There's quite a difference between 5'8 and 5'10, primarily because there are still a number of women in the 5'5-5'7 range of height.

I'm not saying I'm insecure about being short, but there's scientific evidence to the effect that women unconsciously interpret height in men as a genetic marker for a good partner, because it's a sign of stronger genes. There are also studies strongly supporting the claim that taller people are happier and more successful, which I totally believe. I mean, if you're tall then you don't have to imagine this, but, imagine the difference in perspective on everything it would give you if you walked around and everybody was BELOW you. There's something psychological to that. Our brains are still wired the same way they were 50,000 years ago, and we still interpret physical stature on a subconscious level as an indicator for prowess, in anything.

Obviously, you can do a lot with what you've got, as far as male height and women. There's no questioning that. Look at Mel Gibson - total ladies man and he's short, same with Tom Cruise... but what I'm saying is, there's definitive evidence that psychologically, a man has to make up ground when he's shorter.

I actually know a girl who's like 6'2 or 6'3 who flat out said she would never date a guy smaller than her... and I think she's just sort of openly stating the fact that that biological drive for a "strong male" wouldn't be there if she perceived him as smaller than her.
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:38 am

There's definitely research that shows being a short male when you're a child has negative effects.

And unfortunately, SilverBullet, a sample of three guys is not really enough to decide what's average...!

But hey, you can be any height on the Internet.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:54 pm

Alelou, no three guys aren't an average but three guys out of total of three is.

anyway, being short(er) may be an incentive to succeed. Get ahead and show those tall guys.

Lots of successafu men are short. Elessar cited a couple. gibson and cruise. alan Ladd (an actor before your time) was about five feet four inches. His female co stars had to walk in a trench when shown walking with him. He reguarly was shown beating up on bigger guys. but with the camera angles it was not evident. I was on the SS United States and he had the stateroom across from me. Hell of aood actor but not the biggest guy in hollyworod.

MMoazrt was Five four, Beethoven five five, Shubert Five three but they wre giants in the music world.

Yeah, lost out to taller men but beat out a few too.

all perspective.
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 pm

I dress in black. That lengthens. 8)
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:47 pm

OK as I am currently reading a biography of Peter The Great who was 6'7'' the average hight in the 1500's for men was 5'6 and most were shorter. 5'8'' was excessively tall. In any case today both men and women are taller. But the last I read 5'8'' to 5'10'' is considered average for a man today.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Ludmila
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Ludmila » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:15 pm

I am 176 cm (5'8''). It is really the middle height as I see at the streets. All men in our company are higher than me (but not more than 190 cm (6'2''). We have the girls with 160 cm (5'2'') (and there are many girls of that height in the age of 24 years, my peers-girls are frequently having the height 168 cm (5'5'')-180 cm (5'9''), the boys are higher). In metro I saw at once the woman with something near 215 cm (7'0''). I think her hands and foots were too big. But I see many boys with big height. I admit that the height is the first appeal for me. I do not pay interested attention to people shorter than me (in the physical aspect).

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:43 pm

The first thing I remember about "Enterprise" was seeing Connor and wondering who that gorgeous guys was. :drool: Just my type. I remember "googling" him to find out. At first his accent annoyed me, to be honest, but soon I really began to like his character. Connor says there's a lot of him in Trip and I could see that when I saw him. And he's quite nice to look at in person, too, although I must say I expected him to be bigger. Not just a little taller but bigger muscles. I've had that same reaction, though with other celebrities I've met, where for some reason you expect them to be bigger than life, to stand out some way. The vast majority look just like normal people under regular lighting without makeup. (Although I bet Jolene Blalock is beautiful all the time :evil: jealous)

His eyes are lovely, too, btw, and when I said "thank you" to him we made eye contact :faint:

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:26 pm

Generally I prefer more petite women, and me being only 173 cm (5'8'') might have to do with that. That's not to say I don't appreciate taller women like Yvonne Strahovski or Tricia Helfer.

Heck, even if he was a creep I found it comforting that short Gaius Baltar and taller Number Six (Helfter) had a thing together on nBSG.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:29 am

I am 170 centimeter and I try to figure out that that is in American sizes. 5"6 or something? I always get confused.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:02 pm

:shock: Arghhhh! Math!

(this is why we've never switched)
Image.Image

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:39 pm

panyasan wrote:I am 170 centimeter and I try to figure out that that is in American sizes. 5"6 or something? I always get confused.

Just google it. I googled "170 centimeter in feet inches" and found out it's 5'7''.

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:10 am

1 inch = 2.5 cm :)
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:53 am

Huh. Maybe with instant google at hand Americans could finally switch over.
Image.Image

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”