Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Alelou
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Twitter username: @sheerhubris
Show On Map: No

Re: Status and Support

Postby Alelou » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:50 pm

You can only do what you can do. I suck at it right now. I haven't touched North Star in months and months. Had a couple of pokes, too. I haven't even been reading fanfic, and I'm way behind reading the books of various new indie novelist friends.

Everything just takes so much time! That is something in enormously short supply for me right now. I can't wait until this house is sold and I can settle into a new routine, hopefully a much simpler one with A LOT more reading and writing time.

On the plus side, we finally got a new (used) washer and new (really new) stove this week. What a joy to not have to be trying to plan a trip for the laundromat when the most machines will be available with the least amount of jockeying.
OMG, ANOTHER new chapter! NORTH STAR Chapter 28
Image.Image
Read opening chapters free at Amazon (US): The Awful Mess: A Love Story
Blog: Sheer Hubris Press / Twitter: @sheerhubris / Facebook: Sandra Hutchison

Linda
Commodore
Commodore

Postby Linda » Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:17 am

Having to go to the laundromat does suck! And being in the process of selling a house is ever worse. It makes my complaint shrink to microscopic! But misery loving company, though trite, is oh so true. Thanks, Alelou, it helps. :surprisehug: I guess I will just have to apologize to the impatient reader and concentrate the best I can on getting things done. :dunno:
Working on a major fan fic project. Two-thirds done. Hope to put it up in the not TOO distant future.

Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cap'n Frances » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:46 am

I hope both of you will have more time soon for fan fic projects. I'm looking forward to more of North Star and to seeing what Linda has been working on. I'm sure both will be worth the wait.

I'm working on a multiple-chapter story now. It is giving me more appreciation of what is involved in creating something like that. I've been considering posting one or two chapters before the rest is finished. Unfortunately, I'm having a lot of trouble with chapter 2. It won't surprise me if that is the last part I finish.

I'm impressed that so many of you have been able to create such complex and excellent stories. I hope to join that club before too long.

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:31 pm

I too, hope you join the multi-chapter story club! As for me, I hope to one day join that even more exclusive club: those who *finished* their multi-chapter stories...
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cap'n Frances » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:09 am

Thanks, Transwarp. I'm looking forward to you joining the club of those who have finished multi-chapter stories. I've really enjoyed your stories and want to read more.

Frances

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:03 pm

Actually got some writing done on The Ocean of Night, thanks to my new trick of getting things done by procrastinating on something else (sorry Weeble). I need to wrap up this little Edos arc and get on to the real meat of the story!

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:33 pm

Well, what matters is that the story can continue!
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Cap'n Frances
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cap'n Frances » Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:43 am

putaro wrote:Actually got some writing done on The Ocean of Night, thanks to my new trick of getting things done by procrastinating on something else (sorry Weeble). I need to wrap up this little Edos arc and get on to the real meat of the story!

I'm glad you got it done. I hope we'll see more of the story soon.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:06 pm

Can some one help me? I am thinking about the scene that takes place during the Romulan war. Trip is assigned to come up with a new method to keep the warp core quicker on line and to power up a vessel more quickly and to more speed.

I have no idea how a warp core works, so what would you suggest that makes the above possible? How do you fire up a warp core?
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:15 am

Oooh, techno babble.

Hmmm....the way the warp reactor is described, the basic power is provided by matter and anti-matter being combined. Since this tends to make a big boom, it must be done very precisely (1 milligram of antimatter mixed with matter results in a blast equivalent to 40 tons of TNT) and in precise quantities.

The result of this anti-matter reaction is plasma, which is the fourth state of matter, and usually at a very high temperature. This plasma gets routed to the warp nacelles and warp coils via the EPS (Electro-Plasma System) to make things go.

So, let's assume that we need to get the warp reactor and EPS grid up to operating temperature so that the plasma doesn't condense. I don't think you could keep a reserve of hot plasma, but maybe you could if there was a really well insulated container. Fluorescent lights get started with an electrical arc. Perhaps a large capacitor (based on some new alien technology) would allow a big electrical discharge to be run through a gas in the reactor, turning it to plasma and heating everything up quickly.

Distracted
Site Donor

Postby Distracted » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:49 pm

Oooooo. Shiny. :shock:
I am in awe of your technobabble skills, sir. :hatsoff:
Image sig by chrisis1033

putaro
Captain
Captain

Postby putaro » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:21 am

Techno babble is sometimes too much babble and you have to be careful your babble doesn't go in the wrong direction. One thing I was forgetting about plasma - it's star temperature hot so if it touches anything solid it will either melt it or cool off so much it's not a plasma anymore (I think Elessar actually knows about this for real). Containing plasma has been a real challenge for nuclear fusion research (e.g. tokamaks). Usually it's done with magnetic fields. Star Trek has cool things like force fields as well so maybe a force field could be used to contain it and insulate it if you think having a hot reservoir would be cool.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:17 am

putaro wrote:Oooh, techno babble.

Hmmm....the way the warp reactor is described, the basic power is provided by matter and anti-matter being combined. Since this tends to make a big boom, it must be done very precisely (1 milligram of antimatter mixed with matter results in a blast equivalent to 40 tons of TNT) and in precise quantities.

The result of this anti-matter reaction is plasma, which is the fourth state of matter, and usually at a very high temperature. This plasma gets routed to the warp nacelles and warp coils via the EPS (Electro-Plasma System) to make things go.

So, let's assume that we need to get the warp reactor and EPS grid up to operating temperature so that the plasma doesn't condense. I don't think you could keep a reserve of hot plasma, but maybe you could if there was a really well insulated container. Fluorescent lights get started with an electrical arc. Perhaps a large capacitor (based on some new alien technology) would allow a big electrical discharge to be run through a gas in the reactor, turning it to plasma and heating everything up quickly.

Thank you so much! This is really helpful and one suggestion fits very well with a particular story line.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Eireann
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby Eireann » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:48 am

If any of you kind people out there could oblige, advice is required please, for my latest blockbuster! (ahem!)

At what age would you think an officer cadet would leave Starfleet Academy - and am I right in thinking that they would start at the rank of Ensign and receive a posting at their graduation ceremony?

Grateful for any words of wisdom on the subject!

Transwarp
Captain
Captain

Postby Transwarp » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:02 am

Since Starfleet doesn't exist yet, feel free to do whatever works best for the story.

Usually a graduation/commissioning ceremony is all about graduating. Getting an assignment or orders is a separate event, and may come before OR after graduation. In the real world, a newly commissioned officers first assignment is some sort of specialty training (infantry, armor, artillery, submarines, surface warfare, etc...)
Very funny, Scotty. Now beam down my clothes.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”