The bread and butter!

Moderators: justTripn, Elessar, dark_rain

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain
Show On Map: No

Re: Rigil's New Endeavour thread...

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri May 25, 2007 8:42 pm

But ... Rick doesn't know kung fu! Can it be Covert Action T'Pol with kung fu grip? Maybe LCDR Eisler with hand laser and knives. Don't forget Dr. Phlox with his bat.

Hess? Hmm. I guess I should probably deal with that, huh?
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

panyasan
Commodore
Commodore

Postby panyasan » Fri May 25, 2007 8:57 pm

Hi Rigil, I just starting to read your work and I really like it. Nice character development of TnT and interaction, nice new (international) characters.
Love is a verb.

Chapter 17 of Word of Ice is up!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8522099/17/World-of-Ice

The Naked Truth and other necessities of life

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12056258/1 ... es-of-life

Reanok
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Reanok » Fri May 25, 2007 9:05 pm

Nice to see a Trip chapter again I really liked it alot.

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Fri May 25, 2007 9:09 pm

panyasan wrote:Hi Rigil, I just starting to read your work and I really like it. Nice character development of TnT and interaction, nice new (international) characters.

Cool! Another fan! Hope you enjoy!

If you haven't already, I recommend you start from the beginning and work forward. Each fic builds upon the previous one, so if one hasn't read the previous ones, then one might be lost or confused. Order of sequence is:
  • Elysium
  • Endeavour: Vigrid
  • Endeavour: Ragnarok
  • Endeavour: Icarus
  • Endeavour: Pandora
  • Endeavour: Acheron
Believe it or not, despite not being done with ACH yet, some plotting for Endeavour: Grendel has already taken place...

Enjoy!

ETA: Cool! I got an email from a retired Navy enlisted guy re: my Endeavour fics, and he's offered to answer any questions I may have re: Naval jargon and stuff. If I had an evil smiley rubbing its hands together in a Monty Burns "Excellent." way, I'd use it right now.
"Go, and find the pit where these snakes hide. And be merciless." - Lorenzo de'Medici, Assassin's Creed: Lineage

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 26, 2007 12:20 am

Wow, what a wicked cool maneuver! Thumbs Up Cool But I don't suppose Endeavour's warp bubble can hold the Horizon for very long. Remember how the Columbia only could hold the Enterprise for a short while. Anyhow, they'll be out of the battle zone by then...
She's got an awfully nice bum!
-Malcolm Reed on T'Pol, in Shuttlepod One

Mitchell
Commander
Commander

Postby Mitchell » Sat May 26, 2007 1:59 am

Cool Yes Rigil Ive seen that scene. Confused An for the life of me I cant figure out why the heck they cut it out? Cool I personly have to watch that scene every time I watch the movie.
Sgt. Major Plumely. Cool Now theres a guy to base a Trek Captain, or Admiral on. Cool

Damn!! Thats it. No more pilots becoming Captains anymore. From this point on, only Cheif engineers, or Tactical officers only get to be promoted to the higher ranks. Man I cant decide Which Trip was better as, Cheif Engineer, or Captain. One things for sure he's brilliant in both positions.

Amazin scene man. Cool

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:Wow, what a wicked cool maneuver! Thumbs Up Cool But I don't suppose Endeavour's warp bubble can hold the Horizon for very long. Remember how the Columbia only could hold the Enterprise for a short while. Anyhow, they'll be out of the battle zone by then...

Horizon is a much smaller ship then a bulky NX class. Pluss Endeavour has been refitted with the New Warp core. More stable control of the Warp feild Id imagine. Granted she wont be able to pull off warp 5.5 while towin around Horizon's crippled Arse. But Endeavour should be able to manage warp 2, maybe 3 for awhile. Id imagine. Cool Atleast long enough to get to a safe distance that they could stop an transfer crew off the crippled hulk that is. They probably have a rallying, fall back/regrouping position the fleet was to meet at in case the battle went south.
TnT I love em. Very Happy

Dinah
Commander
Commander

Postby Dinah » Sat May 26, 2007 2:36 am

What a dynamite chapter! I love Captain Tucker! I really like the interplay you have going between Trip and T'Pol. Very nice. Even with all hell breaking loose around them, they're still aware of each other and sensitive to each others needs. As always your battle scenes were spot on. You really captured the desperation, selflessness, and utter horror of war.

JadziaKathryn
Commodore
Commodore

Postby JadziaKathryn » Sat May 26, 2007 4:20 am

There's a parting gift to the Romulans even Mitchell approves of - and he's not the type to like giving much to Romulans. Wink I like that it was a wild and crazy idea that Trip made work - it's very much in character for him.

It's also interesting because, the way you've written it, Archer seems like he'd almost rather be a pilot than a commodore. At least, that's the way I interpret it.

hth2k
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby hth2k » Sat May 26, 2007 5:09 am

Ever hear of the "Peter Principle"?

Archer is quite competant as a pilot. He has the skills, experience and apparently feel for that. As we all saw in the series he was not nearly as competant as a Captain and likely feels even less comfortible as a Admiral. He covers this with the usual bluster as would be expected from an egocentric test pilot. Qualities in one profession that can save your carcas may cost many many lives in another.

Although he does have experience as a Captain comanding a ship in combat apparently he has zero training in commanding a battle group but some experience. COnsider Babel in the series and a couple battles in this series. It is obvious he would be insecure in this position. Given the magnitude of this defeat added to previous defeats it is likely to be even greater now. I don't see that this time it is necessarily his fault given the situation as presented or that anyone else would have faired better.

HtH

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat May 26, 2007 5:41 am

Thanks for all of the comments.

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:But I don't suppose Endeavour's warp bubble can hold the Horizon for very long. Remember how the Columbia only could hold the Enterprise for a short while. Anyhow, they'll be out of the battle zone by then...

But haven't we seen ships towing other ships at warp speed in the past? I could swear that we had. Obviously, the surviving crew of Horizon will need to be transferred to Endeavour for the duration of the journey back to Earth, but I was really hoping to salvage Horizon herself. Ah well. Guess CDR Mayweather will have to get a Daedalus class named in honor of this Neptune. He better keep an eye on his copy of Chicago Mobs of the Twenties when he visits Sigma Iotia II...

Mitchell wrote:Cool Yes Rigil Ive seen that scene. Confused An for the life of me I cant figure out why the heck they cut it out? Cool I personly have to watch that scene every time I watch the movie.

Time, I think.

Damn!! Thats it. No more pilots becoming Captains anymore. From this point on, only Cheif engineers, or Tactical officers only get to be promoted to the higher ranks. Man I cant decide Which Trip was better as, Cheif Engineer, or Captain. One things for sure he's brilliant in both positions.

Pilots are fine too. Dan Hsiao is a pilot and you approved of his leadership abilities.

They probably have a rallying, fall back/regrouping position the fleet was to meet at in case the battle went south.

A logical assumption.

JadziaKathryn wrote:It's also interesting because, the way you've written it, Archer seems like he'd almost rather be a pilot than a commodore. At least, that's the way I interpret it.

That's actually how I interpret his character. First and foremost, he's a pilot. He was trained to be a pilot and loved being one. Although we didn't see it often on the show, I imagine he spent as much time "in the driver's seat" as possible for various reasons, ranging from love of doing it to maintaining his "flight hours" for his flight pay. But yeah, the way I interpret him, he's more comfortable behind the controls of a ship/plane/shuttlepod than he is being the captain/commodore. That's one of the reasons why I see him as a tragic character from this point forward in my universe. Due to his increasing duties, he won't have the time to pilot, so the two things that he loves the most in life (Erika, followed by being a pilot) have been taken from him, and he's trapped by both destiny/fate/whatever and his own personality to always move forward.

Believe it or not, Daniels will make an actual appearance in Endeavour: Grendel. I had an idea for a scene between him & Jon in this very regard that is just too cool (if I can write it correctly) to not do.

hth2k wrote:I don't see that this time it is necessarily his fault given the situation as presented or that anyone else would have faired better.

Completely agreed. The situation they were facing (a numerically superior force, aware of their approach, on prepared ground) made it such that no one (not Kirk or Sisko or Sheridan of B5) would have been able to salvage a victory out of this. If Archer had not made the immediate decision to order his forces to retreat, even more casualties would have occurred.

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 26, 2007 5:50 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:But I don't suppose Endeavour's warp bubble can hold the Horizon for very long. Remember how the Columbia only could hold the Enterprise for a short while. Anyhow, they'll be out of the battle zone by then...

But haven't we seen ships towing other ships at warp speed in the past? I could swear that we had.

Towed yes! At warp speed? I don't think so, not on ENT. I think they have in later era Treks, but I gather that they don't have the technology for a sustained towing at warp during the 22nd century.

Zane Gray
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Zane Gray » Sat May 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Hey, Rigil... just wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the latest story. Great battle scene - anyone who can write a battle use for the grappler is okay by me. Keep up the good work. Cool

BTW, WTF happened to my rank?! Wasn't I like a Captain before the board crash? Now I've been busted down to Ensign? Curse technology failures...
Zane Gray

"I'll see you again after this Romulan business is finished. I promise."

Shakabutt
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Shakabutt » Sat May 26, 2007 5:58 pm

I keep avoiding this thread so not to get spoiled until the hole story is posted here ,but its getting harder and harder to restrain myself Smile

ps : Hey Zane ,any news on that fic of yours ?:)

Rigil Kent
Fleet Captain
Fleet Captain

Postby Rigil Kent » Sat May 26, 2007 6:17 pm

Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:But haven't we seen ships towing other ships at warp speed in the past? I could swear that we had.

Towed yes! At warp speed? I don't think so, not on ENT. I think they have in later era Treks, but I gather that they don't have the technology for a sustained towing at warp during the 22nd century.

But is there any canon evidence stating that they can't? It doesn't make much sense to me for there to be no way to get an otherwise intact ship back to drydock if it can't be towed in some fashion. Will it put a strain on Endeavour's engines? Absolutely. It'll also significantly slow their maximum velocity, and I can see them having to slow to impulse every other day or so to let the reactor cool down ... but I just can't see them not being able to ever tow a ship back to port for repairs.

Zane Gray wrote:anyone who can write a battle use for the grappler is okay by me.

Just for you, bud. Just for you. Cool

BTW, WTF happened to my rank?! Wasn't I like a Captain before the board crash? Now I've been busted down to Ensign? Curse technology failures...

That's what happens when you hit on the Vulcan commander while in presence of the ChEng. He didn't approve. Laughing

Sig by Chrisis1033.

Kevin Thomas Riley
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Kevin Thomas Riley » Sat May 26, 2007 6:34 pm

Rigil Kent wrote:
Kevin Thomas Riley wrote:
Rigil Kent wrote:But haven't we seen ships towing other ships at warp speed in the past? I could swear that we had.

But is there any canon evidence stating that they can't? It doesn't make much sense to me for there to be no way to get an otherwise intact ship back to drydock if it can't be towed in some fashion. Will it put a strain on Endeavour's engines? Absolutely. It'll also significantly slow their maximum velocity, and I can see them having to slow to impulse every other day or so to let the reactor cool down ... but I just can't see them not being able to ever tow a ship back to port for repairs.

As I mentioned (I think) we have the NX-02 sharing its warp bubble with the NX-01 for a very short while. Granted that was at high warp and the engine probably not as powerful as the one you have on the Endeavour. Still, I would think that it could tow the Horizon, but just for a short while and at low warp - and not all the way back to Earth.

But I think that there might be some auxillary (warp) towing vessels in Starfleet. Ships with just one large warp reactor and little else.

Return to “Trip and T'Pol Discussion”