The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Rigil's New Endeavour thread...

Postby Rigil Kent » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:37 pm

Well, normally, I don't provide that sort of information about a fic beforehand, and generally keep the plot under my hat. The whole Janus fic is an experiment in being more open with the creative process, primarily due to my general lack of ... I don't want to say "lack of interest in the MU" although that's partially accurate. I guess by simply stating that the MU doesn't interest me as much as the RU (mostly 'cause I find it more than a little silly), I can probably give you a good idea as to why I did be more open so as to get feedback and suggestions and the like from people who do like the MU. This way, I can (hopefully) get some suggestions as to how to make said fic better since it's not in my area of expertise.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

cherryblossomjen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby cherryblossomjen » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:19 pm

Cool.

I found quite a few of the ideas/suggestions intriguing.

How would you compare the writing process between a story you develop without any prior external input to this one, where you've opened it up for discussion? Would you say there have been pros and cons, or has it been entirely beneficial?

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:14 am

An interesting question, and not one that has an easy answer. For the most part, I already had a fairly firm plot/story plan in place, and all of the adjustments I've made have been relatively minor ones based on comments from people. For example, a number of people have stated that they would like a little more detail into Tucker's mindset and how he could go from the Man With No Spine to Fission Bombs From Orbit, and that's caused me to tweak my approach slightly.

So, truthfully, I haven't made any significant changes to my plan ... although some minor, peripheral changes have occurred.

And ... that probably doesn't answer your question, does it?
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

rogue
Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Postby rogue » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:13 am

Rigil - for a person with a "lack of interest" in the MU - you are writing one helluva story!

Edited because I misspelled Rigil's name :duh:
Last edited by rogue on Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Asso
Site Donor

Postby Asso » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:36 am

I, too, read finally the scenes you wrote. Really considerable and filled with ideas.
Well yes. I continue to write. And on Fanfiction.Net, for those who want, it is possible to cast a glance at my latest efforts. We arrived to
The Ears of the Elves, chapter Forty-four

And here is the beginning of the whole story.

But, I must say, you could also find something else on Fanfiction.net written by me. If you want.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:49 pm

rogue wrote:Rigel - for a person with a "lack of interest" in the MU - you are writing one helluva story!

Probably because I'm trying to approach it from a more realistic point of view than the showrunners ever did. If you think about it, the Mirror Universe is kind of silly, and that really shows in the later DS9 episodes where it sort of degenerates into sheer camp. Yeah, I get that some people really like the MU, but it's hard for me to get really, really excited about it. I'm even kind of indifferent toward IAMD (although T'Pol looked fantastic) for the over-the-top portrayals of some of the characters (Archer, for example, or Reed).

I'm glad that it's being enjoyed and received as well as it is, though. I'll try to get the new act up some time in the near future ...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

cherryblossomjen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Postby cherryblossomjen » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:46 am

Rigil Kent wrote:An interesting question, and not one that has an easy answer. For the most part, I already had a fairly firm plot/story plan in place, and all of the adjustments I've made have been relatively minor ones based on comments from people. For example, a number of people have stated that they would like a little more detail into Tucker's mindset and how he could go from the Man With No Spine to Fission Bombs From Orbit, and that's caused me to tweak my approach slightly.

So, truthfully, I haven't made any significant changes to my plan ... although some minor, peripheral changes have occurred.

And ... that probably doesn't answer your question, does it?

Not entirely, but that's okay. I was just curious and your answer gives me enough to draw some conclusions. :)

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:31 pm

Act Two of Endeavour: Janus is uploaded.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Entilzha
Captain
Captain

Postby Entilzha » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:36 am

Nice :thumbsup:
You live for The One, you die for The One.

krn
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby krn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:56 am

the plot thickens (queue dramatic music).

Too bad for Eisler - maybe next time. :D
--
I got hugged

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:29 pm

I can see him wanting to eliminate the inkmonkeys if he thought they were a threat. But wouldn't he want to interrogate them first?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:12 pm

May I point you to something? (He asks with a maniacal cackle)
"Major," the CSO said abruptly. Heinrich glanced in his direction, and Hensen continued, eyes still on his systerm. "Three crewmen just popped up on the data sweep. They have some tentative links to our dead guys. All three are inkmonkeys, but there are holes in their records."

And then later...
On either side of him were two Admin crewmen, and their presence on the ARC when Mackenzie climbed aboard had nearly caused him to groan. Both were IntSec operatives who technically answered to him, but they were inkmonkeys and data pushers, not field ops. The only time they were supposed to set foot on enemy ground was long after it had been pacified by MACOs and orbital bombardment. If Colin hadn't already realized that this was a trap before he climbed aboard, their presence made it pretty clear.

Anything stand out in there? :twisted:

Sig by Chrisis1033.

blacknblue
Site Admin

Postby blacknblue » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:51 pm

That there were only two of them on the mission. Therefore the third is still onboard and presumably Eisler is going to grill him for supper. Straightforward enough. I presume he was willing to forego whatever the other two may have known in return for scaring the crap out of the COB?
"When the legends die, the dreams end. When the dreams end, there is no more greatness."
--Tecumseh
"It is better to be a live jackal than a dead lion."
--King Solomon the Wise
"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Unless the few are armed.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:06 pm

Or kill him. It's entirely probable that Eisler was planning on a little bit of fratricide...

Sig by Chrisis1033.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:10 pm

So, my mind has once again been making unusual connections, and I just had a thought: it would be interesting if some of the people who are now flooding Starfleet for the war effort end up being surprised and appalled. In WWI some of the guys went off thinking that, once they returned war heros, it'd be easier to get a girlfriend. Nine out of ten of those first enlisters died. Now I think that after the attack on Earth people would be a little less naive, but all the same I bet the experience would be different from what they expected.

Just a thought.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”