fanfiction.net

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Aquarius
Site Admin

Re: fanfiction.net

Postby Aquarius » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:29 pm

:dunno: Still means they liked it!
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:33 pm

Yes, yes, of course. Just ... I'm assuming that at that rate they probably like almost anything.

It's just one of those moments when one's ego gets a useful adjustment, that's all. 8)
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:35 pm

I concur.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:20 pm

justTripn wrote:Another episode in Silverbullet's "Tag You're It" story (a challenge from Distracted):

Mestral's Adventures -Chapter 3

It's the pon far chapter! D. wanted to know whether "he [Mestral] spent enough time with Maggie at Carbon Creek for a fledgling bond to begin to form." I think you are going to like the way Silverbullet handles this. It feels "just right."

Also chapter 4 of this story just needs a quick edit for punctuation and it is otherwise ready. The story gets rolling!
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Thu May 20, 2010 9:55 pm

Has anyone else had trouble with fanfiction.net lately? I may have overestimated the interest in my stories, by I've never gone an entire week with absolutely nothing on Reader Traffic. I know it was down for about 4 days last month, too, because I got several reviews for a story that showed it had no reader traffic. I don't think it's my computer because I've posted several stories for Silverbullet during these periods and his reader traffic seems to be doing just fine. What am I doing wrong? :dunno:

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu May 20, 2010 10:00 pm

Hmm I have no idea.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu May 20, 2010 10:03 pm

Dinah wrote:Has anyone else had trouble with fanfiction.net lately? I may have overestimated the interest in my stories, by I've never gone an entire week with absolutely nothing on Reader Traffic. I know it was down for about 4 days last month, too, because I got several reviews for a story that showed it had no reader traffic. I don't think it's my computer because I've posted several stories for Silverbullet during these periods and his reader traffic seems to be doing just fine. What am I doing wrong? :dunno:

Yeah, it's been acting weird the last week or so.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

pdsldl
Captain
Captain

Postby pdsldl » Thu May 20, 2010 10:08 pm

My story seems to be fine. But opposite happening to mine. Over 700 hits since last Monday no reviews. I know people are reading because I keep getting notices for alerts but they just don't say anything. And the alerts I have set up are showing up in my email so I assume the system is working okay. Although I have had problems recently with long delays after i receive those notices and when the chapters are actually available to read.
Always Follow Your Heart

http://psdunc.wordpress.com/

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Thu May 20, 2010 10:24 pm

That happened to me in the midst of some missing scenes last month and I sent them an email. It got fixed that night, but I don't know if that was just a coincidence since they didn't respond. The stats were never fixed, however, so I guess that's just a big blank hole. (I also know they're messed up because I received reviews the same days I had zero visitors.)

The proportion of people who review at ff.net is abysmal, especially since out of the universe of kind people who leave reviews, most will have already reviewed you here. The proportion seems even lower, though, if you look at hits instead of visitors, because some folks take multiple tries to get through a longer piece, or if you have multiple chapters, they're (hopefully) reading each one, and each chapter will count as a separate hit. Also, this stat obviously includes people who just pop in to try something and then pop out.
Image.Image

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu May 20, 2010 10:29 pm

I always look at the least read chapter to get a gauge of how many actual readers I get. Funny, the least read chapters are always smut-free. I wonder why? ;)
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri May 21, 2010 6:21 am

Alelou wrote:Also, this stat obviously includes people who just pop in to try something and then pop out.
The persons that just pop in en pop out - are those the hits? I have a difference between my hits and vistors on FFnet and I wondered about it.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Fri May 21, 2010 11:27 am

Visitors is the truest count of number of people who see your story. Hits include each time someone come back. So in a multiple-chapter story, you'll have a lot more hits than visitors. In a short one-shot, the numbers will be a lot closer. Long stories sometimes take readers multiple stops to get through, so those get more hits, too.

If you look up your story stats, you can see how many hits each chapter gets. Honeybee is right that you can kind of figure your number of sustained readers by the chapter with the lowest number. At any rate, you'll notice a real drop-off from the first chapter to the second as some people just try your story and then bail because they read the warnings or they can see it's not their thing. (A/T'Polers for example!)
Image.Image

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri May 21, 2010 2:27 pm

honeybee wrote:I always look at the least read chapter to get a gauge of how many actual readers I get. Funny, the least read chapters are always smut-free. I wonder why? ;)

I always suspected people come back to re-read dirty parts! :guffaw:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”