Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: fanfiction.net

Postby Alelou » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:46 pm

honeybee wrote:As for the Warp 5 Complex, it's funny. Yes, they are very anything goes. But there's more G rated and Gen fics than anything else. But since they do allow most everything - it gets a reputation for being very dirty. What is interesting is that they have the most robust and clear rating system of any site I've ever seen. You are forced to label which pairings your are doing and whether it is slash or het or something else. So, it's hard to inadvertently stumble somewhere you're not wanting to go.

And that fact that I was so welcomed even though I don't write slash, it's cool with me to post there. Besides, I'd like to see the TnT numbers get bigger over there, even though they are the most popular non-slash pairing. I figure if they are cool with me posting my romantic TnT stuff, I'm going to be cool with them - even if I might steer clear of some of stuff there.

I've occasionally gone to the Warp 5 Complex looking for someone I haven't seen before, but I don't find much. (Konstantine, maybe? I like his/her stuff.) But I haven't noticed the procedure there for giving feedback or for reading other people's comments. Am I just missing it?

I do very much like the site design at Warp 5. It's clean and attractive, the rotating photos are cool, and you can adjust the size of the font for your eyesight.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:48 pm

You have to be registered to leave comments. Not as many people do, but people have left reviews for my stuff. Then, you can post a reply that appears in italics beneath it. There's no function for personal messages, though.
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

Aikiweezie
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Aikiweezie » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:37 pm

honeybee wrote:You have to be registered to leave comments. Not as many people do, but people have left reviews for my stuff. Then, you can post a reply that appears in italics beneath it. There's no function for personal messages, though.

I have a bunch of stories posted at ff.net. Never had any issues with them. It's nice when people add you to their favorite stories or authors lists. And you can send personal messages. I've communicated quite a bit through ff.net.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:44 pm

Is it just the SW's crowd that's brutal?
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...
Donna Moss: The West Wing

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics
May We Together Become Greater Than The Sum Of Us
*Rights,* Wrongs, and Choices

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris

Postby Alelou » Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:59 am

No idea, but as of yet I've never been brutalized on ff.net. Here, on the other hand, a few people have left real doozies. And no, I don't mean anyone who hangs on the boards. Seems like they're always people I've never heard of before. I try to feel flattered -- as far as I can tell, they haven't left a speck of feedback for anyone ever, but my story moved them to tell me how terrible it was! :lol:
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:04 am

Alelou wrote:I try to feel flattered -- as far as I can tell, they haven't left a speck of feedback for anyone ever, but my story moved them to tell me how terrible it was! :lol:

That's when you know you're a big deal! :thumbsup: 8) :lol:
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

honeybee
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby honeybee » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:09 am

They are just jealous Alelou. ;-)

I've gotten a few intense emails - "I object to T'Pol's father being a Romulan because. . . ." which is fair. Although, I wish they'd read the first chapter of the story then decide they didn't like it rather than writing an email based on a ten-word summary. LOL

I actually think you are right about the gorgeous design of the Warp 5 Complex. All those pretty screenshots - plus the text is very easy to read. Plus, the clear, hard-core labeling system. It's good design.

However, if you do upload your stuff there, you have to hand code stuff like italics - so people don't usually put them in unless really necessary. I do it for bondspeak, but don't bother italicizing the names of ship or anything. I'm not that committed. (I do have a shipper competitive streak, so I would like to see the TnT fic index get fatter over there.)
Now Playing: Embers, Spark, Flame the Prequel to Family Secrets

Avatar made by Hopeful Romantic! Thanks!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:14 am

My thing was that the attacks I suffered weren't because of my writing. They were just cruel people who attacked others. It happened to a lot of my fellow SW's Kotorians as well. Some brilliant writers STOPPED writing because of the FF.net creep population. Like I said maybe it was just my own fandom but that place scares me for writing and talking.
Some of these people haven't taken their medication. Let's see what happens now...

And by people WG had herself in mind, but then the quote would have been ruined.
Fics

Aquarius
Site Admin

Postby Aquarius » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:49 am

I've heard tons of complaints about that from SW people, but few form Trek people. It could just be localized to SW like you thought.
Eian built my avatar! Banner by Misplaced!

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:59 am

Certainly possible. But I'm forever a nervous-nelly because of it. It was BAD! And I had it easy. Some people I knew had it MUCH worse. I just don't want to go through it again an ANY fandom.

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:25 am

I do like, as Alelou mentioned, that the Malcolm crowd posts some good stuff on ff.net. Volley and RoaringMice are my favorite Malcolm writers.

Although, frankly, Drown Malcolm month has gotten so that there's nary an original plot to be found, I think.

Anyway, I've been avoiding ff.net because I blame it for the computer virus I got. I know, it's some idiot hacker/virus author who will no doubt never see their richly-deserved prison sentence who's really to blame. But the night I got it I spent some 3 hours reading Doctor Who stories on ff.net. So I'm leery.

I actually have some stories I want to get off there and onto my USB drive, since I don't have copies of older stories due to my old computer dying unexpectedly, and even some stories from when I was in high school (wonder if those are even any good...). May have to do this transfer on one of the university's computers... I think they pay for the really good virus protection.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:30 am

I got that virus once. you have to close the window by clicking the x NEVER HIT CANCEL! That virus was awful!

Fics

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:36 am

Oh yeah, the review alerts at ff.net are nice. It's great when someone reviews something you wrote a year or more ago and you'd never know they just left a review.

WarpGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby WarpGirl » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:37 am

I really wish we had those.

Fics

bluetiger
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby bluetiger » Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:38 am

honeybee, I tried to send you a PM here at Triaxian Silk a couple of weeks ago to thank you for reviewing my stories at ff.net, they looked so sad with no comments. I also reviewed and teased you about a certain story of yours I read at Warp5, however the message was never picked up so I deleted it a week later. I just hope you didn't think it was anything bad. I would not send anyone a mean message. I read alot of stuff at all three sites. I get very few reviews at ff.net but a fair amount of traffic.
Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are. (Mason Cooley)

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”