Tag! You're it!!

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Asso
Site Donor
Show On Map: No

Re: Tag! You're it!!

Postby Asso » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:17 pm

I don't think a race who doesn't eat the animals' flesh in order to not be cruel, can be cruel toward her own members in order to be logical.
In this case it would be hypocritical and unworthy.
But it is true that life is hypocritical and unworthy, sometimes, and probably Vulcans don't escape this rule.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:21 pm

Good point, Asso. And it will be interesting to see how Vulcans can handle this.
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:40 am

Okay. I accept the challenge.
Image sig by chrisis1033

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:13 am

Okay, updating the front page now...
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:27 pm

I agree with Asso. There are other aspects in Vulcan culture then basic logic. One thing is the strong bond with their childern and family (Tuvok is a great example). Also I see in Vulcan culture a great respect for life - so it would respect also life that has less abilities. Also it's a Western point of view to jugde life if it's productive or can achieve things - but in a culture that doesn't strive to self fullfilment, I wonder if that's the same. Just some thoughts, of course not the whole picture of Vulcan society.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:26 pm

That's a very interesting challenge. One's reaction to such a situation is certainly culturally determined. My sister who has autistic children says that in less-developed countries sometimes autistic children have an easier life because the expectations for them are not so high. For instance if the person likes to smear water, well give them a spray bottle and they can be a window washer all day long. Or whatever. They are less likely to be institutionalized with nothing to do. They are still a part of the community.

I've noticed in the church I come from there seem to be a high percentage of handicapped people. Then I thought, you know, this is probably the NORMAL distribution of handicapped people but because of the particular culture of this church these people aren't hidden. For instance one very old woman is severely retarded and doesn't speak but can sing by humming the songs. So she comes to church and sings, not always at the appropriate time and sometimes she gets up and switches the light switches on and off. And if you leave a glass of water ungarded, she will grab it and drink it. Everyone is used to these things and it is no big deal. It is not a reason to leave her at home during services and fun activities. Her aged sister cares for her. And there are many more examples. This woman could easily have been institutionalized, in fact that was what the family was pressured to do, but she wasn't.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:28 pm

I already posted this in the new fanfic up section but:

Chapter 6 of Mestral's Adventures by Silverbullet.

Maggie and Mestral make it to the Grand Canyon.

Author's note: Just for fun, I’ve written myself into this chapter of the story. See if you can spot me.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Silverbullet
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Silverbullet » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:10 pm

Distracted, seventh and final chapter has been written and is in the hands ofmy Beta. If no changes are needed it will be posted soon. This finishes the challenge. I sincerely hope I did not disappoint.

Silverbullet
I am Retired. Having a good time IS my job

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:07 pm

Your best effort will never disappoint, SB. Just the fact that you're interested in writing about our favorite TV show is a marvelous thing. 8)
Image sig by chrisis1033

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:33 pm

I would like to challenge Linda to write a Soval and Trip story. They can be trapped somewhere, sequestered for some reason or just spending some quality time together -- your choice. I would like to see Soval explain Vulcan women to one very emotional Human. Do Vulcan men have trouble understanding Vulcan women? Does Soval understand T'Pol? What does Soval really think of Trip -- and of Trip being together with T'Pol? Will you accept the challenge?

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:17 pm

Oooooh! I'd like to see this one! Soval tries to explain Vulcan women to Trip! :lol: Be interesting to see Soval's views on the subject. :thumbsup:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sun Feb 21, 2010 3:53 pm

First post has been updated as Distracted has completed her response to Linda's challenge!

Who's next???

P.S. Honeybee--I haven't forgotten about your challenge to me. I'm sure you're aware that the life of a college student is a busy one. The week after next is Spring Break, so I hope to work on it then. 8) Sorry to keep you waiting. :oops:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:49 pm

I'm now open for a challenge. :wave:
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Dinah, I accept your challenge! This will be a fun fic to write.

I may take a little while at it as I am on my last week of employment on the job I had for 26 years. The parting is a bit, shall we say, emotional? But I am sure being at home (until I find other employment), I will be glad of projects to keep me active! :D
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:29 pm

Distracted, you fulfilled my challenge to you admirably! :thumbsup: And fast !

Having experience with children with challenges is quite educational isn't it? In a way, it makes you slow your pace and find new ways to relate to people. I think most of us have known families with challenged children, or have experienced this within our own families as you, I, and Silverbullet have. It is a bittersweet experience indeed - some exeriences indeed being filled with joy and compassion, others ending in grief...and in my family, I am sad to say, suicide. But your story has been uplifting and hopeful. Thanks!

Now I am sure other people are eager to challenge you with fresh and interesting story ideas!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”