I need advice

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

blacknblue
Site Admin

I need advice

Postby blacknblue » Thu May 24, 2007 10:26 pm

I am writing a scene where Archer and T'Para meet face to face for the first time.

Input please?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Distracted
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: I need advice

Postby Distracted » Thu May 24, 2007 10:52 pm

Archer's learned a bit, one would hope, from carrying around Surak's katra. Maybe the sight of her brings on a flashback or something and he turns on some ancient Vulcan courtly manners and just charms the hell out of T'Para? Very Happy
Image sig by chrisis1033

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Thu May 24, 2007 11:35 pm

Alpha male meets alpha female -- batten the hatches there could be rough weather ahead. I could be all wrong about this, but I would think that T'Para's first reaction, whether consciously or unconsciously, would be to compare Archer to Trip. After all, when T'Pol came home with a human, it could have just as easily been Archer. Cool (Don't organize the lynch mob. We all know that T'Pol wouldn't do anything that stupid.) The odds are that Archer's reputation would have preceded him. T'Para's going to want to find out if he everything he's cracked up to be. She going to grill him (albeit subtly) like five pounds of hamburger at a 4th of July picnic.

As for Archer, after Trip's problems channeling T'Pol's emotions, I think Jon would still be worried about his friend. Even with lingering traces of Surak's katra, I don't think he could completely rid himself of his distrust of Vulcans. I think he'd be checking T'Para and her family pretty closely for ways in which they were influencing and possibly even manipulating Trip. Right now T'Para's got both Trip and T'Pol on pretty short leashes. You could also explore the possibility that Archer might have some latent feelings of jealousy that his buddy got the girl.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri May 25, 2007 12:14 am

Seriously, I want to see T'Para slap him down when slips into his self-righteous "I know better about your culture than you do" mode. So he Surak's katra for a few hours, it doesn't make him an expert on Vulcans.

There are other things I'd like to see, of course, but they would get dangerously close to "Archer bashing" and I don't really want to go there...
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Fri May 25, 2007 12:22 am

T'Para is a person of some gravitas on Vulcan and on her home turf. She also has many many years of dealing with people (Vulcans) but people none the less. She has senses that Archer does not and will likely read him like a book. She is vastly smarter than he is and likely to pick up on whatever he does quickly and soon be two or three steps ahead of him.

Archer will or will not realize this to his benefit or detriment. If you write him as he was in the series I almost feel sorry for the poor bastige if he attempts to bull his way with her. She can simple ask Ganlas to remove him and he is gone. Hopefully someone will whisper in his ear, "Don't piss off the old lady."

She would observe much allowing him to reveal himself rather quickly. Once she figures him out she will get what ever she wants. If he is somewhat smarter than in the series he will show respect, do as she asks and he will get what he wants more or less.

HtH

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri May 25, 2007 12:29 am

Perfectly stated. Here here.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri May 25, 2007 12:36 am

This is all wonderful and useful commentary. Please keep it coming.
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri May 25, 2007 12:40 am

Cheater. Having everyone else do the hard work for you. Doubt Raspberry

Sig by Chrisis1033.

CoffeeCat
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby CoffeeCat » Fri May 25, 2007 12:49 am

^ man, I should do this when I'm trying to plot...
Writing as TrekPyro.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri May 25, 2007 2:39 am

I can see T'Para treating Archer like a small child, and him not liking it but realizing she's way smarter than him. Or maybe not realizing it and stewing. Either way.

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 am

Rigil Kent wrote:Cheater. Having everyone else do the hard work for you. Doubt Raspberry

Oh Let him Cheat! Raspberry
Cool Ya want to read this scene dont ya after all.

Laughing I cant help but imagine my My
(gone but not forgotten) Grany Mitchell when ever one of yer updates gets posted bnb. Smile She was definatly an alpha female to.

Anywhos, Id imagine if Archer were to become his ever to often cocky, "Im always right an everyone else is wrong" self, T'Para would rip him a new one. Cool Luv that lil Ol lady.

Laughing But now I cant help but imagine a scene where George would meet/run into Archer, an he says in a dissbeleavin manner later "Thats one of the founding Fathers of the Federation!?! How the hell humans, and Vulcans ever made it out of the 22nd century Ill never know." Laughing
TnT I love em. Very Happy

CX
Commodore
Commodore

Postby CX » Fri May 25, 2007 4:46 am

I'd stop short of the ass reaming everyone else seems to want, but I think after that previous scene where you had another character tell Archer to sit down and STFU, he might try to stick his nose where it doesn't belong. I imagine that would earn him a good lecture, all while T'Para keeps somewhat more respectful than usual. After all, the man carried Surak's katra for a while, een if he hardly seems suitable for that. Wink

Elessar
Site Owner

Postby Elessar » Fri May 25, 2007 7:04 am

am I the only one who doesn't know who the hell T'Para is?!
"I call shotgun!"
"I call nine millimeter." - John and Cameron

Favorites:
Vulcan For...
Your Mom n' Me

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri May 25, 2007 3:11 pm

She's the Eldest Mother of T'Pol's clan in bnb's excellent stories.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Fri May 25, 2007 4:06 pm

Bnb, I think it could be a complex interaction, quite a dramatic scene. T'Para is emensely curious about Archer's contact with Surak and asks questions about that. Archer might start out thinking the meeting would be like he has with his frail grandma and discovers T'Para is a force of (Vulcan) nature, demanding respect. He has to be humble hmself before her. I can see T'Para fereting out and focusing on Archer's weak points and trying to mend them. That is what she has been doing with Trip and T'Pol and she is good at it. He must have some regrets about his treatment of Sim and about that stranding that alien ship in the expanse when he took the warp coil, and numerous other transgressions. Also, I think T'Para would notice his strengths, like the echo of Surak helping him and the vision he has for forming the Federation. She might want to help him keep what is haunting him from sandbagging the carrying out of his dream.

Hope this helps.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”