fanfiction.net

The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: fanfiction.net

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:41 pm

I can handle criticism of my work, but when somebody calls me and "f-moron" and then says "like the story... you're this, that," and a whole lot of other unspeakable names. I quit.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:00 pm

Eh, people who give feedback like THAT are just desperately trying to project their own misery and outrage that the world doesn't love them enough onto you. It never really has anything at all to do with you or your story. You're just a safe, anonymous target. It's a shame to let a few random jerks chase you away from something you would otherwise enjoy. Just report them and get them blocked. And maybe also disable anonymous reviews if you have them -- apparently that can help.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:11 pm

But why go through all that trouble when you don't have too? I went to another awesome site, made lots of connections. As a matter of fact I'm thinking of starting my KOTOR fic again, I'm happy with the way it turned out.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:32 pm

Of course you don't have to. Personally I like fanfic.net, so I'd put up with a fair amount of caca to stay there.

I haven't put up anything new in awhile but I've had notices from people I've never heard of, who seem to be coming from other fandoms -- Harry Potter, especially, but also Jag, Transformers, etc. It would be so cool if Enterprise were catching on. Kind of doubt that, though, since you can't even watch it on TV in this country right now, as far as I can tell. Maybe it's on SyFy once in awhile, but I never catch it. I would have thought that after the movie would be a great time to build audience for it, but apparently SyFy didn't agree, or perhaps the ratings didn't.
Image.Image

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:30 am

Well, I did it. I took the plunge and posted something on fanfiction.net (I put up my first story 'Commissioning')

Thank you all very much for the advice and insights. It was most helpful.
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:33 am

I wil read it once more. :thumbsup:
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:34 am

I'm sure you'll be great! Goodnight!

Fics

auroraborealis
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby auroraborealis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:53 am

I go to fanfic occationally. But honestly never for TnT stuff. I go there for Malcolm. Lol. A couple of problems with ff.net is that a lot of stories are never finished which can drive you insane. Another thing is a lot of the time people aren't honest in thier summaries and they put slash in their stories without telling you... which can be annoying. The other thing is there doesn't seem to be much of a community there. I like the people on this site and can identify the different personalities here. It makes reading the fiction and recieving comments more fun, espicially if comments come from authors you admire. I post on ff.net, but mostly just to because I like to get as much feedback as I can. Another place that I don't post at but I do read is entstcommunity.com. There's a lot of slash there too, but it has it's own catagory so you can avoid it if you want. The best Malcolm story I've ever read I found on that site. It was The Protector series by ShiShi. OMG. I think I mention that story in every thread I write in. If you like Malcolm+Hoshi READ IT. But anyway I digress. ff.net is fine if your not looking for anything personal.

Lady Rainbow
Captain
Captain
Twitter username: ladyrainbow

Postby Lady Rainbow » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:13 pm

I second Shi Shi's Protector's Series!!! She is an amazing writer!

A lot of my stuff is on ff.net (my ENT and Stargate Atlantis stories) and on Warp 5 Complex (I'm Raziela over there...)

The quality of stories at both kinda varies, but there are plenty of wonderful writers over at ff.net (Volley's Friend in Need Series, for example). I like their convenient way of uploading documents and adding chapters to stories. You can put certain authors on a favorites list, and e-mail alerts if a story's been updated/a favorite author has a new story up. One thing that gets me, though, is how so many people have one of my stories on alert, but never review. :vulcan:

For the most part, I've had really good experiences at ff.net, except for one. I had a similar problem where a few idiots sent really nasty reviews and were general a$$holes about my Switcheroo series. I ended up taking the whole series down (I'm rewriting it now), but I was really gun-shy about posting anything else for a while. But I don't let that bad experience stop me from posting again.
Avatar of Hoshi/Malcom "The Dogwalker" courtesy of ivymae at http://www.captainsoma.com/enterpriseoddities/main.html

Siggy complete with beagle! :)

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 pm

Lady Rainbow wrote:One thing that gets me, though, is how so many people have one of my stories on alert, but never review. :vulcan:

Indeed. That happens also to me. :?
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

justTripn
Consigliere

Postby justTripn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:05 pm

WarpGirl wrote:I can handle criticism of my work, but when somebody calls me and "f-moron" and then says "like the story... you're this, that," and a whole lot of other unspeakable names. I quit.

I remember Rigil sharing a crazy comment someone had left under one of his stories. It went on for pages and had nothing to do with Rigil's story. All I can remember from this distance is that the person was a Next Generation fan and objected to the way they call the ship "Enterprise" on Enterprise, rather than "the Enterprise" as on the Next Generation. And he also explained why Enterprise (all of them) should have been spelled with a "z." But know that some great writers get some crazy comments.The person clearly was prone to obsession and his obsession was temporarily directed at Rigil.
I'm donating my body to science fiction.

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:35 pm

Yep. Whenever somebody gets hostile or mean, you have to figure there's probably something going on in their life ... or in their psyche ... and maybe quite accidentally you pushed a button, or maybe it was nothing at all, but they're just looking for some nice safe anonymous way to blow up on somebody online because they can't do it in real life with someone they actually know.

Or maybe they're just nutty, angry people online AND in real life. In which case, hoorah that we don't have to cope with them for real.
Image.Image

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:37 pm

Most people who don't like your story - stop reading and shut up. Unless they have something constructive to say. Hostile, ineffective comments are just silly.

I've noticed that my MU fic is getting a whole new set of readers and commenters. Some people just like the MU.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:50 pm

Asso wrote:
Lady Rainbow wrote:One thing that gets me, though, is how so many people have one of my stories on alert, but never review. :vulcan:

Indeed. That happens also to me. :?

Realistically, though, putting your stories on alert is a tacit positive review; they like it (and you) enough that they want to make sure not to miss anything.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Alelou » Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:27 pm

That's what I tell myself with "favorite stories" that get no review, too. At least until I flip over to the person's profile and see that she has another 1,400 favorite stories. :lol:
Image.Image

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”